News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

CollectA: New for 2018

Started by Mironimus, November 03, 2017, 09:53:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shonisaurus

Sciurumimus is more than acceptable, their colors are conservative and I like them. The size is small and that is just because of that figure a juvenile specimen is known.

As for mantellisaurus, her figure is very pretty  8) but too small that does not take away her beauty. What I say every year what I do not love in the dinosaurs and animals of Collecta is his war painting but he is a great figure and I respect Collecta's philosophy.

The positive of the small dinosaur figures that can easily be placed on any shelf without problems. I would have preferred a mantellisaurus deluxe,
But we must also congratulate Collecta for two things have made two figures of dinosaurs unpublished in the world of toys and in the case of mantellisaurus what I appreciate most is that it is an ornithopod since these figures are practically nullified by almost all companies of toy except honorable exceptions.

In a way I know little by little this first revelation, in the sense that only two dinosaurs have been released, the positive is that they are very nice and that is appreciated.  :D

Irritation

I mostly love the Mantellisaurus, and I hope we can get one that isn't drinking.

John

So far so good!Both the Mantellisaurus and fuzzy juvenile Sciurumimus are excellent! ;D
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Jose S.M.

Quote from: Irritation on November 03, 2017, 05:14:13 PM
I mostly love the Mantellisaurus, and I hope we can get one that isn't drinking.

I don't  know if they would release the same species unless one is a deluxe, but I found curious that they name it drinking Mantellisaurus, that may be a hint of another one posed different coming too.

Minmiminime

The Mantellisaurus is a yes...the Sciurimimus is a no, the neck and head just look a bit off...but it's probably still the best Sciurimimus out there  ^-^
"You can have all the dinosaurs you want my love, providing we have enough space"

terrorchicken

never heard of these two dinos. I love the pose of Mantellisaurus but those colors? red and yellow? nooo, no! too Ronald McDonald for me!

Patrx

Quote from: Jose_S.M. on November 03, 2017, 05:27:12 PMI don't  know if they would release the same species unless one is a deluxe, but I found curious that they name it drinking Mantellisaurus, that may be a hint of another one posed different coming too.

Weren't there two poses available for the Standard Spinosaurus?

Jose S.M.

Quote from: Patrx on November 03, 2017, 05:45:29 PM
Quote from: Jose_S.M. on November 03, 2017, 05:27:12 PMI don't  know if they would release the same species unless one is a deluxe, but I found curious that they name it drinking Mantellisaurus, that may be a hint of another one posed different coming too.

Weren't there two poses available for the Standard Spinosaurus?
You're right! I forgot about that.

Neosodon

Their is nothing I dislike at all about the Mantellisaurus. The lime green on the Einiosaurus looked pretty bad but the color on the Mantellisaurus looks like more of a light olive which looks better and is more realistic. I've always liked dinosaurs in eating and drinking poses so that's a nice plus too. Excellent choice of dinosaur and I'll be picking it up for sure.

"3,000 km to the south, the massive comet crashes into Earth. The light from the impact fades in silence. Then the shock waves arrive. Next comes the blast front. Finally a rain of molten rock starts to fall out of the darkening sky - this is the end of the age of the dinosaurs. The Comet struck the Gulf of Mexico with the force of 10 billion Hiroshima bombs. And with the catastrophic climate changes that followed 65% of all life died out. It took millions of years for the earth to recover but when it did the giant dinosaurs were gone - never to return." - WWD

Ravonium

My opinions on the figures revealed so far

Sciurumimus: Just a question. Is that area of the tail that connects to the body supposed to be that fatty in comparison to the torso? If so, then my biggest problem with the figure is a scientific accuracy (Update: So turns out the proportionality problem is not with the tail itself, but with part of the area where the hips meet the tail. Thanks to the person who pointed this out in a post they made responding to this. Ignore the section I have crossed out.)
My other problem is the conservative feather colouring (In my opinion this can be forgiven as the specimen that this figure is based on is generally accepted as a juvenile, and in real life, juvenile birds have less vibrant feathering than adults). This being said, it is still better than most things Collecta released in their early days. I'm probably getting this one just because it's a small obscure feathered dinosaur.

Mantellisaurus: While TQ is certainly right about the figure not being thicc (never knew this word would be used on this forum) enough, this, in my opinion, is the best iguanodontian that Collecta has ever made. Unlike most people on this forum, I don't particularly care about "war painting" (as long as it isn't too bright and seizure inducing).

So far this is, unsurprisingly, a weak reveal for Collecta, especially for their dinosaurs. I do, however, wish them well with the rest of their reveals.

stargatedalek

Quote from: Ravonium on November 03, 2017, 06:03:39 PM
Sciurmimus: Just a question. Is that area of the tail that connects to the body supposed to be that fatty in comparison to the torso? If so, then my biggest problem with the figure is a scientific accuracy. My other problem is the conservative feather colouring (In my opinion this can be forgiven as the specimen that this figure is based on is generally accepted as a juvenile, and in real life, juvenile birds have less vibrant feathering than adults). This being said, it is still better than most things Collecta released in their early days. I'm probably getting this one just because it's a small obscure feathered dinosaur.
Actually the base of the tail is on the thing side. The thickness you're seeing is meant to represent the feathers being "inflated" as they likely would be in life. Look at where the tail meets the hips on the underside, it's very thin and a little under-muscled.

Flaffy

Finally, something from CollectA.
Lets see here, the Mantellisaurus is pretty good, a welcoming addition, but needs some beefing up to be perfect.
Not a huge fan of the Sciurumimus, might pick it up when I see it lying in a store some where

DC

I would count the saiga antelope as a new Ice age figure
You can never have too many dinosaurs

Shonisaurus

Quote from: Reptilia on November 03, 2017, 02:11:18 PM
Not impressed at all. The Mantellisaurus is nice, actually, but maybe a bit small? Let's see if there will be a different pose in the deluxe range, might become interesting. The Sciurumimus I honestly didn't even know about, but I just don't like the figure. I'm sure there are way better things to come from Collecta.

*** high walking Dimetrodon, please! ***

I think that Collecta is going to reveal its figures from the least interesting to the most interesting. I understand that it is a good strategy, I have the conviction that they are leaving the best for the end.

Reptilia

I think the same Shonisaurus, sure the best have yet to come.

John

There are no errors that I can see in the Mantellisaurus here.
If it were to be "beefed up" as some want it to be then it would no longer be accurate,just another Papo-like over muscled monster.That would defeat the whole purpose of the line...
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Joey

Oh man, so far so good Collecta! The Mantellisaurus is very nice looking and one of the only 'drinking ornithopods' that I know of. The Sciurumimus is also a very nice figure depicting a juvenile dinosaur and is also kind of cute honestly.

suspsy

I wonder if 2018 will be the year that we get a Supreme-class Yi qi. Fingers crossed!
IMG_0123 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

Takama

Numaan fromSTS forum had this to say

Quote from: NumaanA friend at CollectA has sent me some information some of which I enclose below for your reference.  It just talks about the decision to revamp the catalogue and adjust some of the lines.  Given the wildlife range has expanded so much it makes sense to me.  See below:

You will notice when you see the list of novelties that CollectA has re-grouped the animal categories. In the past 3 years our line has changed so much in regard to what kind of species we have worked on and the release of our AR line (Augmented Reality) so as the development of the "Minis" that the whole concept as well as our catalgoue were in need of a make-over.
Catalogue and price list now have the following groups and sub-groups:

1) Prehistoric World with the following sub-categories
a) Collecta AR (Augmented Reality)
b) The Age of Dinosaurs Deluxe
c) The Age of Dinosaurs 1:40
d) The Age of Dinosaurs Popular
e) Other Prehistoric Animals

Hopefully the 1:40 catagory will ACTAULLY HAVE 1:40 Scale Dinosaurs in it.

Jose S.M.

It would be great if the do it! And there's a lot of species that I would love to see from them but used to think they would only do it in the deluxe line,  which sometimes gets out of scale too much.

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.