News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Transformers "Power of the Primes" Dinobots

Started by Loon, September 10, 2017, 12:20:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Loon

I haven't bought any transformers figures in a while, but I'll admit these are tempting.

Apparently these guys combine into a larger figure, ala devastator. Also, there's a new dinobot added to the fray, a female "Velociraptor" named Slash.

Grimlock

Slug(Slag)

Snarl

Sludge

Swoop

Slash

Micronus

I believe this guy goes with them, as part of the larger combiner, though I'm not sure.

Credit: Tfw2005

MLMjp

As a Tranformers fan and dinobots fan, I was looking forward to see if the rumors of new dinobots figures were true. Then the rumors are confirmed, which makes me very happy, until I see these pictures.....
I see what they are doing, they are basically re-doing the G1 Dinobots, that what the generations line does, updating the old transformers with more complex transformations and better looks and proportions.

But still, I am dissapointed.

WHY COULDN´T HAVE THEY UPDATE THE DINOSAUR MODES A LITTLE BIT TO MODERND STANDARS?

I am not asking this toys to be scientifically accurate because they aren't´and they are not supposed to, but at least they could at least have updated them to "Pop culture dinosaurs" standards.

Why couldn't´they give Grimlock an horizontal pose and two fingers on each hand instead of three?
Why couldn't´they give Snarl a neck and a longer tail?
Why couldn't´they make Slug´s frill look more like an actual Triceratops frill?

The rest of the dinobots are ok and their flaws are not as off putting as the ones mentioned

Like I said, if the generations line has updated the designs of many other transformers characters, why not doing the same for the dinobots?
The movie verse dinobots, minus extra horns spikes and heads, look like pop culture dinosaurs. The dinobots from Fall of Cybertron also look like pop culture dinosaurs. Why not these?

I don't know what to think, the only dinobots I have are the ones from the movies and a fall of cybertron grimlock. I want to have a updated "classic" dinobot team since it would look better than the movie verse dinobots in my main display of Generations and Tf Prime. But the retro dinosaur modes are off-puting. If only hasbro had done the rest of the dinobot team from the Fall of Cybertron game....

And in case somebody says, no, Im not going to buy an overpriced 3rd party figure. The planet X Dinobots inspired by Fall of Cybertron, as cool as they are, they are not worth those prices.

amargasaurus cazaui

I think they are awesome, as someone who remembers buying the original Dinobots off store shelves and watching as two of them were quickly canceled due to design issues. Swoop flies again...yay. For what its worth, what they miss in being modern they gain from being quite nostalgic and reminiscient of the golden age of transformers toys before quality dropped, everything metal was removed, chrome became non existent and they became mediocre plastic figures. For the vintage fans out there this is a solid offering
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

ITdactyl

Quote from: MLMjp on September 10, 2017, 05:51:36 PM
I see what they are doing, they are basically re-doing the G1 Dinobots, that what the generations line does, updating the old transformers with more complex transformations and better looks and proportions.

WHY COULDN´T HAVE THEY UPDATE THE DINOSAUR MODES A LITTLE BIT TO MODERND STANDARS?

I am not asking this toys to be scientifically accurate because they aren't´and they are not supposed to, but at least they could at least have updated them to "Pop culture dinosaurs" standards.

Not looking for conflict, but I'm glad to find I'm not the only one with these sentiments.  However, Hasbro/Takara did a modern take on a tyrannosaur with the Classics line Grimlock. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TfwnAh3Ur8

It had a horizontal pose (although most fans post pictures of it in the semi upright pose of the g1 toy), long poseable tail, sleek body and non kaiju legs; although it still had bunny hands.  Apparently a lot of people complained because this wasn't as bulky and therefore bad-ass as the G1 counterpart.

suspsy

I'm really excited for these toys, especially knowing that they'll be able to combine into Volcanicus! The retro look doesn't bother me at all.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

MLMjp

On second thought, despite the retro look, they still look cool on it´s own way. Hey, there have been many times when my opinion has changed from "meh" to "now I want it" regarding transformers.

BUT
I still think that Snarl should at least have a longer tail.

I will wait until more photos and video reviews to make my final judgment.

suspsy

I'll say this too: never ever will I be using the name "Slug." That Triceratops will always be Slag in my book.

X

I feel like a more appropriate name would have been Lance.

Shadowknight1

These look pretty good, though I'm still waiting for Takara to finally show some info on the Masterpiece Dinobot from Beast Wars.
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

suspsy

Quote from: Shadowknight1 on September 11, 2017, 01:12:19 AM
These look pretty good, though I'm still waiting for Takara to finally show some info on the Masterpiece Dinobot from Beast Wars.

And then they can do a Masterpiece Beast Wars Megatron complete with a toothbrush for cleaning the teeth on his T. rex arm!

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/741/837/23b.gif

suspsy

Here's the Dinobots' combined form, Volcanicus. Slash unfortunately doesn't merge with the rest of the team.

http://news.tfw2005.com/2017/09/10/power-primes-dinobot-combiner-volcanicus-prototype-hand-pictures-348664

It's funny how many Transformers fans seem to have forgotten that this isn't the first Dinobot combiner:

http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=1016.msg179390#msg179390

Brontozaurus

I think Slash turns into a weapon for the combiner. There's been a few combiners with a sixth member who turns into a sword or something.

I get the 'why didn't they get updated to modern dinosaurs' thing, but they're so gloriously retro 80s dinosaurs (even the new one) I don't mind. Plus the Age of Extinction dinobots were pretty good, down to feathers on the raptor, so it's not like we don't have good modern dinobots already.
"Uww wuhuhuhuh HAH HAWR HA HAWR."
-Ian Malcolm

My collection! UPDATED 21.03.2020: Dungeons & Dinosaurs!

BlueKrono

We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

CityRaptor

Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

suspsy

Here's a painted version of the Dinobots' combined mode, the indomitable Volcanicus!

Unfortunately, Slash does not combine with the rest of them, which is disappointing to say the least. It wouldn't have taken that much effort to have her become a laser gun or a melee weapon.

tyrantqueen

tyrantqueen

Quote from: CityRaptor on October 26, 2017, 10:30:59 AM
Well, it for sure beats the latest Hasbro toy he got:
*snip*

Speaking of Beast Wars:
http://news.tfw2005.com/2017/10/24/takara-masterpiece-dinobot-prototype-image-352609

I'm not a fan of Beast Wars at all (in fact I hate BW Megatron) but the Robot Heroes line never claimed to be anything other than what it is- small, cheap mini figures. That's kind of like criticising a Safari Toob figure for not being ultra detailed.

There are plenty of other options (the original toy still holds up fairly well, which the original G1 TFs fail at...eugh) and an MP BW Megatron is pretty much a guarantee at this point.

stargatedalek

Quote from: tyrantqueen on October 26, 2017, 01:50:08 PM
That's kind of like criticising a Safari Toob figure for not being ultra detailed.
You must have never encountered the venomous creatures or deep sea toobs. There are some Safari toob figure that I would even liken (in level of detail in the sculpt, not in overall production quality) to Kaiyodo or Ikimon. Being from a line of smaller, cheaper pieces doesn't excuse laziness.

I've always liked Beast Wars, not enough to ever get more than the few that particularly caught my eye, but I'd like to see the line make a return.

suspsy

I consider BW Megatron the finest incarnation of Megatron (although the IDW version is arguably even better). He's the epitome of a Machiavellian villain. And his toys were great.

There have been a few updates BW toys in the Generations line, namely Rhinox, Rattrap, and Waspinator. I've got them all and they're pretty sweet. Especially Rhinox, who finally has his twin chain guns of doom!

There's also going to be an Optimal Optimus figure in the PotP line:

Loon

Figured this would be the best place to post this, instead of starting a new thread. This is the first physical version of the upcoming Masterpiece Dinobot from Beast Wars.

Very accurate as far as I can tell...

...well, to the show at least

May pick this guy up since Beast Wars is the only version of Transformers where the characters were interesting to me, instead of just looking neat.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: