Author Topic: Facebook, Twitter, and Google+  (Read 4199 times)

dinotoyforum

• Dr Admin
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate survivor
  • Boy, do I hate being right all the time!
    • View Profile
    • The Dinosaur Toy Blog
  • Dinosaur: Rhomaleosaurus
  • v.1 status and posts: Admin (3,739 posts)
Re: Facebook, Twitter, and Google+
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2020, 12:59:14 PM »
Just a quick announcement that @Pachyrhinosaurus has stepped down from his duties as Dinotoyblog rep on our Facebook page. Thank you for all of your contributions over the years!

This means @Halichoeres is now the only active member of our social media team, continuing to do a stellar job on Twitter. So, I'm on the lookout again for anyone who may be able to become an admin for our Facebook page and help share new dinotoyblog posts there.

@Minmiminime does your offer from 2017 still stand?

Or, is it even worth keeping the Facebook page alive? What do members think?
« Last Edit: September 18, 2020, 01:01:42 PM by dinotoyforum »

ceratopsian

• Carboniferous survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2020, 02:43:13 PM »
Has it ever brought in new members? 

It might send people over to YouTube I suppose.

I have previously found it useful when the Forum is down (and hence the Forumís message system not available), as one can send a message via Messenger to investigate what is happening.   (I donít use Twitter.)

dinotoyforum

• Dr Admin
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate survivor
    • View Profile
    • The Dinosaur Toy Blog
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2020, 05:25:46 PM »

I have previously found it useful when the Forum is down (and hence the Forumís message system not available), as one can send a message via Messenger to investigate what is happening.   (I donít use Twitter.)

Good question. Nobody's ever mentioned Facebook in this thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=371.0

But I can check out my Google Analytics to find out... I'll do that now and report back!
« Last Edit: September 18, 2020, 05:26:17 PM by dinotoyforum »

Bokisaurus

• Global Moderator
  • Carboniferous survivor
    • View Profile
  • Dinosaur: Amargasaurus
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2020, 05:52:35 PM »

Good question. Nobody's ever mentioned Facebook in this thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=371.0

But I can check out my Google Analytics to find out... I'll do that now and report back!

It might not bring in new members, but I think it gives the blog a different exposure, I noticed some artists/ sculptors, you tuber, sometimes would like or share post.

dinotoyforum

• Dr Admin
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate survivor
    • View Profile
    • The Dinosaur Toy Blog
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2020, 06:08:52 PM »
Some numbers!

Facebook accounts for 1.06% (20,338) sessions of incoming traffic to the DTF and represents 47.31% of all social media traffic to the DTF (2.24% = 42,985 sessions) over the past five years.
Facebook accounts for 3.37% (39,436) sessions of incoming traffic to the DTB and represents 62.66% of all social media traffic to the DTB (5.37% = 62,935 sessions) over the past five years

Twitter accounts for 0.2% (3,925) sessions of incoming traffic to the DTF and represents 9.13% of all social media traffic to the DTF (2.24% = 42,985 sessions) over the past five years
Twitter accounts for 0.7% (8,155) sessions of incoming traffic to the DTB and represents 12.96% of all social media traffic to the DTB (5.37% = 62,935 sessions) over the past five years.

So the percentages are small but the absolute numbers are still substantial, and those sessions may turn into new members or repeat visitors.

Clearly, Facebook is more successful at generating visits than Twitter, even though the Facebook page has not been maintained as well. I think that's partly because there are more followers on Facebook, and partly because people use Twitter differently, it seems to be a more self-contained platform.

Syndicate Bias

• Silurian survivor
    • View Profile
  • Dinosaur: Giganotosaurus
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2020, 06:14:28 PM »
I was not aware that we even had a FB page. Given that I spend alot more time on FB feeds looking at current posts since my free roam account is mostly just for dinosaur stuff I see it as an ongoing support for us here to have more exposure since Twitter is well...not as engaging.

What exactly are all the responsibilities/expectations that come with the role for the FB page?
« Last Edit: September 19, 2020, 12:46:36 AM by Syndicate Bias »

dinotoyforum

• Dr Admin
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate survivor
    • View Profile
    • The Dinosaur Toy Blog
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2020, 12:56:58 PM »
I was not aware that we even had a FB page. Given that I spend alot more time on FB feeds looking at current posts since my free roam account is mostly just for dinosaur stuff I see it as an ongoing support for us here to have more exposure since Twitter is well...not as engaging.

What exactly are all the responsibilities/expectations that come with the role for the FB page?

The only duty is to keep an eye on the Dinosaur Toy Blog and share new reviews to the Facebook Page. But I'm also happy for the rep to share links to forum posts, reply to questions, comment as DTB on other posts across facebook, and generally inject a little personality and activity into the page.

Minmiminime

• View Profile
  • Dinosaur: "Gertie"
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2020, 09:13:46 PM »
Just a quick announcement that @Pachyrhinosaurus has stepped down from his duties as Dinotoyblog rep on our Facebook page. Thank you for all of your contributions over the years!

This means @Halichoeres is now the only active member of our social media team, continuing to do a stellar job on Twitter. So, I'm on the lookout again for anyone who may be able to become an admin for our Facebook page and help share new dinotoyblog posts there.

I...can't remember what I offered, but I do have a lot more free time now and I'm happy to help out any way I can  :)
"You can have all the dinosaurs you want my love, providing we have enough space"

dinotoyforum

• Dr Admin
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate survivor
    • View Profile
    • The Dinosaur Toy Blog
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2020, 05:07:00 PM »

I...can't remember what I offered, but I do have a lot more free time now and I'm happy to help out any way I can  :)

Ha, well it was a long time ago @Minmiminime. You offered to share new blog entries on the Dinotoyblog facebook page.

Minmiminime

• View Profile
  • Dinosaur: "Gertie"
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2020, 08:50:27 PM »

Ha, well it was a long time ago @Minmiminime. You offered to share new blog entries on the Dinotoyblog facebook page.

Ah, yes! That rings a bell  ^-^ I can certainly do that if you like!
"You can have all the dinosaurs you want my love, providing we have enough space"

Halichoeres

• Social media team
  • Ultimate survivor
  • Ichthyologist, illustrator, urbanist
    • View Profile
  • Dinosaur: Brembodus
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2020, 06:18:34 PM »
While we're on the subject, if you're a reviewer and you want me to tag you when I tweet your reviews, send me a message with your handle (or you can drop it here if you like).
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=3390.0

My trade/sale/wishlist thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=3299.0

Sometimes I draw pictures: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=4856.0