News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Top 10 Apatosaurus/Brontosaurus Toys [Complete]

Started by Gwangi, October 31, 2017, 06:07:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What are your top 10 favorite Apatosaurus/Brontosaurus Figures?

Great Dinosaurs by Safari
Wild Safari by Safari (1996)
Wild Safari by Safari (2010)
Carnegie by Safari
Carnegie by Safari (Baby)
Bullyland Museum Line
Invicta
Tyco
Marx
Papo
Furuta
Kaiyodo Dinotales Series 3
Soft model by Favorite Co. Ltd.
Schleich 2008
World of History by Schleich
Inpro
CollectA
CollectA Mini
Bronze SRG
Miller
Sinclair Dinoland Mold-A-Rama
MPC
Recur
GeoWorld Jurassic Hunters
GeoWorld Jurassic Action
Definitely Dinosaurs by Playskool (Large)
Definitely Dinosaurs by Playskool (Small)
Toy Major
Imperial

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Gwangi on November 05, 2017, 09:07:20 PM
Quote from: Takama on November 05, 2017, 08:25:36 PM
Honestly, this is too Genric of a subject for a Poll. There are Hundreds of diffrent Apatosaurus toys out there.  Even from the majour companys

Just take a look at this Page
http://toyanimal.info//index.php?title=Apatosaurus

No, not really. It doesn't need to include every figure made of the genus, only the ones suggested here. It's pretty easy to separate the chaff from the wheat on this one. The rule is simple, suggest what MUST be on the poll, or what you want on there to vote for. This is the process behind a short list.

Exactly. In any case, I counted only 35 at that link, not "hundreds".

DinoToyForum

There are two Carnegie Apatosaurus, adult and baby.

SidB

Two would be right, since the earlier 1988-9 tail drooper essentially segues into the later one with the elevated tail;  the two baby ones are basically the same other than the orientation of the head.

Georassic

does anyone have any insight regarding the specific species of some of these figures? I have three Apatosaurus figures: brown-striped Bullyland, the Papo "young," and the grey 2010 Wild Safari.  I'd love to know what species they are, if anyone can help.
Thanks!

Lanthanotus

none of the companies gave any hint on the species other than genus name. However, Papo's seems to be greatly inspired by Sideshow's Apatosaurus which is supposed to represent A. lousiae, so I dare say Papo's is A. lousiae aswell. And while I frequently read about "young", the figure shows no traits of a particular young animal, but rather the heavy build of an adult. Doug Watson, the sculptor of the Wild Safari Apato sure had a species in mind when doin' his work, best ask him here on the forum. For Bullyland I'd be surprised if the sculptor even knew there's more than one species :D (I love Bullyland and that Apatosaurus figure, but judging the details that go in their figures, I guess you know what I mean).

Georassic

Quote from: Lanthanotus on January 22, 2018, 06:55:43 PM
none of the companies gave any hint on the species other than genus name. However, Papo's seems to be greatly inspired by Sideshow's Apatosaurus which is supposed to represent A. lousiae, so I dare say Papo's is A. lousiae aswell. And while I frequently read about "young", the figure shows no traits of a particular young animal, but rather the heavy build of an adult. Doug Watson, the sculptor of the Wild Safari Apato sure had a species in mind when doin' his work, best ask him here on the forum. For Bullyland I'd be surprised if the sculptor even knew there's more than one species :D (I love Bullyland and that Apatosaurus figure, but judging the details that go in their figures, I guess you know what I mean).
Thanks Lanthanotus.

You and I share the same opinion of the Papo... I see "young" on this forum, but the figure doesn't identify as young, and it never struck me as young. That's why I put "young" in quotes.   :)

We also share opinion on the Bullyland figure, and others. Despite its flaws, it's one of my favorite sauropod figures, and I generally like Bullyland's paint schemes over other brands. They make vibrant colors look realistic.

I know Doug sculpted the Safari; I'm hoping he'll see this and educate me.  :D

Gwangi

I suppose this thread has been here long enough but I wonder if I should wait for the CollectA Brontosaurus before creating the poll. Or is the stock picture of it good enough?

Georassic

Quote from: Gwangi on January 22, 2018, 09:25:06 PM
I suppose this thread has been here long enough but I wonder if I should wait for the CollectA Brontosaurus before creating the poll. Or is the stock picture of it good enough?

I vote the first true Brontosaurus worth waiting for. Then again, it may be many months before a large sampling of US collectors like us have it.

Halichoeres

I agree it's worth waiting till a few people have it in hand and have shared non-stock images.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Fembrogon

I third the notion to wait for the Collecta; that's first genuine Brontosaurus we've had in a while, by a major toy brand, no less.

ceratopsian

Best to wait in my opinion - a figure seen for real can be quite different (for good or bad!) from a stock photo.  It's a 3D object and needs to be seen in the round to be appreciated fully.

Gwangi

Now that the CollectA Brontosaurus is making its appearance I would like to go ahead and make the poll. Any last minute suggestions?

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Gwangi on July 02, 2018, 07:39:46 PM
Now that the CollectA Brontosaurus is making its appearance I would like to go ahead and make the poll. Any last minute suggestions?

Not from me. :)

Gwangi

Time to vote for your top 10 Apatosaurus/Brontosaurus toys. 10 votes per person. Have fun!

stegosauria

It would be good if there was some pictures. There's a plenty of figure I don't know in the list. And some figures are missing from the list like the old Schleich Replica-saurus Apatosaurus and if the Carnegie baby Apatosaurus is in the list that shouldn't been the only baby.

Gwangi

Quote from: stegosauria on July 11, 2018, 12:11:21 PM
It would be good if there was some pictures. There's a plenty of figure I don't know in the list. And some figures are missing from the list like the old Schleich Replica-saurus Apatosaurus and if the Carnegie baby Apatosaurus is in the list that shouldn't been the only baby.

There has been a thread up since October for people to suggest what should be on this list. Everything that members suggested should be on the list was added. The Schleich model you're talking about is on the list as Schleich 2008. As for pictures, Google search or visit the Dinosaur Toy Blog Apatosaurus page.

SidB

Based on the vote so far, it looks like you were right in waiting for the Collecta Brontosaurus to become available.

Dyscrasia

I know that it is technically not a "figure", but Sideshow's Apatosaurus with the original color scheme is my all-time fav Apatosaurus model so far.

I also have a soft spot for that retro Apatosaurus by Invicta.

Gwangi

Also love the Invicta Apatosaurus, but still don't have one. It got my vote though.

Halichoeres

This was surprisingly difficult! There've been a fair few good Apatosaurus toys over the years.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.