News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd 2018 hopes and dreams

Started by Reptilia, August 25, 2017, 11:21:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stargatedalek

Quote from: ZoPteryx on August 26, 2017, 07:49:38 PM
I don't see any dinosaurs in this, I think that the "Balaur" is actually a Harpy bird-women.

Otherwise, I agree with Stargatedalek's list, with the addition that the Prairie dog/Burrowing Owl is probably a Woodchuck.  Here's hoping that spiny lobster is actually some crazy Paleozoic invertebrate, an eurypterid maybe?
That makes sense. Checked again and "the bird" has really weirdly long legs. I'm still not gonna rule out that it could be a dinosaur, but it really doesn't seem to be a bird.

Woodchuck also makes sense, AFAIK they already made a large prairie dog. I doubt it's a eurypterid, to many wiggly bits, but it could be any number of soft invertebrates (my original guess was a sea cucumber, but I think spiny lobster is more likely).

This definitely isn't everything, because the Deaodon from the leaks isn't here. If it weren't for the mastodon I'd assume they were going to separate all the extinct animals.

bmathison1972

my guess is North America's multi-legged guy is a crayfish, which I anticipated would show up in the IC line after the slew of crustaceans from 2006-2010 or thereabouts (crayfish was the next logical choice, although they ended up making a shrimp in 2015).

I hope the African scorpion is a new sculpt and not a rehash of the Smithsonian Pandinus or HK Handrurus...

sauroid

if Safari Ltd will start making well-known prehistoric mammals again, imagine an updated Smilodon from them.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Postosuchus84

I'm going to still keep my fingers crossed for an up-to-date Megalosaurus figure. Looking forward to the official announcement.

Concavenator

If thats a Balaur,it is great news.Would like to see a Gorgosaurus or some dromeousarids like Austroraptor and Utahraptor.A Regaliceratops would be awesome too.

Mononykus

Couple of thoughts on the blurry pictures:
Africa: Pygmy hippo seems like a good guess for the first one. For the raptor, Peregrine is possible, as it has a worldwide distribution, and I have seem them in Kenya, but there are lots of other possibilities too.
Asia: the first animal looks like a cattle, probably a Zebu
Europe: I have a hard time even seeing bird (I can sort of make out possible wings, but the rest is hard to place). I agree that the bird-woman or some other mythological beast hypothesis seems likely. It seems a big stretch to assume Balour (although if it is, I will certainly be happy)
North America: I think the invert is indeed a spiny lobster. The reason being that if you look closely, next to the line going to N. America there is a small second line that goes to the Caribbean; owl seems a more likely choice than purple slug monster  :)) . It looks like it has ear tufts (?) but a grayish color, so maybe Screech Owl? But they have one already, so maybe not? If the ear tufts are an illusion, maybe great gray owl or northern hawk owl?
As for the rodent,  a marmot may be more likely than a woodchuck, as they can be a bit more strikingly colored. Still, there is something odd yet familiar about it, perhaps it's a tie-in to a character (puppet) in some kid's show?

Mononykus

As for predicting the new dinosaurs, my guess is that the majority will come from the following list (which are recent Carnegie figures not yet represented in Safari's lineup)
Dimetrodon
Ichthyosaurus
Tanystropheus
Deinosuchus
Ankylosaurus
Miragaia
Styracosaurus
Maiasaura
Amargasaurus
Camarasaurus
Cryolophosaurus
Carnotaurus
Sinraptor
Concavenator
Baryonyx
Dilong
Albertosaurus
Oviraptor
Caudipteryx
Beipiaosaurus

Last year, 9 of the 13 figures were species that had previously been in the Carnegie line

suspsy

Quote from: sauroid on August 27, 2017, 04:27:31 PM
if Safari Ltd will start making well-known prehistoric mammals again, imagine an updated Smilodon from them.

I've always felt that the current Safari Smilodon is still one of the best renditions to date. I'd rather see some all new mammalian predators. Although Homotherium would be pretty damn cool.
IMG_0123 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

Reptilia

A figure Safari is in desperate need to update is the terror bird. Their Gastornis has been discontinued, so maybe there's a new one on the way. It must be bigger and with sharper detail, in my opinion.

Takama

I think The Gastornis Downfall was its pose.     I think it was as detailed as you can expect from safari

suspsy

Phorusrhacos or Titanis would be sweet.
IMG_0123 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

sauroid

Quote from: suspsy on August 27, 2017, 11:13:39 PM

I've always felt that the current Safari Smilodon is still one of the best renditions to date. I'd rather see some all new mammalian predators. Although Homotherium would be pretty damn cool.
i agree, but wouldnt it be nice if Safari (since, along with CollectA, they are the two best brands existing atm) would produce a mate for the CollectA. ;)
speaking of prehistoric birds, an Argentavis from them would be awesome (without looking like an oversized condor)!
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Shonisaurus

It would be interesting a concavenator. The one of Carnegie and the one of Collecta sincerely do not convince me.

On the other hand would be interesting an olorotitan, saurolophus or prosaurolophus.

A gorgosaurus, daspletosaurus, tarbosaurus or alioramus would be interesting as well

Pachyrhinosaurus

Quote from: suspsy on August 27, 2017, 11:13:39 PM

If we're talking sabretooths, then I'd be down for a hoplophoneus!

If they're doing mammals this year I could imagine a bronotherium or uintatherium is on the cards. Also I wouldn't mind seeing a Bison latifrons, stegomastodon, teleoceros, hyracodon, merycoidodon, or megaloceros from them as well.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Faelrin

I definitely want to see a Megaloceros at some point. I think the only one made was that old bullyland figure?
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Takama

Quote from: Faelrin on August 28, 2017, 05:24:23 PM
I definitely want to see a Megaloceros at some point. I think the only one made was that old bullyland figure?

And Geoworld

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

I had been assuming the "Hyaenadon" was simply the Andrewsarchus finally getting a reissue, but now I see that the legs are in a different position, and there's more of a hunch to its back.

I'm 90% sure every single picture from Europe was a fantasy figure.

I think the whale from South America looks like a rorqual as well, but I'm hoping against hope that the blurriness has drastically altered the body outline, and that it's actually a Livytitan!

AcroSauroTaurus

A little late I know, but...
The "winged person thing" definitely doesn't look like a bird of any kind, did the Harpy legend originate in Europe?

And the "Hyaenodon" has to be a Hyaenodon, theres no other animal it could be with those patterns and that body shape.

I believe the shorter headed cetacean in Australia could be an Australian Snubfin Dolphin, it seems to lack/have a short dorsal fin.

I'm hoping Stuckasaurus is right with the Livyatan, because that would be great! I'd also like to see a Deinotherium, Elasmotherium, Megaloceros, Synthetoceros, Anancus, Thylacosmilus, etc.
I hope we see the dinosaurs soon...
I am the Dinosaur King!

Shonisaurus

Megaloceros is a figure that needs my collection. The one in Bullyland is fine but it has been outdated by time.

On the other hand in the toy market a synthetoceras or cranioceras quite scarce to say nonexistent in said market.

A livyatan melvillei is a very popular figure among collectors.

Appalachiosaurus

I'm excited for any potential prehistoric cetaceans, but honestly I don't see any prehistoric animals in that teaser besides the Mastodon. Most are just too blurry to make out.

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.