News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

The Dinosaur Diorama Contest 2012 - poll now open

Started by DinoToyForum, July 15, 2012, 06:25:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Please vote for your top five dioramas (please register to vote)

1. Cretaceous Parents
7 (7.1%)
2. Morrison Dinosaur Safari
13 (13.3%)
3. Get out of my property boy!
17 (17.3%)
4. Private feast of the Jobaria
7 (7.1%)
5. Engagement of the Creek
4 (4.1%)
6. Charge of the Bull
21 (21.4%)
7. Unexpected company
20 (20.4%)
8. Ambush at Ghost Ranch
13 (13.3%)
9. Tyrant of the Wasteland
50 (51%)
10. Calling All Cosmos!
5 (5.1%)
11. The eggnapper
8 (8.2%)
12. Queen of the Land
7 (7.1%)
13. Dangerous crossing
21 (21.4%)
14. Ambushing
7 (7.1%)
15. In the Footsteps of Giants
6 (6.1%)
16. Scavenging: That's kind of what we do
2 (2%)
17. Cretaceous Cliffhanger: Torosaurus' Lucky Day
10 (10.2%)
18. The Last Supper
15 (15.3%)
19. The Original "Hunger Games"
3 (3.1%)
20. Desperation
21 (21.4%)
21. Jurassic fight club
6 (6.1%)
22. You'd better go hunt some sauropods, mate. I ain't sharing this sturgeon
21 (21.4%)
23. A Nice Place to Drink
17 (17.3%)
24. In the Forest of the Panzerbeasts
12 (12.2%)
25. Flaming red
4 (4.1%)
26. The Thrill of the Hunt
2 (2%)
27. Feathered Dragon
25 (25.5%)
28. Better make myself look big!
11 (11.2%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Voting closed: August 14, 2012, 06:25:08 PM

jweber26

Congrats to all who made it to the next round and kudos to everyone putting yourself out there in the first round! A very nice mix of entries.

DinoToyForum

Rather conveniently, and entirely unplanned, all three judges and myself will be attending the upcoming SVPCA vertebrate palaeontology conference in Oxford in the second week of September. As such, we have agreed to meet up one evening for the judges to compare notes and come to a consensus decision in person.

Therefore, all going well, I should be able to announce the winners (in the form of a Dinosaur Toy Blog entry) on Saturday the 15th or Sunday the 16th September. Thank you all for your patience.

Ikessauro

I tought that by now the winners would have been announced, but I don't see any news... Hey Adam, any chance we get to know who are the lucky guys today?

DinoToyForum

Nearly! I'm just waiting for the judges to sign off on some feedback quotes. I'll post the results in a blog entry.

DinoToyForum

Evidence of the judges pondering over the dioramas ;D Completely natural, no posing, honest!

Himmapaan

Darren's intensity in the task betrays itself most, it would seem.  ;D

DinoToyForum

Sorry for the long delay, but I've posted the results on the blog here: http://www.dinotoyblog.com/2012/09/20/dinosaur-diorama-contest-2012-winners/

Here's a summary of the winners:

First place. Diorama 9. 'Tyrant of the Wasteland' by Jeremy K9
Second place. Diorama 22. 'You'd better go hunt some sauropods, mate. I ain't sharing this sturgeon' by Vermilion
Third place. Diorama 13. 'Dangerous Crossing' by Turret

Honourable mentions
Diorama 27. 'Feathered Dragon' by Zopteryx
Diorama 6.'Charge of the bull' by Amargasaurus Cazaui
Diorama 18. 'The last Supper' by Bokisaurus

Jetoar

[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

Ikessauro

Quote from: dinotoyforum on September 20, 2012, 10:35:53 AM
Sorry for the long delay, but I've posted the results on the blog here: http://www.dinotoyblog.com/2012/09/20/dinosaur-diorama-contest-2012-winners/

Here's a summary of the winners:

First place. Diorama 9. 'Tyrant of the Wasteland' by Jeremy K9
Second place. Diorama 22. 'You'd better go hunt some sauropods, mate. I ain't sharing this sturgeon' by Vermilion
Third place. Diorama 13. 'Dangerous Crossing' by Turret

Honourable mentions
Diorama 27. 'Feathered Dragon' by Zopteryx
Diorama 6.'Charge of the bull' by Amargasaurus Cazaui
Diorama 18. 'The last Supper' by Bokisaurus

Hey, finally; Congrats to the winners! This years contest was amazing. So many cool dioramas, so much to choose from. The winners really deserved it. Congrats to the Honourable mentions too, they did a good job! Really, that Tyrant of the Wasteland was awesome man, had to win. I hope next years contest will be better yet. For everyone else who didn't win, like me, bring on 2013 contest!!! Hahah. Just joking.

amargasaurus cazaui

Congratulations to the winners !! Nice work...will get ya next year...so count on it !!!
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

DinoToyForum

There were so many excellent dioramas, and so many different styles, that it was a difficult to choose. I think the wide spread of votes proves that. The more traditional style dioramas were a particular point of discussion for the judges.

Turret

So my humble diorama made it to third place? I honestly did not expect it getting that high, top 10 maby but not top 3. I do agree with the judges that I should have done it better but hey it was my first time doing a diorama like that.

Also I would like to give my congratulations to the other winners, honorable mentions and all who participated in the contest, it was really nice to see that many good dioramas in one place.

stemturtle

Quote from: dinotoyforum on September 20, 2012, 01:57:28 PM
There were so many excellent dioramas, and so many different styles, that it was a difficult to choose. I think the wide spread of votes proves that. The more traditional style dioramas were a particular point of discussion for the judges.

A modern definition of a diorama is that it is a scene that captures a moment in time.
To paraphrase Wikipedia, a traditional diorama is a scale model of a landscape showing a natural scene.  The DTF contest voting reflected a preference for the first definition.

Mural at New Mexico Museum of Natural History and Science (Click image)

Coke

Congratulations to the winners! They are really wonderful. Really. I'd like to participate the next time.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Turret on September 20, 2012, 02:44:03 PM
So my humble diorama made it to third place? I honestly did not expect it getting that high, top 10 maby but not top 3. I do agree with the judges that I should have done it better but hey it was my first time doing a diorama like that.

Also I would like to give my congratulations to the other winners, honorable mentions and all who participated in the contest, it was really nice to see that many good dioramas in one place.

It was the creativity of your idea/concept, and the simple story it tells, that captured the attention of the judges. Congratulations, and drop me an email with your mailing address, your prize will be whatever is left after the other two winners pick their prizes :)

Vermilion

Congratulations to everyone! :) It was a tough competition!

Himmapaan

paleoferroequine

Yes, congrats to all the winners and everybody that entered!  There were a lot of good ideas this time. I imagine it was tough for the judges. ;D  Maybe I will enter next year.

Libraraptor

Congatulations everyone! The result is okay by me, although it doesn´t 1:1 represent my personal favourites.

0onarcissisto0

Congratulations, everyone! Will definitely be joining next year so watch out!! :P
If the sculptor has nothing but science his hands will have no art.

- DK -

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.