News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Papo: New for 2018

Started by Reptilia, September 26, 2017, 12:32:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halichoeres

Quote from: Archosauria on October 17, 2017, 11:48:25 PM
I hope Papo makes a feathered Oviraptor one year, kinda like what they did with their Velociraptor.

However, I don't see that happening for awhile, as they just released a repainted version of the original one.

They also released a repainted version of their old JP raptor the same year they released the feathered Velociraptor, so never say never!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Albertosaurus

Looks like Papo will release an Amargasaurus in 2018. In my opinion it looks quite bad if you compare it to the apatosaurus or even the brachio...

Edit: can´t post the image,here is the link.

https://tieba.baidu.com/p/5378518092

Concavenator

Quote from: Albertosaurus on October 22, 2017, 11:37:06 AM
Looks like Papo will release an Amargasaurus in 2018. In my opinion it looks quite bad if you compare it to the apatosaurus or even the brachio...

Source?

Albertosaurus

Quote from: Concavenator on October 22, 2017, 11:41:16 AM
Quote from: Albertosaurus on October 22, 2017, 11:37:06 AM

Source?

Check the link

Albertosaurus

Lanthanotus

Quote from: Albertosaurus on October 22, 2017, 11:47:38 AM
It actually is quite small

... and to me it does not look like Papo quality?!

Albertosaurus

Quote from: Lanthanotus on October 22, 2017, 11:49:16 AM
Quote from: Albertosaurus on October 22, 2017, 11:47:38 AM
It actually is quite small

... and to me it does not look like Papo quality?!

That is the same reaction that most of us had when they showed the Polacanthus for the first time. I don´t know why Mr. Seo isn´t the one sculpting all papo dinosaurs anymore...

Concavenator

Wow,what a shame.It seems the new Safari Amargasaurus is leagues ahead ;D

MLMjp

This has to be fake, it is impossible for Papo to realease that monstruosity (this is not a marine repite, is a dinosaur!) And dont say that it´s bad because is made by the polacanthus sculptor. The Polacanthus is milles ahead of that thing that people dare to call Amargasaurus, if it is indeed made by the polacanthus sculptor, then explain me why this "de-evolution".

Lanthanotus

Quote from: MLMjp on October 22, 2017, 12:41:39 PM
The Polacanthus is miles ahead of that thing who people dare to call Amargasaurus.

I agree, the Polacanthus may not be the greatest Papo figure, but it is still way more detailed and better sculpted than this. It more reminds me of CollectA several years back...

suspsy

That is not a very impressive toy by Papo standards, not at all.

Ah well, at least it's small.
IMG_0123 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

Silvanusaurus

My first thought on seeing that was that it looked like something from CollectA's dark ages, I cant believe thats a legit Papo product. Interesting that they should take such a step down with something like that in the same year that Schleich is apparently taking several steps upwards. I don't know what to believe in any more.

Pachyrhinosaurus

I actually kind of like it. It isn't nearly as good as the Carnegie, Safari, or Battat amragas but the style reminds me of older Bullyland figures. The only things I don't like about it are the awkward-looking sail and round, wide-open eyes. I'm not planning on buying it but personally I don't think it's that terrible.

Reptilia

It's decent, not among Papo's best but still ok. The size is fine and the colours look nice too. I'm going to pick it up anyway, cause it's a Papo, but I'm a bit bummed that their next sauropod isn't a huge, majestic Diplodocus, I really wanted one for my collection.

You're probably right saying that this one and the Polacanthus aren't from Mr Seo, the quality is suspiciously lower, but maybe Papo wanted to expand their annual offer and Mr Seo couldn't guarantee six or seven new sculpts all at once, so they had to hire another sculptor.

Back to the figure, I don't think it's that bad if compared to other Amargasaurus models, Battat's and Carnegie's aren't any better honestly. If the pics are from a toy fair the figure must be already in production, so possibly another premiere like Polacanthus last year. I wouldn't be surprised to see it released in december. Also the juvenile Spinosaurus seems 100% confirmed as a 2018 release at this point, being there too, and I'm fairly confident that Papo will surprise us with three or four more novelties in their official announcement.

Flaffy

That thing... that thing is nasty.
Looks like something Schleich would produce rather than Papo, I hope this is a fake.

MLMjp

Quote from: Reptilia on October 22, 2017, 02:27:33 PM

Back to the figure, I don't think it's that bad if compared to other Amargasaurus models, Battat's and Carnegie's aren't any better honestly.

I have to disagree, do you really think that "thing" is better than these much, much more elegant figures? They may not be the greatest thing ever but they are better than "that".

Reptilia

You can't tell that it is worse, detail-wise. These two aren't really good figures if you get out of the mythical aura that both Battat and Carnegie are surrounded. Especially Battat, the sculpt is so shoddy. The PNSO Amargasaurus is an elegant figure, but not any of these, in my opinion.

Jose S.M.

I find the Carnegie one really elegant and that's why I'm not getting the W.S. that's coming. About this one, the sculpt in the pictures looks not very detailed, and the head looks disproportionate. It's not horrible as some Schleich or early CollectA, but it's not on Papo level.

suspsy

The Battat sculpt is shoddy? Really? Where are you getting that notion from?
IMG_0123 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

Reptilia

Personal opinion, maybe? Looks shoddy to me, like most Battats do.

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.