News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

The Dinosaur Diorama Contest 2012 - poll now open

Started by DinoToyForum, July 15, 2012, 06:25:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Please vote for your top five dioramas (please register to vote)

1. Cretaceous Parents
7 (7.1%)
2. Morrison Dinosaur Safari
13 (13.3%)
3. Get out of my property boy!
17 (17.3%)
4. Private feast of the Jobaria
7 (7.1%)
5. Engagement of the Creek
4 (4.1%)
6. Charge of the Bull
21 (21.4%)
7. Unexpected company
20 (20.4%)
8. Ambush at Ghost Ranch
13 (13.3%)
9. Tyrant of the Wasteland
50 (51%)
10. Calling All Cosmos!
5 (5.1%)
11. The eggnapper
8 (8.2%)
12. Queen of the Land
7 (7.1%)
13. Dangerous crossing
21 (21.4%)
14. Ambushing
7 (7.1%)
15. In the Footsteps of Giants
6 (6.1%)
16. Scavenging: That's kind of what we do
2 (2%)
17. Cretaceous Cliffhanger: Torosaurus' Lucky Day
10 (10.2%)
18. The Last Supper
15 (15.3%)
19. The Original "Hunger Games"
3 (3.1%)
20. Desperation
21 (21.4%)
21. Jurassic fight club
6 (6.1%)
22. You'd better go hunt some sauropods, mate. I ain't sharing this sturgeon
21 (21.4%)
23. A Nice Place to Drink
17 (17.3%)
24. In the Forest of the Panzerbeasts
12 (12.2%)
25. Flaming red
4 (4.1%)
26. The Thrill of the Hunt
2 (2%)
27. Feathered Dragon
25 (25.5%)
28. Better make myself look big!
11 (11.2%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Voting closed: August 14, 2012, 06:25:08 PM

Gwangi

DinoToyForum

ZoPteryx

Congrats to all the winners (and everyone else too)! ;)  And a big thanks to Admin for posting the judges thoughts on the enteries, they were very insightful! ^-^

Bokisaurus

Quote from: dinotoyforum on September 20, 2012, 10:35:53 AM
Sorry for the long delay, but I've posted the results on the blog here: http://www.dinotoyblog.com/2012/09/20/dinosaur-diorama-contest-2012-winners/

Here's a summary of the winners:

First place. Diorama 9. 'Tyrant of the Wasteland' by Jeremy K9
Second place. Diorama 22. 'You'd better go hunt some sauropods, mate. I ain't sharing this sturgeon' by Vermilion
Third place. Diorama 13. 'Dangerous Crossing' by Turret

Honourable mentions
Diorama 27. 'Feathered Dragon' by Zopteryx
Diorama 6.'Charge of the bull' by Amargasaurus Cazaui
Diorama 18. 'The last Supper' by Bokisaurus

Congratulations to all the winners! Great job! What a fun and unpredictable contest it has been! ;D
I enjoyed reading the judges comments on the blog, I'm glad that they were able to add them. Great to hear what made them choose the way they did, great learning ;)
Oh, and I'm happy I made it to # 6 ;D ;D ;D

Gryphoceratops

Metallisuchus

Congrats to the winners and runners-up. It really was hard to choose. One of my votes was for the Panzerbeasts diorama - something I thought would've done much better in the contest, though I wouldn't have placed the one Steggy that close to the camera.

My personal advice for anybody doing one next year is to be very choosy with which figures you use as some brands' styles are just too different to offer a consistent vibe in a single photo.

Takama

Now that the Contest concludes, I guess i can reveal my entry

Congrats to all who won. 

Gwangi

Quote from: Metallisuchus on September 22, 2012, 02:12:06 AM
Congrats to the winners and runners-up. It really was hard to choose. One of my votes was for the Panzerbeasts diorama - something I thought would've done much better in the contest, though I wouldn't have placed the one Steggy that close to the camera.

My personal advice for anybody doing one next year is to be very choosy with which figures you use as some brands' styles are just too different to offer a consistent vibe in a single photo.

Good advice there. I liked the Panserbeast one as well and was find with how close that stego was to the camera. I thought that picture did a very convincing job of making small toys look like large dinosaurs.

Mine was "Cretaceous Cliffhanger" BTW, the one with the Alamosaurus, Torosaurus and two rexes. There is an ongoing discussion about it in my diorama thread so feel free to let me know what you think of it. I'm looking for any advice you may have. Feel free to tell me why you voted for it or didn't. While I didn't expect to win against some of these entries I do admit that I thought I would have done better so criticism is welcome.

Metallisuchus

Quote from: Gwangi on September 22, 2012, 02:27:18 AM
Quote from: Metallisuchus on September 22, 2012, 02:12:06 AM

Good advice there. I liked the Panserbeast one as well and was find with how close that stego was to the camera. I thought that picture did a very convincing job of making small toys look like large dinosaurs.

Mine was "Cretaceous Cliffhanger" BTW, the one with the Alamosaurus, Torosaurus and two rexes. There is an ongoing discussion about it in my diorama thread so feel free to let me know what you think of it. I'm looking for any advice you may have. Feel free to tell me why you voted for it or didn't. While I didn't expect to win against some of these entries I do admit that I thought I would have done better so criticism is welcome.

Regarding the Panzerbeast one - the texture on the figure looks toy-ish in a close-up shot.

amargasaurus cazaui

I have a question but if the person does not wish to reveal themself that is fine, feel free to do so by private message. First I loved the paint schemes used for the dinosaurs in "desperation" ...are those kaiyodo pieces painted to look like that?
  my second and more predictable question, who painted that carnegie amargasaurus in the final entry and would you be willing to take a commission for another?
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Ikessauro

I voted for two of the winners, I really liked how they imagined the scene pictured. By the way, my dio was the only one from Pleistocene critters, the "Get out of my property boy!". It was supposed to represent a couple of Smilodons defending their territory from another predator, the Terror Bird. Didn't work too well as I couldn't find a good way to take a photo. I wanted a very sunny environment, but it was hard to place the whole diorama  outside whithout having unwanted backgrounds on the photo. Actually I made that dio for 2011 contest, which saddly didn't happen, and because I had little time to create a new one this year, I used the mammalian one anyway. ;D

I guess mammals are not very interesting, right? Ah, doesn't matter, it was a lot of fun. It's hard to decide what to do in a diorama. You can always choose to build one from scratch, everything artificial, or just place the models on a natural landscape. This years was tougher to decide because we had judges! I hope in 2013 we get way more entries than this year.

Balaur

Congrats to everybody. All dioramas where great! I'm coming next year, so you guys will be able to find out easly what my dio is. Lol!

Aram-Rex

I have a question for everyone. Did anyone think that the fire on the background in ''Jurassic Fight Club'' was photoshoped? I'm just curious :)

SBell

Quote from: Aram-Rex on September 23, 2012, 07:04:34 PM
I have a question for everyone. Did anyone think that the fire on the background in ''Jurassic Fight Club'' was photoshoped? I'm just curious :)

No. It looked like fire.

By any chance, was this one yours? You seemed quite invested in it.

Ikessauro

Quote from: Aram-Rex on September 23, 2012, 07:04:34 PM

I didn't, looks real. Why do you ask?

Bokisaurus

Quote from: Ikessauro on September 23, 2012, 04:41:24 PM
I voted for two of the winners, I really liked how they imagined the scene pictured. By the way, my dio was the only one from Pleistocene critters, the "Get out of my property boy!". It was supposed to represent a couple of Smilodons defending their territory from another predator, the Terror Bird. Didn't work too well as I couldn't find a good way to take a photo. I wanted a very sunny environment, but it was hard to place the whole diorama  outside whithout having unwanted backgrounds on the photo. Actually I made that dio for 2011 contest, which saddly didn't happen, and because I had little time to create a new one this year, I used the mammalian one anyway. ;D

I guess mammals are not very interesting, right? Ah, doesn't matter, it was a lot of fun. It's hard to decide what to do in a diorama. You can always choose to build one from scratch, everything artificial, or just place the models on a natural landscape. This years was tougher to decide because we had judges! I hope in 2013 we get way more entries than this year.

You know, I did a mammal also, but decided agains it later during the selection process...
What's hard with mammals is that there are few choices of figures to use that would work together, yours was a great attempt at recreating the scene :)

Gwangi

I really enjoyed your entry. I think if anything was wrong with it, it was the lighting. Everything is a bit too bright and washed out. The scene itself though is really well made and clever. Creative and original.

EDIT: I should note that I found it refreshing that not all the entries were of dinosaurs. I toyed around with the idea of doing a mammal diorama but I only own a small handful of them and most aren't particularly realistic. I really need to get more mammals and ice age mammals in particular for when winter comes.

Ikessauro

Thanks guys, I should have worked a bit more on the light for sure.

Aram-Rex

Gwangi

Quote from: Aram-Rex on September 24, 2012, 08:49:42 PM
I think he was talkin about my dio's lighting :D

If I'm the "he" you're talking about then no, I was talking about Ike's dio. I don't even know which one yours was.

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.