News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd 2018 hopes and dreams

Started by Reptilia, August 25, 2017, 11:21:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

Quote from: AcroSauroTaurus on August 29, 2017, 07:39:03 AM
A little late I know, but...
The "winged person thing" definitely doesn't look like a bird of any kind, did the Harpy legend originate in Europe?

The Harpy is a Greco-Roman myth, so yes.

Quote from: Appalachiosaurus on August 30, 2017, 03:31:54 AM
I'm excited for any potential prehistoric cetaceans, but honestly I don't see any prehistoric animals in that teaser besides the Mastodon. Most are just too blurry to make out.

Other than the probable Hyaenodon, I agree with you. My Livytitan suggestion was pure, dark horse, wild speculation: I don't think it's particularly likely. I don't think the video shows more than 2 prehistoric beasts. Just for fun, we should revisit it after the final reveal to see if there's anything we missed!

Concavenator

Doug,can you confirm that there will be dinosaurs released next year? so far,of the leaks,it shows no clear dinosaur,so I was worried about having a non-dinosaur year  :-[

MLMjp

Quote from: Concavenator on September 02, 2017, 05:23:50 PM
Doug,can you confirm that there will be dinosaurs released next year? so far,of the leaks,it shows no clear dinosaur,so I was worried about having a non-dinosaur year  :-[

A non dinosaur year would be the worst thing ever!  :o
But I doubt that Safari will do that, prehistoric mammals are not as popular as dinosaurs and it would be very risky to do that.

Daspletotyrannus

Why would having a non Dinosaur year be bad? If anything I'm sure in their eyes anything prehistoric are "Dinosaurs". Why else are the non dinosaurs listed under the Dinosaurs section on their website. When I remember long ago it was Dinosaurs and prehistoric before or something like that .I'm sure there is a dinosaur figure coming out in 2018. I just can't wait to see what we are going to get next year.  I know for sure the Mastodon is going in my collection. 

Doug Watson

You should know by now I can't confirm or deny anything and even if I told you what I did I have no clue what they may have had someone else do. Patience, you have only been waiting a year to find out I have been waiting two years to find out how really bad my 2018s are  ;)

Concavenator

Quote from: Daspletotyrannus on September 02, 2017, 08:28:57 PM
Why would having a non Dinosaur year be bad? If anything I'm sure in their eyes anything prehistoric are "Dinosaurs". Why else are the non dinosaurs listed under the Dinosaurs section on their website. When I remember long ago it was Dinosaurs and prehistoric before or something like that .I'm sure there is a dinosaur figure coming out in 2018. I just can't wait to see what we are going to get next year.  I know for sure the Mastodon is going in my collection. 
To be honest, a full non dinosaur lineup would be a huge letdown.Well,what it truly be a letdown would be a full prehistoric mammal limeup,even a mixed full non dinosaur lineup with a good variety of pterosaurs or marine reptiles wouldn't be that bad.But come on,while it is good they release Some Prehistoric mammals (like the Mastodon.Daeodon amd the hypothetical Hyaeonodon,the fact that no dinosaurs would be in the lineup would be disappointing.And probably I'm getting kinda mad reasonlessly when the official lineup isn't even out.
Quote from: Doug Watson on September 02, 2017, 08:39:55 PM

You should know by now I can't confirm or deny anything and even if I told you what I did I have no clue what they may have had someone else do. Patience, you have only been waiting year to find out I have been waiting two years to find out how really bad my 2018s are  ;)
Hopefully the wait is not too long I absolutely loved this year's lineup,the growth of quality of the sculpts as well as the accuracy is impressive.If the 2018s are even better than this year's then it is something to be looking forward to,I have  your Tyrannosaurus and it is easily one of the finest pieces in my collection as well as the best Tyrannosaurus model done to yet in my opinion,plus I have to catch up some of the new ones. :)

Doug Watson

Quote from: Concavenator on September 02, 2017, 08:53:51 PM
Hopefully the wait is not too long I absolutely loved this year's lineup,the growth of quality of the sculpts as well as the accuracy is impressive.If the 2018s are even better than this year's then it is something to be looking forward to,I have  your Tyrannosaurus and it is easily one of the finest pieces in my collection as well as the best Tyrannosaurus model done to yet in my opinion,plus I have to catch up some of the new ones. :)

Okay flattery will get you everywhere here is my complete list of pieces...#1.......( !6, what is wrong with this ke...board $5--- darn it......ahhhhhhhh!

Takama

Quote from: Doug Watson on September 02, 2017, 09:10:00 PM
Quote from: Concavenator on September 02, 2017, 08:53:51 PM

Okay flattery will get you everywhere here is my complete list of pieces...#1.......( !6, what is wrong with this ke...board $5--- darn it......ahhhhhhhh!

:)) :))

terrorchicken

Id be totally fine with an all prehistoric non-dino year. And I dont think it would lead to bad sales. Mix up the mammals with pterosaurs, marine reptiles, and early reptile/amphibian/fish/invertebrates. It would be amazing!

Jose S.M.

I want dinos but wouldnt be bothered, it would help to catch up with Papo and some CollectA that I still want. But I still hope for some dinosaurs and I'm pretty sure there will be some, maybe less then this year but whatever they give us will be surely appreciated

Faelrin

I'm sure there will be good things in store for next year like there was for this year. Just a little bit longer now (assuming they are revealed around the same time like last year). I hope there will be another ceratopsian for this year. Personally I'd like to see Safari's take on Regaliceratops, Styracosaurus, or even a newer Triceratops, or really anything else.

At the very least, I am looking forward to the two prehistoric mammals that were leaked.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Jose S.M.

A new Triceratops would be nice, I know there are plenty of Triceratops out there but most are not that great ( the PNSO's are great but are getting into the hard to find category to me, for shipping issues) and  the W.S. one is outdated now and if it's done by Doug it's surely going to be beautiful. Regaliceratops is one I would love too, the CollectA one seem really good but so small and I like my ceratopsians just the size Safari has been making them. Last year we didn't get thyreophorans so it would be very nice to have one this year

Shonisaurus

I guess prehistoric mammals and dinosaurs will be bigger than their predecessors. Surely to compete in size with those of Collecta. It's great a "war" between companies in this case as great as Safari and Collecta in regards to making much better the prehistoric mammal of the toy world.

I understand that you should be more patient with regard to forum members regarding the revelation of the prehistoric animal novelties not only of Safari, Collecta or Papo, but the rest of the companies (Schleich has shown that he is also great at making these figures) we have to keep in mind that we are still in September, it is still very early for the disclosure of trade secrets that may be pirated by merchants unscrupulous.

John

Sometimes a toy company can delay the release of something for a year or two,as had happened with the Carnegie Collection from time to time,like the Concavenator that was originally going to be released alongside the new Brachiosaurus sculpt in 2012,but ended up not being available until the next year.With that in mind,it would really not do much good to have any early names of prehistoric animal sculpts leaked out ahead of time.Who knows when Safari Ltd. may delay or even change their minds completely about the releases of any given sculpt for whatever reason...such as the planned 2016 Carnegie Apatosaurus remake that never materialized due to the discontinuation of that line....

As for what may show up this time,as nice as the prehistoric mammals are,I too am hoping there will be dinosaurs or other prehistoric reptiles in the mix too. :)

Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

suspsy

Some people in this thread are pushing panic buttons for no good reason. Safari knows full well how popular their dinosaur figures are. Even if the number has been reduced to make room for some other prehistoric beasts, there's still going to be some dinosaurs in 2018, as sure as there's buns to hot dogs.

IMG_0123 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

Takama

I will admit.    I only Collect Safaris Dinosaurs now. and i was not happy with the increase in size of some of there models this year (A T.Rex thats BIGGER then the Cacaradontosaurus? Come on Safari!!!)

The reason i have not Purchused Any of there Dinosaur models this year is because I been waiting to see what Dinosaurs they had in store and if there will be any more remakes of species they alredy did.   Like a Brachiosaurus thats Actully bigger then the T.Rex they just released (im not talking 1:40, more like 1:50).       But i can see that im in the minority here

Daspletotyrannus

You know I really hope this year the dinosaurs colors stay away from brown and yellow.  I want some green, blue, and reds on some of the dinosaurs.  Not saying they look bad, it been the same color palette for awhile. 

Appalachiosaurus

I wouldn't mind a fully mammalian year for Safari, it would put those Dinosaur fanatics in their place.  :))

MLMjp

Quote from: Appalachiosaurus on September 03, 2017, 10:06:52 PM
I wouldn't mind a fully mammalian year for Safari, it would put those Dinosaur fanatics in their place.  :))
???
Be careful Appalachiosaurs, or the dinosaur fanatics will go after you, with me at the head. And then we will put YOU and all your mammal fanatics mates in your place. >:D >:D >:D
You are outnumbered and you know it.  >:D

CityRaptor

Is it to early to grab my pitchfork? Or my crossbow? Or my crossbow that fires pitchforks?

Given how much mammals, expecially humans and horses, dominate the modern animal market, despite mammals being the amniote clade with the lowest number of species, it it about right that dinosaurs should dominate the prehistoric one.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.