News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Papo: New for 2018

Started by Reptilia, September 26, 2017, 12:32:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sim

Quote from: MLMjp on October 22, 2017, 12:41:39 PM
This has to be fake, it is impossible for Papo to realease that monstruosity (this is not a marine repite, is a dinosaur!) And dont say that it´s bad because is made by the polacanthus sculptor. The Polacanthus is milles ahead of that thing that people dare to call Amargasaurus, if it is indeed made by the polacanthus sculptor, then explain me why this "de-evolution".

It looks like this Amargasaurus is by the same sculptor as the Papo Polacanthus, as it has that weird, unpleasant texture under its neck that the Polacanthus has under its neck and tail.  I think the Papo Polacanthus is a pretty bad figure, and this Amargasaurus looks like it will be on the same level.  It looks like this Amargasaurus has a single bare spine on its head, separate from the two rows of neck spines that are connected with skin.  Were they trying to make this Amargasaurus look like some sort of unicorn?

sauroid

is the Amargasaurus figure below the one from PNSO?
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Shonisaurus

Honestly and that I am the devil's advocate, and I defend all the dinosaur novelties I have to admit that Papo's amargasaurus does not convince me at all is a pretty ugly figure in my opinion.

Of course if this is true, Papo has fallen a lot in the quality of his figures. That is a disappointment to me.  ??? :(

Reptilia

Yes, the one with the elephant in the background is the PNSO Amargasaurus.

suspsy

Quote from: Reptilia on October 22, 2017, 03:20:51 PM
Personal opinion, maybe? Looks shoddy to me, like most Battats do.

Personal though your opinion may be, that doesn't make it correct.
IMG_0123 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

Reptilia

An opinion like this one, which is about a subjective personal taste, can't be correct or incorrect. And I didn't claim anything like that.

stargatedalek

While I admit the Battat style certainly isn't my favorite, and it definitely isn't as detailed or up to date (but it is much older) as either Safari Amargasaurus, I wouldn't call it "shoddy", that's the deliberate style of them.

I don't think to much of the Carnegie one either, but it's slightly more up to date and the detail work is a tad more visible, but it's still outdated and I just don't love the design.

This new Papo Amargasaurus is easily the worst though, a huge step down for Papo stylistically. Compare it to the new Spinosaurus right above it, it's so simplistic and bland, a lackluster addition to Papo's roster to say the least.

Faelrin

If this is indeed a legit Papo figure, call me disappointed. Well I hope their other releases for 2018 are at least better to look at.

Edit: I said color though? That's what sleep deprivation does.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

tyrantqueen

I don't think the Amargasaurus is that bad but it's not up to their usual standards. I strongly suspect it was created by the same guy that made the Tylosaurus. The paint style def looks the same (lots of dark washing to highlight details).

Sim

Quote from: Reptilia on October 22, 2017, 03:50:14 PM
An opinion like this one, which is about a subjective personal taste, can't be correct or incorrect. And I didn't claim anything like that.

But you said:

Quote from: Reptilia on October 22, 2017, 02:43:52 PM
You can't tell that it is worse, detail-wise. These two aren't really good figures if you get out of the mythical aura that both Battat and Carnegie are surrounded. Especially Battat, the sculpt is so shoddy. The PNSO Amargasaurus is an elegant figure, but not any of these, in my opinion.

In that quote you asserted that if people think the Battat or Carnegie Amargasaurus are very good figures, it's due to being in "the mythical aura" that surrounds those two lines, and that those people's personal opinions are therefore incorrect.  You even stated that the Battat figure's sculpt is "so shoddy".  The Battat and Carnegie Amargasaurus aren't perfect, but they're good and well-made.

As for most Battat figures looking shoddy to you, that idea is contradicted by the amount of research and attention to detail that has gone into these figures.

Quote from: stargatedalek on October 22, 2017, 04:10:12 PM
While I admit the Battat style certainly isn't my favorite, and it definitely isn't as detailed or up to date (but it is much older) as either Safari Amargasaurus, I wouldn't call it "shoddy", that's the deliberate style of them.

I don't think to much of the Carnegie one either, but it's slightly more up to date and the detail work is a tad more visible, but it's still outdated and I just don't love the design.

The Battat Amargasaurus has U-shaped hands though, while I think the Carnegie has the outdated O-shaped hands.  The Battat figures also tend to give a good amount of tail muscle to their figures, something which has taken much longer to be incorporated in dinosaur figures from other lines, the Carnegie line I believe ended with them still making dinosaurs with not a lot of tail muscle.

tyrantqueen

There is a difference between technical artistic skill and scientific accuracy. The former is subjective, the latter is not. A figure can be sculpted beautifully, but can be woefully inaccurate (as most Papos tend to be). Whereas some of the rougher looking Battats still have decent accuracy, even to this day.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Faelrin on October 22, 2017, 04:37:14 PM
If this is indeed a legit Papo figure, call me disappointed. Well I hope their other releases for 2018 are at least better to look at.

Get to bed, staying up late isn't good for you >:D

Faelrin

Quote from: tyrantqueen on October 22, 2017, 04:47:38 PM
Quote from: Faelrin on October 22, 2017, 04:37:14 PM

Get to bed, staying up late isn't good for you >:D
Haha, that and being woken up early. They don't make a good pair.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Irritation

Maybe it's just a prototype and the first images are the ones of the final product, but I doubt it.

Oh yeah, there's some kind of theropod behind this spinosaurus. Could be a rainbow running T-Rex or maybe a new species, maybe even a Giganotosaurus.

stargatedalek

Quote from: Sim on October 22, 2017, 04:41:35 PM
Quote from: stargatedalek on October 22, 2017, 04:10:12 PM

The Battat Amargasaurus has U-shaped hands though, while I think the Carnegie has the outdated O-shaped hands.  The Battat figures also tend to give a good amount of tail muscle to their figures, something which has taken much longer to be incorporated in dinosaur figures from other lines, the Carnegie line I believe ended with them still making dinosaurs with not a lot of tail muscle.
I was looking at the ridge and the spines (neither of them get both right, gotta give that to the new Safari), didn't realize the Carnegie had the foot pads wrong. Odder still since it gets the back feet right and the Battat didn't.

Shonisaurus

Quote from: Irritation on October 22, 2017, 05:31:44 PM
Maybe it's just a prototype and the first images are the ones of the final product, but I doubt it.

Oh yeah, there's some kind of theropod behind this spinosaurus. Could be a rainbow running T-Rex or maybe a new species, maybe even a Giganotosaurus.

Sorry to disappoint you but that is the tyrannosaurus running that made Papo in his day, it is not unfortunately a giganotosaurus.

Irritation

Quote from: Shonisaurus on October 22, 2017, 07:36:41 PM
Quote from: Irritation on October 22, 2017, 05:31:44 PM

Sorry to disappoint you but that is the tyrannosaurus running that made Papo in his day, it is not unfortunately a giganotosaurus.
I'm not too disappointed, I had to think about it for a little bit.

Loon

Looks like an amargasaurus mated with the Creature from the from the Black Lagoon.

Simon

Quote from: Loon on October 22, 2017, 07:48:17 PM
Looks like an amargasaurus mated with the Creature from the from the Black Lagoon.

*LOL*  I nominate this for the "Post of the Day"!  ;D ;D ;D

Joey

This Amarga does not look that great actually after looking at the picture for a little longer. It also has this gray or black wash over it, that brings out the wrinkles a little too much.

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.