News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Wren's Repaints: Paleo Sculpture Paraceratherium

Started by Dusty Wren, February 19, 2021, 01:04:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halichoeres

I didn't realize he'd made a resin version! I just looked it up on eBay and it definitely looks nicer than the print, with finer texture and less-obvious print lines. I sanded the hell out of mine but still didn't account properly for the print lines. My copy turned out pretty messy but I learned a lot! It was kind of a yellow ocher with dark reddish brown on top and white underneath, and a bit of blue at the throat (I figure dicynodonts probably still had 3-color vision). There's a couple of photos here so I don't pollute your thread with them!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

andrewsaurus rex

Wren, what type of paint do you use on your figure repaints?  As you're probably aware, many paints dry improperly on the types of plastic used in these animal figures, drying glossy and sticky.  Acrylics work fine but don't spray well and are hard to find in spray can form.

Dusty Wren

B @Bokisaurus, I haven't painted the elephant yet.  I wasn't planning on painting it originally, but it's got such great detail it'd be a shame to leave it unpainted.

avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres, I really like the colors you chose for the Kannemeyeria! The red and yellow especially work well together. And I hear you about the print lines. Eischen has some other figures that I'm interested in (like the Megaloceros bust), but I'm waiting until he develops resin versions of them because the print lines just obliterate the details on these small figures.

A @andrewsaurus, I use Liquitex soft body acrylics (and some heavy body acrylics, though I don't recommend those for figures). Disclaimer: these are not the most cost-effective options for painting toys. I use them because I'm a hobbyist painter who had them on hand already when I decided to start repainting. 

They dry with a non-sticky finish that has a slight sheen. I do prime my figures first (with Rust-Oleum's primer), which may help prevent any weird interactions between the surface and the paint that lead to stickiness. I varnish the paint job once I'm done, and then apply two coats of Mr. Super Clear UV Cut Flat Spray. That stuff is ultra-matte, and it knocks out any glossiness from the paint and the varnish.
Check out my customs thread!

andrewsaurus rex

Creature

Instagram: where I play with dinosaurs, horses, and action figures.

Dusty Wren

Thanks, avatar_Creature @Creature!

I love the paint job you've got going on the Eohippus over in your thread. All the subtle color shifts in the coat are just gorgeous. Are you using an airbrush?

Lanthanotus

A very convincing paint job on that nice little Paraceratherium fellow. A very nice figure.

Creature

Quote from: Dusty Wren on July 12, 2021, 02:24:10 PM
Thanks, avatar_Creature @Creature!

I love the paint job you've got going on the Eohippus over in your thread. All the subtle color shifts in the coat are just gorgeous. Are you using an airbrush?

Actually, I use PanPastels. I've never tried an airbrush!

Dusty Wren

Okay, I'm glad to hear that, because I just bought a set of pastels for a future project and I have no idea what I'm doing ;D

How many layers do you typically do for a figure the size of the Eohippus? Do you do a basecoat in acrylic, or is the whole thing done with pastels? I would love to hear about your process if you've got time.

Creature

I'm happy to answer questions! Pastels are actually really user-friendly once you get going. They're definitely intimidating at first though.

The eohippus was basecoated in acrylic, but that's not my usual process. I usually go straight on from primer. I know other artists that do basecoats all the time though. It's down to the effect you prefer.

I don't really track the number of layers, because I do a lot of color mixing/blending right on the model. I generally work with the colors until I achieve a color layer I want to make permanent, or until the pastels stop sticking, whichever comes first. So I generally pay more attention to how many times I've sealed the figure and consider that a "layer." I think the eohippus is at 3 coats of sealer at this point.

This isn't a dinosaur, but I recently posted a start-to-finish of a pegasus I painted. The wings/mane have acrylics in them, but the body color is all pastels.

I hope that helps!

Dusty Wren

Wow, the pegasus turned out great! The gradient from blue to white on the wings is really lovely, especially the way the lighter feathers frame her dark mane.

Do you find that any particular brushes work best with pastels? Like, are soft watercolor-type brushes okay, or should I be using a makeup brush?

Creature

Thanks! In my experience, brushes come down to preference, and I've seen people use lots of different things. I use sponges. Generally Sofft tools for smaller/detail areas, and basic foam sponge brushes for base colors and bigger areas. I've seen people use makeup brushes, eye shadow applicators (and eye shadow!), q-tips, etc.

Actually, this a really good blog post on this. Mostly applied to model horses, since pastels are a very common medium in that hobby, but the application is universal.

I switch over to acrylics for fine details like eyes, claws, teeth, roaning, dry brushing/washes, etc.

Kapitaenosavrvs

Oh, you did a wonderful Job on the Para! I find it quite hard to paint these less exciting colourations. And to have them look big and detailed. Well done!

MesozoicJohn

DW your work is amazing.

The eyes on the Safari Deinonychus and the muted colours you do. Fantastic!

John :)

Dusty Wren

Thank you, avatar_MesozoicJohn @MesozoicJohn, I appreciate you stopping by the thread!

I've had to take a break from repaints while we moved and I got my new workspace sorted out. Hoping to get started on some new projects in 2022.

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.