News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

The Dinosaur Diorama Contest 2012 - poll now open

Started by DinoToyForum, July 15, 2012, 06:25:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Please vote for your top five dioramas (please register to vote)

1. Cretaceous Parents
7 (7.1%)
2. Morrison Dinosaur Safari
13 (13.3%)
3. Get out of my property boy!
17 (17.3%)
4. Private feast of the Jobaria
7 (7.1%)
5. Engagement of the Creek
4 (4.1%)
6. Charge of the Bull
21 (21.4%)
7. Unexpected company
20 (20.4%)
8. Ambush at Ghost Ranch
13 (13.3%)
9. Tyrant of the Wasteland
50 (51%)
10. Calling All Cosmos!
5 (5.1%)
11. The eggnapper
8 (8.2%)
12. Queen of the Land
7 (7.1%)
13. Dangerous crossing
21 (21.4%)
14. Ambushing
7 (7.1%)
15. In the Footsteps of Giants
6 (6.1%)
16. Scavenging: That's kind of what we do
2 (2%)
17. Cretaceous Cliffhanger: Torosaurus' Lucky Day
10 (10.2%)
18. The Last Supper
15 (15.3%)
19. The Original "Hunger Games"
3 (3.1%)
20. Desperation
21 (21.4%)
21. Jurassic fight club
6 (6.1%)
22. You'd better go hunt some sauropods, mate. I ain't sharing this sturgeon
21 (21.4%)
23. A Nice Place to Drink
17 (17.3%)
24. In the Forest of the Panzerbeasts
12 (12.2%)
25. Flaming red
4 (4.1%)
26. The Thrill of the Hunt
2 (2%)
27. Feathered Dragon
25 (25.5%)
28. Better make myself look big!
11 (11.2%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Voting closed: August 14, 2012, 06:25:08 PM

DinoToyForum

Voting is now closed!

Congratulations to the following 15 dioramas who will be going through to round 2:

2. Morrison Dinosaur Safari
3. Get out of my property boy!
6. Charge of the Bull
7. Unexpected company
8. Ambush at Ghost Ranch
9. Tyrant of the Wasteland
13. Dangerous crossing
17. Cretaceous Cliffhanger: Torosaurus' Lucky Day
18. The Last Supper
20. Desperation
22. You'd better go hunt some sauropods, mate. I ain't sharing this sturgeon
23. A Nice Place to Drink
24. In the Forest of the Panzerbeasts
27. Feathered Dragon
28. Better make myself look big!

These will be considered by our panel of judges who will pick three winners.

Thanks, of course, to all the other participants. Please don't reveal yourselves just yet though, I'd like to keep things anonymous for now :)

Battatitan

Thanks Boki  ^-^

And congratulations to all the participants who are going through! They really are all very good. Best of luck to everyone.  ;)

SBell

I'm probably more interested to see how the judges make their decisions--given the range of experience and professions (I think, I can't find the list!) it will be interesting to see what their personal criteria leads to (most interestingly--will their picks agree at all, or will they diverge wildly?).

Gwangi

Sorry if this has been answered already but how long until we know their votes?

Simon

I think the only suspense is about which dio pic comes in THIRD.

DinoToyForum

Gwangi

Quote from: Simon on August 15, 2012, 10:20:10 PM
I think the only suspense is about which dio pic comes in THIRD.

Agreed on that! At this point I'm actually just as excited to finally admit which one was mine and share the other pictures I took, maybe everyone will tell me I submitted the wrong one!  :P

Thanks Adam, I'll try to remain patient! I've waited a month, what's a few days...or weeks...or another month?  ???

amargasaurus cazaui

I am not as sure I agree. People see things through different eyes and given different experiences to build from. What pleases one set of eyes might well rub another wrongly for some small reason, we have not even considered.  I think there is plenty of suspense left in the game and am excited to see how the choices are made and so forth.
Either way its been alot of fun and really awesome to get to see so many amazing takes and ideas from everyone . Next year do we get to call it the "Dinorama Contest" ?
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Gwangi

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on August 16, 2012, 01:15:25 AM
I am not as sure I agree. People see things through different eyes and given different experiences to build from. What pleases one set of eyes might well rub another wrongly for some small reason, we have not even considered.  I think there is plenty of suspense left in the game and am excited to see how the choices are made and so forth.
Either way its been alot of fun and really awesome to get to see so many amazing takes and ideas from everyone . Next year do we get to call it the "Dinorama Contest" ?

All good points. I would be interested in hearing why certain people voted for their particular choices. I'm also hoping to get a critique on my entry so I can better understand what mistakes I may have made.

ZoPteryx

Quote from: Gwangi on August 16, 2012, 01:52:55 AM
I would be interested in hearing why certain people voted for their particular choices. I'm also hoping to get a critique on my entry so I can better understand what mistakes I may have made.

Me too! ^-^

Do you think we'll get to see what the judges thought of each entry, or at least our own?

Gwangi

Quote from: Zopteryx on August 16, 2012, 02:53:57 AM
I would be interested in hearing why certain people voted for their particular choices. I'm also hoping to get a critique on my entry so I can better understand what mistakes I may have made.

Me too! ^-^

Do you think we'll get to see what the judges thought of each entry, or at least our own?

It would be really cool if we did but I doubt they have the time to critique all fifteen contestants let alone every entry.  :-\

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: Zopteryx on August 16, 2012, 02:53:57 AM

Me too! ^-^

I already know what mistake I made with mine...I took the picture !!! Ha....It would be interesting to have the judges write a summary of their thoughts on each entry albeit time consuming and somewhat demanding for them
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Aram-Rex

tyrantqueen

amargasaurus cazaui

Would assume Dr admin is busy but did want to mention at least the links to vote and saying the contest are open are still on the page.

Aram-Rex

Some dioramas deserved to go through to the next round.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Aram-Rex on August 17, 2012, 05:04:59 PM
Maybe, but that's the way it goes :-\

SBell

Quote from: tyrantqueen on August 17, 2012, 07:48:43 PM
Quote from: Aram-Rex on August 17, 2012, 05:04:59 PM
Maybe, but that's the way it goes :-\

More than half are in round two--the odds were pretty decent, but sometimes things don't grab people in expected ways.  Judging by previous posts in this thread, I think I know which one he means.

amargasaurus cazaui

There is always next time to try again, and way I see it , you have 28 pictures to study and see what to do and what NOT to do the next time. With that wealth of information and experience, it comes down to how well you capitalize on your opportunity.

Gwangi

Amarga is right. Honestly I thought my picture would do better than it did but rather than get discouraged about it I'm hoping to get some input on why it received the number of votes it did...though I have a couple ideas why. It is a learning process for sure and I'm a bit surprised by some of the numbers but it is what it is. Fifteen out of 28 going to the next voting process is pretty damn good.

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.