News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd.: New for 2018

Started by Patrx, August 25, 2017, 05:43:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Atroxious

Quote from: Neosodon on September 07, 2017, 07:53:38 PM
Quote from: Halichoeres on September 07, 2017, 06:21:42 PM
People who know more about theropods than I do: could that be a therizinosaur foot? It looks wrong for a bird foot, where I would expect the hallux to be pointed more or less directly backward.
The proportions look to off for any kind of therapod dinosaur. The other two look like a ram and whale so no dinosaurs in this teaser.

Bruh, it looks exactly like the foot of a theropod dinosaur. No other animal type has legs that look like that. The big question is what kind of theropod is it.

I'm sure it's not a therizinosaur. The foot is too long, the toe is rotated too far back, and it looks like either the belly is too deep or the thigh is held against the body, giving the effect of particularly short legs. The style of feathers says "dodo" to me, and I'm not entirely sure why. It could just as easily be a chicken.

Takama

For pete sakes,

IT IS A DINOSAUR FOOT.

Rather or not its extant remains to be seen ;)

terrorchicken

well its on a piece of "grass" iow its a figure they felt couldnt stand on their own. So thats also a clue.
it really doesn't feel like a dinosaur to me, it could be another prehistoric bird since they retired the gastornis...  hope its not a dodo though, I already have their old one. Wasn't there a moa relative with shorter thicker legs?
its also really sloppily painted!

Neosodon

Obviously I was talking about extinct terrestrial non avian dinosaurs.::) This is why I think there should be a terminology difference between birds and terrestrial dinosaurs. It would avoid allot of confusion. We don't go around calling people apes so why can't we do the same for birds?  Or maybe we should start calling this the Extinct Terrestrial Non Avian Dinosaur Toy Forum so people don't mistake us for just bird enthusiasts.

"3,000 km to the south, the massive comet crashes into Earth. The light from the impact fades in silence. Then the shock waves arrive. Next comes the blast front. Finally a rain of molten rock starts to fall out of the darkening sky - this is the end of the age of the dinosaurs. The Comet struck the Gulf of Mexico with the force of 10 billion Hiroshima bombs. And with the catastrophic climate changes that followed 65% of all life died out. It took millions of years for the earth to recover but when it did the giant dinosaurs were gone - never to return." - WWD

Takama

Quote from: terrorchicken on September 08, 2017, 05:53:37 PM
well its on a piece of "grass" iow its a figure they felt couldnt stand on their own. So thats also a clue.
it really doesn't feel like a dinosaur to me, it could be another prehistoric bird since they retired the gastornis...  hope its not a dodo though, I already have their old one. Wasn't there a moa relative with shorter thicker legs?

Birds are Dinosaurs

The Atroxious

Quote from: Neosodon on September 08, 2017, 05:54:34 PM
Obviously I was talking about extinct terrestrial non avian dinosaurs.::) This is why I think there should be a terminology difference between birds and terrestrial dinosaurs. It would avoid allot of confusion. We don't go around calling people apes so why can't we do the same for birds?  Or maybe we should start calling this the Extinct Terrestrial Non Avian Dinosaur Toy Forum so people don't mistake us for just bird enthusiasts.

I don't know about you, but there are certain people who I have often referred to as apes.

Jokes aside, when talking about classification, we do call humans apes, just as we call birds dinosaurs. The terms you're looking for are "avialan" or "bird" depending on how deep you want to get into the lineage, and "non-avian dinosaur".

Here's my five second fix:

Quote from: Neosodon on September 07, 2017, 07:53:38 PM
The proportions look like bird foot proportions. The other two look like a ram and whale so no non-avian dinosaurs in this teaser.

I don't think the "Extinct Terrestrial Non Avian Dinosaur Toy Forum" would work considering we cover all sorts of extinct animals, including mammals and fish. Also, for what it's worth, some of us are just bird enthusiasts.

BlueKrono

We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

stargatedalek

Quote from: BlueKrono on September 08, 2017, 06:33:24 PM
My money is 100% on dodo.
I reeeeaaally hope not. Not unless they're releasing it alongside Crystal Palace styled dinosaurs and the like.

The whole fat/fluffy/stupid bird thing is very outdated, and even these colours are incorrect. Their old dodo is still the only one that's vaguely close to reality and it's also very dated.

As interesting as a set of outdated reconstructions could be, I'd put money on it being a chicken.

BlueKrono

I'm pretty sure I know every breed of chicken out there, and none of them have ankles that thick.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Jose S.M.

To me that figure doesn't look very detailed, I think it might be part of a tube or mini pack.

Shonisaurus

It may be the elephant bird of the island of madagascar had shorter legs or a kind of dwarf moa (there were ten species of moas of various sizes before humans spread them), approximately in the 8th and 13th century of our era.

Faelrin

Wait so Dodo birds aren't the fat fluffy looking things I grew up with? Is there a good source for what they really were like then?
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

terrorchicken

yep, moa relative is what I was thinking:

though i guess it could also just be a chicken  :))

AcroSauroTaurus

Judging by the picture Terrorchicken posted, the hallux on the figure seems too long to be a Moa relative. We also don't see the tail fathers behind the legs, so the tail feathers must be up in the air. It could be a Greater Prairie chicken, the color of the leg feathers is right, and the males put their tails in the air when displaying. Or its a female Ring-necked Pheasant.
I am the Dinosaur King!

Appalachiosaurus

I bet you a nickel it's modern poultry. Probably a chicken with overly thick ankles due to it being a smaller toy, that kind of green hill base just screams "farm animal" to me.

tanystropheus

Quote from: Takama on September 08, 2017, 06:20:40 PM

Birds are Dinosaurs

Birds are avian non-archosaurs.

tanystropheus

Quote from: Takama on September 08, 2017, 04:48:35 PM
For pete sakes,

IT IS A DINOSAUR FOOT.

Rather or not its extant remains to be seen ;)

It is a Nothronychus.

I'm not sure why we are still wrestling over the one possible dinosaur in the aforementioned reveals. There is still a possibility of an entire line of 7-9 dinosaurs. WS should have a bigger budget sans Carnegie than previous years. It's not like they made a ton of prehistoric mammals or anything.

Loon

Quote from: tanystropheus on September 09, 2017, 05:33:56 AM

Birds are Dinosaurs

Birds are still archosaurs, in the same way humans are still mammals. You never stop being what your ancestors, you can be different just not a completely different thing, if that makes sense.

Takama

Are there still members here who dont understand that ALL Birds are Dinosaurs?    Evean the modern ones are Still Dinosaurs.   So that bird foot is a Dinosaur foot. most likly a Extant species.

Neosodon

Quote from: Loon on September 09, 2017, 06:46:18 AM
Quote from: tanystropheus on September 09, 2017, 05:33:56 AM

Birds are Dinosaurs

Birds are still archosaurs, in the same way humans are still mammals. You never stop being what your ancestors, you can be different just not a completely different thing, if that makes sense.
So then dinosaurs are still reptiles since that is what they evolved from.

"3,000 km to the south, the massive comet crashes into Earth. The light from the impact fades in silence. Then the shock waves arrive. Next comes the blast front. Finally a rain of molten rock starts to fall out of the darkening sky - this is the end of the age of the dinosaurs. The Comet struck the Gulf of Mexico with the force of 10 billion Hiroshima bombs. And with the catastrophic climate changes that followed 65% of all life died out. It took millions of years for the earth to recover but when it did the giant dinosaurs were gone - never to return." - WWD

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.