News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Top 10 Apatosaurus/Brontosaurus Toys [Complete]

Started by Gwangi, October 31, 2017, 06:07:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What are your top 10 favorite Apatosaurus/Brontosaurus Figures?

Great Dinosaurs by Safari
Wild Safari by Safari (1996)
Wild Safari by Safari (2010)
Carnegie by Safari
Carnegie by Safari (Baby)
Bullyland Museum Line
Invicta
Tyco
Marx
Papo
Furuta
Kaiyodo Dinotales Series 3
Soft model by Favorite Co. Ltd.
Schleich 2008
World of History by Schleich
Inpro
CollectA
CollectA Mini
Bronze SRG
Miller
Sinclair Dinoland Mold-A-Rama
MPC
Recur
GeoWorld Jurassic Hunters
GeoWorld Jurassic Action
Definitely Dinosaurs by Playskool (Large)
Definitely Dinosaurs by Playskool (Small)
Toy Major
Imperial

Gwangi

Been awhile since I helmed one of these. Recent discussions on the WS 2018 thread got me in the mood. I'll list some here, you guys suggest what else should be added to the short list.

Carnegie by Safari
Carnegie by Safari (baby)
Bullyland Museum Line
Invicta
Tyco
Marx
Papo
Furuta
Schleich 2008
Inpro
CollectA
CollectA Mini
Bronze SRG
Miller
Sinclair Dinoland Mold-A-Rama
MPC
Recur
GeoWorld Jurassic Hunters
GeoWorld Jurassic Action
Definitely Dinosaurs by Playskool (Large)
Definitely Dinosaurs by Playskool (Small)
Toy Major
Imperial

Who else is there?

laticauda

Quote from: Gwangi on October 31, 2017, 06:07:55 PM
Been awhile since I helmed one of these. Recent discussions on the WS 2018 thread got me in the mood. I'll list some here, you guys suggest what else should be added to the short list.

Carnegie by Safari
Bullyland Museum Line
Invicta
Tyco
Marx
Papo
Furuta
Schleich 2008
Inpro

Who else is there?
What about the old metal SRG?

Doug Watson

I would also suggest the rearward facing JH Miller Brontosaurus it actually had a more correct head than the later Marx Bronto where they went with the Camarasaurus skull.

Also the Sinclair Dinoland Brontosaurus with the wrong head is pretty iconic.

Halichoeres

I can think of others, but none that I would actually vote for. Seems like a good list.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

amargasaurus cazaui

a few more might be the other Sinclair version, the gas premium Brontosaurus and the MPC either purple cereal premium or regular playset version....or not. Just a few ideas....
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Gwangi

Awesome. I'll give this thread a few more days and then I'll start the poll. Get suggestions in while you can folks!

Takama

IrritatorRaji

When you say "toys" do you mean exclusively plastic models / figures?

Halichoeres

Quote from: IrritatorRaji on November 05, 2017, 02:51:19 PM

That's usually how this goes. Doesn't seem fair to include things like Sideshow statues, which are in a whole different universe of production and cost.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

IrritatorRaji

Quote from: Halichoeres on November 05, 2017, 05:21:43 PM

That's usually how this goes. Doesn't seem fair to include things like Sideshow statues, which are in a whole different universe of production and cost.

Was actually thinking along the lines of Jungle Plush, especially since they market their products as "accurate and educational"

SidB

I'd suggest the Favorite Apatosaurus (2004).

Halichoeres

Quote from: IrritatorRaji on November 05, 2017, 07:25:04 PM
Quote from: Halichoeres on November 05, 2017, 05:21:43 PM

Was actually thinking along the lines of Jungle Plush, especially since they market their products as "accurate and educational"

Ah, okay. Well, I doubt it would get many votes, but if you would vote for it then I think it's probably fair to include it. Gwangi's call in the end, of course.

Takama

Cant Forget the Geoworld models

Jurassic Action

Jurassic Hunters

Takama

Honestly, this is too Genric of a subject for a Poll. There are Hundreds of diffrent Apatosaurus toys out there.  Even from the majour companys

Just take a look at this Page
http://toyanimal.info//index.php?title=Apatosaurus

Gwangi

Quote from: Takama on November 05, 2017, 08:25:36 PM
Honestly, this is too Genric of a subject for a Poll. There are Hundreds of diffrent Apatosaurus toys out there.  Even from the majour companys

Just take a look at this Page
http://toyanimal.info//index.php?title=Apatosaurus

No, not really. It doesn't need to include every figure made of the genus, only the ones suggested here. It's pretty easy to separate the chaff from the wheat on this one. The rule is simple, suggest what MUST be on the poll, or what you want on there to vote for. This is the process behind a short list.

Joey

I'm pretty sure there was a Toy Major Apatosaurus that came with one of those Animal Planet tubs.

SomeRandomPaleoNerd

It may not be worthy of entering a poll. But I think the imperial one is an option.
"Imagine if you could travel back in time, to a time long before man"

Neosodon

I actually kind of like this one by shleich. I saw this model in person at a school years ago and it was actually quite impressive for its time considering it was made by shleich.

"3,000 km to the south, the massive comet crashes into Earth. The light from the impact fades in silence. Then the shock waves arrive. Next comes the blast front. Finally a rain of molten rock starts to fall out of the darkening sky - this is the end of the age of the dinosaurs. The Comet struck the Gulf of Mexico with the force of 10 billion Hiroshima bombs. And with the catastrophic climate changes that followed 65% of all life died out. It took millions of years for the earth to recover but when it did the giant dinosaurs were gone - never to return." - WWD

DC

If I limit myself to modern reconstructions. I liked the Bullyland final Apatosaurus but it is long out of production. The Wild Safari are the best for me. That said the CollectA mini is interesting, would like to see in a bigger format.  Since there are several species of Apatosaurus / Brontosaurus I think Schleich deserves a honorable mention. They are potential for the more robust species. I have always thought their best work was with sauropods.

Takama thanks for the link
You can never have too many dinosaurs

BlueKrono

Imperial made one, for those experiencing childhood nostalgia.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.