News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Thoughts on Schleich "Dinosaurs" line (2016 onwards)

Started by Reptilia, July 21, 2017, 09:25:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reptilia

I'm not a Schleich fan, obviously, but I like to reflect on how companies work on their lines. Schleich started their current "Dinosaurs" line in 2016, with The first giants, which spanned from late Devonian up to early Jurassic:

- Dunkleosteus (late Devonian, 382-358 mya)
- Dimetrodon (early Permian, 295-272 mya)
- Herrerasaurus (late Triassic, 231 mya)
- Barapasaurus (early Jurassic, 196-183 mya)
- Dilophosaurus (early Jurassic, 193 mya)

This year the Conquering the Earth set went from late Jurassic to late Cretaceous:

- Stegosaurus (late Jurassic, 155-150 mya)
- Allosaurus (late Jurassic, 155-150 mya)
- Kentrosaurus (late Jurassic, 155-150 mya)
- Brachiosaurus (late Jurassic, 154-153 mya)
- Utahraptor (early Cretaceous, 126 mya)
- Acrocanthosaurus (early Cretaceous, 116-110 mya)
- Velociraptor (late Cretaceous, 75-71 mya)
- Carnotaurus (late Cretaceous, 72-69 mya)
- Tyrannosaurus (late Cretaceous, 68-66 mya)

Given that Schleich resculpted most of their pre-existing figures, next year's line-up might include the following, with maybe a couple of new entries:

- Spinosaurus (early to late Cretaceous, 112-93 mya)
- Giganotosaurus (late Cretaceous, 97 mya)
- Parasaurolophus (late Cretaceous, 76-74 mya)
- Pentaceratops (late Cretaceous, 75-73 mya)
- Styracosaurus (late Cretaceous, 75 mya)
- Saichania (late Cretaceous, 75-70 mya)
- Therizinosaurus (late Cretaceous, 70-66 mya)
- Triceratops (late Cretaceous, 68-66 mya)

I think that Anhanguera is ruled out, cause it's from early Cretaceous, as well as Quetzalcoatlus, which is just being reissued with the nest. I wouldn't mind to have a new Pentaceratops, and I'd be very curious to see how a new Parasaurolophus, Saichania, Styracosaurus or Triceratops might be. Not confident they could make any nice theropod though. I'm also quite interested to know if the line will feature any prehistoric mammal, since it started with a Devonian creature makes sense they could cover a very large period overall, including ice age beasts.

Takama

You hit my thoghts eaxatly, thoug you can rule out the  PArasaurolophus, because its  the World of History Version sold porly for there standards.

Reptilia

Their last Parasaurolophus was very bad in my opinion. The fact that sold poorly, as you say, might be an incentive to make a better one. But with Schleich you never know. I would love to see a marine reptile too, maybe a Tylosaurus.

Takama

Quote from: Reptilia on July 21, 2017, 09:37:42 PM
Their last Parasaurolophus was very bad in my opinion. The fact that sold poorly, as you say, might be an incentive to make a better one. But with Schleich you never know. I would love to see a marine reptile too, maybe a Tylosaurus.

I highly doubt that model will happen.   One thing i learnd is the more quickly a model is retired, the less likly it is to get Remade by them. and that Parasaurolophus lasted only couple years before it was axed, while most of the Original 2012 releases stuck around until now.

Reptilia

The Pentaceratops sold pretty well, I believe, so by your reasoning we can expect a new version just like the Kentrosaurus.

Irritation

I know this might be off-topic, but should I make a poll about Schleich remakes? I don't feel like doing it since people have negative reception to most of the figures.

Shonisaurus

I prefer new dinosaurs and prehistoric animals like the dinogorgon and tawa. I prefer new species that have never been made in the toy market and are well made. Schleich has shown with his tyrannosaurus rex and carnotaurus 2018 that can make figures but good, acceptable.

Apart from that it has made some last elaborate figures, we have a triceratops 2018 that is the best one that has been made in the last twenty years in the history of the company Schleich.  :)

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.