News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Libraraptor´s book collection

Started by Libraraptor, July 09, 2012, 08:18:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Libraraptor

Quote from: Katieraptor on March 29, 2014, 07:12:20 PM
The Dinosaur Heresies are a must read! :D

I also love Raptor Red. I've listened to it on cassette a long time ago, but I may finally have to track it down in book form.

Shouldn´t be too difficult  ;)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0553575619/ref=sr_1_1_olp?ie=UTF8&qid=1396790635&sr=8-1&keywords=raptor+red&condition=used

HD-man

Quote from: Gwangi on March 29, 2014, 02:38:11 AMVery cool. I love looking through peoples book collections and seeing what titles they have. I'll have to take a couple myself.

Me too. The only problem is that most of the books in this thread are written in a foreign language, so I can't look them up.
I'm also known as JD-man at deviantART: http://jd-man.deviantart.com/

Libraraptor

No dinosaur book, but I bought myself this one.

http://www.amazon.com/Terrible-Estate-Agent-Photos-Donaldson-ebook/dp/B00K7EJ1WC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1432674024&sr=8-1&keywords=terrible+estate+photography

I could not help but laughing myself to death, it´s great, great art and beats most of the funniest books I used to read. I can´t remember when I laughed this loud and often reading a book!

Gwangi

Quote from: Libraraptor on May 26, 2015, 10:03:35 PM
No dinosaur book, but I bought myself this one.

http://www.amazon.com/Terrible-Estate-Agent-Photos-Donaldson-ebook/dp/B00K7EJ1WC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1432674024&sr=8-1&keywords=terrible+estate+photography

I could not help but laughing myself to death, it´s great, great art and beats most of the funniest books I used to read. I can´t remember when I laughed this loud and often reading a book!

That looks like a great book, just added it to my own wish list. I'll check out just about anything.

Libraraptor

Thanks to Darren Naish´s  review of the "Big Golden Book Of Dinosaurs" which Luis V. Rey wasn´t really fond of, I bought these two books. And I am not being disappointed, I like them both, each in its on way is unique with a lovely text and great art. Okay, Rey´s art is a little freaky, but isn´t that the impulse we sometimes need?

Libraraptor

Yesterday I found a copy of "Trilobites Of New York" at a local (which means only 15 km / 10 miles away!) used bookstore here in Germany:

http://www.amazon.com/Trilobites-New-York-Illustrated-Comstock/dp/0801439698/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1449993257&sr=8-1&keywords=trilobites+of+new+york

It costed 8 Euros!  :o ;D

And a copy of "Trilobites Worldwide"

http://www.amazon.com/Trilobites-worldwide-Reflection-Trilobiten-Spiegelbild/dp/3899370031/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1449993390&sr=8-2&keywords=trilobites+worldwide

for only 1,50 Euros!

I could not resist and hope you understand! :)) ;D

Libraraptor

Very cool! I just ordered myself "Dino Gangs" by Philippp Currie and the classic "Digging Dinosaurs" by John Horner. And "Predatory Dinosaurs of the World" by Gregory S. Paul.
Has anyone read them yet? Can you share your experience?

tyrantqueen

Predatory Dinosaurs is outdated but still worth getting. Don't own the other two so I can't comment.

CityRaptor

Digging Dinosaurs is pretty good if you are interested in Horner's Discovery of Maiasaura. It covers discovery, dig and reconstruction of species and lifestyle.  It also is fun to read.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Libraraptor

Thanks, guys. And is there anyone knowing "Dino Gangs" by Currie?

HD-man

I'm also known as JD-man at deviantART: http://jd-man.deviantart.com/

Libraraptor

Quote from: HD-man on February 14, 2016, 05:53:02 PM
Quote from: Libraraptor on February 14, 2016, 04:32:17 PMThanks, guys. And is there anyone knowing "Dino Gangs" by Currie?

Basically, it "reads like a bland transcript of the documentary" ( https://www.theguardian.com/science/blog/2011/jul/25/bunch-bones-gang-bloodthirsty-tyrannosaurs ).

Ah, okay, it´s about the evolution of the theory Tyrannosaurs hunted in packs, basically?

Libraraptor

Bought this lovely book today at a flea market. Read it to my children before translating it. I love boasting before them ;D ;D

Libraraptor

Got "Predatory Dinosaurs of the World" and "Dino Gangs" today. The former is okay, the letter does not really tell me anything new. However, it was still okay getting at that price (5 Euros incl. postage).

Libraraptor

Here are some new acquisitions which are worth sharing.

The Art Of National Geographic, what a wonderful book!  Great introduction by Stephen Jay Gould, too. Not only great paleoart in there, but also many great illustrations from the last 100 years of NG.

Baum des Lebens (Tree Of Life) - A great 2m Leporello fold book with lovely and interesting, albeit often incorrect pictures of extinct animals and plants by Katie Scott.

And last but not least I at last have some issues ot "Prehistoric Times", what a great magazine! Exactly fits my interests. And it´s interesting, too, to see the impact of my "discovery" of Bullyland Protochirotherium. I don´t know if there is anything about their Procynosuchus in other issues I do not own.

Postosuchus84

Nice collection of books. You're actually the first person I've seen that has the Gorgon book too. I actually got mine at a local used book store and it was actually in like new condition.

Libraraptor

Quote from: Postosuchus84 on July 28, 2016, 10:56:24 PM
Nice collection of books. You're actually the first person I've seen that has the Gorgon book too. I actually got mine at a local used book store and it was actually in like new condition.

Thank you! Yes, Gorgon is one of my most appreciated books thanks to the fact that it deals with other top predators than T.rex or Allosaurus and shows how painful research in the field can be.

Uncle Rex

A very enjoyable topic - thanks. It's interesting to see others' collections and I particularly like seeing some of the older books, as I've got a few of those.
I noticed "Prehistoric Times" magazine in your photos and just went to their home page. Would you and others here recommend it?

Libraraptor

Quote from: Uncle Rex on July 29, 2016, 10:56:34 AM
A very enjoyable topic - thanks. It's interesting to see others' collections and I particularly like seeing some of the older books, as I've got a few of those.
I noticed "Prehistoric Times" magazine in your photos and just went to their home page. Would you and others here recommend it?

Well, I definitely would. It is fun to read,its from dinophiles for dinophiles and covers a wide range of topics - art, science, sculpting, collecting. It´s the "analogue version" of a forum like this, if you want.

CityRaptor

It's very different from the Dinosaur magazines sold to kids in Germany this day. ( Because it isn't aimed at kids ) Including the fact that they do not come with generic extras.  In PT even the adds are for the most part related to Prehistorics, with the occassional monster thrown in.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.