News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

DAMTOYS New for 2018

Started by RobinGoodfellow, November 23, 2017, 09:05:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RobinGoodfellow

Available: June/August 2018

Rainforest Version:

https://www.sideshowtoy.com/collectibles/smilodon-fatalis-wet-rainforest-version-damtoys-903255/

Gobi Version:

https://www.sideshowtoy.com/collectibles/smilodon-fatalis-dry-gobi-desert-version-damtoys-903256/

p.s ... it's the first "Similodon"  ;) (or SMILODON) for Sideshow (Damtoys)  but it looks cool..

Loon

It's a nice looking piece, I'm not a smilodon expert, is it accurate to modern reconstructions? Also, should this go in a DAMTOYS 2018 thread?

Flaffy

Something feels... off about this smilodon...

RobinGoodfellow

It will be distributed by Sideshow on Sideshow's webpage so it's a Sideshow's new 2018 piece..

It looks amazing to my eyes..  8)

tyrantqueen

I'm not interested in mammals at all, but shouldn't it have the lip flange thingies?

RobinGoodfellow

..the mouth seems to be quite correct to me for a roaring animal (Smilodon is clearly in a "pre-roaring" pose)..

Shonisaurus

Sorry that Sideshow is such an expensive company and that your smilodon is not made of material like PVC. But I bought it.

tanystropheus

They've managed to make a cat look more majestic than a tiger/lion...SS should seriously consider doing a 1/40 scale line. They would dominate.

PhilSauria

Magnificent!I only wish that I could afford these things - the postage alone to Australia would require a small bank loan! I have printouts of the Sideshow Triceratops and Apatosaurus on the wall, so at least I can look at them as I contemplate buying a lottery ticket.

Faelrin

I think it looks really nice, and I like how it has spots or stripes for the different environments. It honestly reminds me of the Sabrecats from Skyrim a lot. Too bad statues are too expensive, too delicate, and too big for me, otherwise I'd love to have one of them.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Dyscrasia

This looks pretty nice, but I really hope that Sideshow continues their Dinosauria line.

The Gastonia statue looks majestic in person, and if there is something new coming out, then I can't wait for it.

Blade-of-the-Moon

that was a rollercoaster...first i thought " new dinosauria piece! cool!"  then i saw it and said  " crap..well i'll save some money..it's nowhere near a " dinosauria".  then i saw it was a DAMTOYS piece just being carried by Sideshow..so..i'm back to quietly waiting to see if they announce anything next month.

terrorchicken

I was watching a Nova docu last night about oversized animal weapons(horns, tusks,etc) and they talked about smilodon and I swear the cgi cat footage that they used  looked exactly like this!

Loon

Quote from: terrorchicken on November 24, 2017, 08:37:44 PM
I was watching a Nova docu last night about oversized animal weapons(horns, tusks,etc) and they talked about smilodon and I swear the cgi cat footage that they used  looked exactly like this!
I wouldn't be shocked that DAMTOYS based it on a pop culture representation, their rex and diliphosaurus have clear Jurassic Park influences.

Lanthanotus

Quite nice, but shouldn't the claws be retracted until it's in for the kill? After all it wasn't a cheetah but owerwhelmed its victims with weight and strength....

terrorchicken

Quote from: Loon on November 24, 2017, 09:01:29 PM
Quote from: terrorchicken on November 24, 2017, 08:37:44 PM
I wouldn't be shocked that DAMTOYS based it on a pop culture representation, their rex and diliphosaurus have clear Jurassic Park influences.

I found a pic(took me a while)

Mackeral

1:5 scale...nearly as big as a medium-sized Dinosauria model and a prize of 225USD, wow.

Paleodude

Accuracy wise it's a little conservative but nothing looks entirely out of the air of plausibility. The lips are a bit small based on Darren Naish's hypothesis but since we don't know to what extent the lips covered the teeth I don't blame them entirely. Plus a piece like this takes at least a year and was probably near finalized by the time Naish brought up the lip hypothesis. All of that aside it's a beautiful piece to be sure with a not so beautiful price tag.

Reptilia

So these aren't part of the Dinosauria line, right?

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.