News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Fakes or Leaks? Safari 2018 models

Started by acro-man, August 15, 2017, 09:11:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

acro-man

喜欢收集和P图
QQ: 909772216
Email: [email protected]
DeviantArt: www.deviantart.com/acro-man/

Flaffy

They seem oddly high in quality... Where did you find these images? Baidu forums?

Reptilia

They're pretty nice sculpt-wise, but isn't a bit early to have production pieces done? And usually what is written under Safari models, made in PRC? Another strange thing would be that Safari would have done two different mammoths for 2018. Anyway, I'm already excited to see what all companies have in store for next year.

ItsTwentyBelow

This is interesting indeed...they certainly have the look and finish of recent Safari figures. Looks like a Daeodon, Mastodon, and Columbian Mammoth, which are awesome choices! To me, the Daeodon looks like Doug's work.

I'm going with the assumption that those are real, unless confirmed otherwise. They do not look like bootlegged or dollar store figures. Where would these have otherwise originated if not Safari?

Real question, how does someone already have them posted in a lot?

Pachyrhinosaurus

Those are almost certainly leaks. The sculpts definitely have Doug's style to them. I can't wait to get them next year!

Quote from: Reptilia on August 15, 2017, 01:32:31 PM
Another strange thing would be that Safari would have done two different mammoths for 2018.

The smaller one's a mastodon.

suspsy

I'm sure Doug has no comment one way or the other until Safari officially reveals its 2018 lineup. If these are indeed legit, then consider me pleased and impressed, especially with the mastodon! But if that's the case, then Doug will probably be annoyed by the leaking.
IMG_0123 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

sauroid

these images are very cool and exciting.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Nanuqsaurus

The paint job on the Daedon doesn't look very good to me, but other than that, I'm impressed!

Reptilia

Paint job on Daeodon is usual Safari, no surprise, but the sculpt is cool. Of course it will look fairly better in the official promo images.

Isn't Mastodon a species of mammoth?

suspsy

No, the American mastodon is not part of the mammoth family. It belongs to this family:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mammutidae

Reptilia

Sorry, I thought they were. But it's a strange choice nonetheless. If these are legit, and l think they are, I'm very curious to see the rest of the line-up. Will it be so generous in number like last year? Will there be more mammals? The thing gets interesting.

acro-man

Quote from: FlaffyRaptors on August 15, 2017, 09:49:06 AM
They seem oddly high in quality... Where did you find these images? Baidu forums?

Some friend showed me these photos and said someone is selling them on Taobao.
While I didn't find any.

Quote from: Reptilia on August 15, 2017, 01:32:31 PM
And usually what is written under Safari models, made in PRC?

This is the name of the industrial city where, I believe, all Safari's are produced.
喜欢收集和P图
QQ: 909772216
Email: [email protected]
DeviantArt: www.deviantart.com/acro-man/

suspsy

How is the mastodon a strange choice? Mastodon toys are woefully few. Do you realize that if this is indeed a legit upcoming Safari product, it will end up being the first mastodon toy ever reviewed on the DTB?

If anything, this is one of the smartest choices Safari could have made.

Patrx

Hmm. If these are genuine new Safari pieces, why the different stamp? I wonder if Safari's production pieces for sale in China all say "Made in Dongguan, Guangdong, China", while those destined for sale internationally bear the more general "Made in China"? In any case, whoever's selling these is certainly not doing so with Safari's permission.

Interesting, too, that both elephants have basically the same pose, which is similar to that of the existing Wild Safari mammoth. I would actually welcome a Safari mastodon; Suspsy is correct that despite its popularity, it's a rare animal in toy form.

Reptilia

I'm only saying that's a strange choice to put it in the same line-up with a mammoth. They are similar animals, and they've made them even similar in pose. You see this from a collector perspective, so having a figure labelled as Mastodon is something different for you, but how many average customers will be appealed by two "prehistoric elephants", similarly sculpted, when they'll see them on the shelves? I don't know, that's just my impression.

The fact that there's the name of a city instead of simply China or PRC under the models sounds quite strange too to me, can anyone tell what's written under Safaris usually?

Patrx

Quote from: Reptilia on August 15, 2017, 03:47:08 PMThe fact that there's the name of a city instead of simply China or PRC under the models sounds quite strange too to me, can anyone tell what's written under Safaris usually?

They're normally stamped "Made in China".

Reptilia

Someone should contact Safari Ltd and ask about these models, or simply report that they are already circulating.

BlueKrono

I definitely want that Daeodon. Reminds me of Doug's Andrewsarchus from a few years back.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Pachyrhinosaurus

Quote from: Patrx on August 15, 2017, 03:54:54 PM
Quote from: Reptilia on August 15, 2017, 03:47:08 PMThe fact that there's the name of a city instead of simply China or PRC under the models sounds quite strange too to me, can anyone tell what's written under Safaris usually?

They're normally stamped "Made in China".

The 2017 rex also lists the city. Personally I'd prefer if they just said "PRC" since the stamp takes up so much space already.

suspsy

Quote from: Reptilia on August 15, 2017, 03:47:08 PM
I'm only saying that's a strange choice to put it in the same line-up with a mammoth. They are similar animals, and they've made them even similar in pose. You see this from a collector perspective, so having a figure labelled as Mastodon is something different for you, but how many average customers will be appealed by two "prehistoric elephants", similarly sculpted, when they'll see them on the shelves? I don't know, that's just my impression.

That's like saying that it was a strange choice to put the Tyrannosaurus rex and the Giganotosaurus in the same lineup given that they are both gigantic theropods with huge heads and tiny arms.

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.