News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Should we have a Discord?

Started by QuetzalcoatlusKing, November 10, 2017, 09:38:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should we have a discord.

Yes
11 (40.7%)
No
16 (59.3%)

Total Members Voted: 27

QuetzalcoatlusKing

PumperKrickel

deleted

Ravonium

There's the issue of who would host and moderate it. I don't think Admin has time to play video games or host another community apart from here, the Youtube channel and a few other social medias, so it will have to be hosted by another member, which will be difficult since a lot of other members don't have time to play video games and/or don't have time to host a community.

Update: Removed the personal rant since it didn't help my case.

tyrantqueen

What's a discord? That evil creature thing from My Little Pony...?

Simon

Quote from: tyrantqueen on November 10, 2017, 10:30:02 PM
What's a discord? That evil creature thing from My Little Pony...?

Beat me to it, Tyrantqueen ...  ;)

stargatedalek

It doesn't seem as though all that many members actually play video games all that often, and even less so on PC, so I don't think we really need a Discord.

Quote from: Ravonium on November 10, 2017, 10:12:13 PM
There's the issue of who would host and moderate it. I don't think Admin has time to play video games or host another community apart from here, the Youtube channel and a few other social medias, so it will have to be hosted by another member, which will be difficult since a lot of other members don't have time to play video games and/or don't have time to host a community. I also see no real reason to have an extra dedicated community apart from here. Sure, it may bring in sudden influx of a few members, but I prefer the forum the way it is right now. It gives me (and probably a few other members) the opportunity to discuss things with like minded people that would not normally be able to get responses in my current life situation. I feel that the isolated but peaceful aspect to the forum would be taken away with a sudden influx of members from the Discord. I'm all for other people joining the forum, but not in a sudden influx from the same source/interconnected sources.
I'm sorry but that's rather ridiculous. Discord servers aren't for advertising or outreach, they aren't like Facebook or Twitter or blogs. It's just a simplified way for people to communicate. People can't even find or join a Discord without receiving a link to it that lets them join. It definitely wouldn't expose the forum to more people, and for better or worse even if it did that wouldn't equate to an increase in traffic on the forum, as the people joining would be there because they preferred Discord.

I'm not saying it wouldn't ever be used, I for one would give it a shot, I distinctly prefer Discord over platforms like Facebook or Twitter. I just don't think it would get much traffic.

If people want to give it a shot I could toss up a quick server, I for one voted no though just because I think it would be useless.

Ravonium

Thanks. I should have done a bit more research before writing the "potential new members joining" part of my post. I didn't realise that you couldn't find a Discord without a link. While I still retain my point about Admin not being able to host it and not a lot of members playing video games.

I now agree that it wouldn't receive a lot of traffic from the forum and from other sources.

Nanuqsaurus

Don't know why we would need it. Conversations on Discord often feel a lot more meaningless and chaotic than the ones on this forum. So I'd say no.

Libraraptor

Joey

Syndicate Bias

I mean I have a discord and play games but I think discord is a bad idea. The last gaming community I was in was pretty mu,h left barren for discord. If rather keep this one alive

QuetzalcoatlusKing

There seemed to be confusion with the discord so ill address it.
1. The discord wouldn't be for gaming, it would be a faster way to talk via voice or text.
2. Discord has a Mobile App

Syndicate Bias

I know it's a bad idea in general, older users will likely not join and it just kills the community and splits it apart.

GojiraGuy1954

I made a discord server based on this forum and here is the invite

https://discord.gg/QDmEfMN

feel free to suggest any channels, categories or bots that I should add

rules are for the most part the same as the forum with some alterations
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Stolpergeist on October 23, 2020, 05:40:47 PM
'Hacker voice'
I'm in.
Is it okay if I change your nickname in the server to your DTF one? just for easier identification when more people join

GojiraGuy1954

I made a discord server based on this forum and here is the invite

https://discord.gg/QDmEfMN

feel free to suggest any channels, categories or bots that I should add

rules are for the most part the same as the forum with some alterations

I posted this in the members only thread but there wasn't a lot of traffic so i decided to post it here as well

DinoToyForum

I don't know what this is, but you don't have my permission to use the DinoToyForum's name, logo, and reputation in this way. Please append "Unofficial" to the name to make it clear that it is not presently endorsed or run by the Dinotoyforum owner. Thanks!

Edit: Topics merged. And I'm sure there is another thread floating the idea of a discord. I'll find it and merge that, too.

Edit 2. Old discord topic also merged. As you can see, the consensus was that we didn't want one.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.