News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

DAMTOYS New for 2018

Started by RobinGoodfellow, November 23, 2017, 09:05:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joey

Quote from: Reptilia on December 04, 2017, 05:03:45 AM
So these aren't part of the Dinosauria line, right?
Yes, these are not part of their Dinosauria line, because these busts are DamToys exclusives.

RobinGoodfellow

..if you browse the DamToys website, you can't see any of these products because they are Sideshow's exclusive figures sold on the Sideshow web page only even if they are made by Damtoys..
Probably Sideshow did a joint-venture with Damtoys, I don't know..
Yes, they are not under the Dinosauria line but, if a product is sold by Sideshow on the Sideshow web page, it's a Sideshow new product to my eyes even if it's produced by third party, like a commission..

Loon

Quote from: RobinGoodfellow on December 04, 2017, 07:11:43 AM
..if you browse the DamToys website, you can't see any of these products because they are Sideshow's exclusive figures sold on the Sideshow web page only even if they are made by Damtoys..
Probably Sideshow did a joint-venture with Damtoys, I don't know..
Yes, they are not under the Dinosauria line but, if a product is sold by Sideshow on the Sideshow web page, it's a Sideshow new product to my eyes even if it's produced by third party, like a commission..
I always saw it as Sideshow was a distributor, as they are the main site that sells their products. Hot Toys, for example, are also distributed in the states by sideshow, but they are a very seperate company.

Arioch

Quote from: Paleodude on November 28, 2017, 04:08:14 PM
Accuracy wise it's a little conservative but nothing looks entirely out of the air of plausibility. The lips are a bit small based on Darren Naish's hypothesis but since we don't know to what extent the lips covered the teeth I don't blame them entirely. Plus a piece like this takes at least a year and was probably near finalized by the time Naish brought up the lip hypothesis. All of that aside it's a beautiful piece to be sure with a not so beautiful price tag.

Darren Naish's "bulldog lips" hypothesis is not by any means some kind of accepted standard. Fact based paleontologists like Mark Witton teared it apart some time ago. That goes for most of his 'hypothesis'. The guy dabbles in purposely aesthetically grotesque fantasies mixed up with science and most of his ideas should be taken with a grain of salt, at most. I still enjoy reading his stuff tho

paintingdinos

Quote from: Arioch on December 14, 2017, 09:42:29 PM
Accuracy wise it's a little conservative but nothing looks entirely out of the air of plausibility. The lips are a bit small based on Darren Naish's hypothesis but since we don't know to what extent the lips covered the teeth I don't blame them entirely. Plus a piece like this takes at least a year and was probably near finalized by the time Naish brought up the lip hypothesis. All of that aside it's a beautiful piece to be sure with a not so beautiful price tag.

Darren Naish's "bulldog lips" hypothesis is not by any means some kind of accepted standard. Fact based paleontologists like Mark Witton teared it apart some time ago. That goes for most of his 'hypothesis'. The guy dabbles in purposely aesthetically grotesque fantasies mixed up with science and most of his ideas should be taken with a grain of salt, at most. I still enjoy reading his stuff tho

Are you thinking of Duane Nash? Or did Darren Naish also make speculation about lip coverage for saber-toothed cats?

Arioch

Quote from: paintingdinos on December 15, 2017, 02:25:15 AM
Quote from: Arioch on December 14, 2017, 09:42:29 PM

Are you thinking of Duane Nash? Or did Darren Naish also make speculation about lip coverage for saber-toothed cats?

Oh geez. Yeah I was thinking of Duane Nash and his once famous theory: http://antediluviansalad.blogspot.com.es/2016/05/yeah-i-said-it-every-sabertooth-image.html

For some reason my eyes totally misread the name. I don't remember Darren Naish saying anything significant about it tho? I'd appreciate it if someone linked it otherwise. As far as I know, Duane's blog is the origin of this full lipped sabertooth controversy anyway.

sauroid

"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Takama

Mackeral

Thanks for the link Takama, the best statues by them are the Smilodon and mabye the Styracoaurus bust for me: https://www.sideshowtoy.com/collectibles/?manufacturer=damtoys.
Too bad that Smilodon is like what, scale 1:5? Doens't line up well with my 1:15-1:20 kits, altough it's pretty much the same size. But what a great model and price too!

Dyscrasia

A Carnotaurus bust is revealed.

Source: http://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/general-collectibles-statues-props-etc-/186121-damtoys-museum-series-carnotaurus-male-bust-collectible-statue.html

Product no.: NO. MUS005 A/B
Product type: Museum Collection Series
Carnotaurus Bust overall dimension (incl. base): W 125mm H 240mm D 225mm
Gross weight: 1.5kg
Barcode:6970569621852
Material used: Polystone

Patrx

Oh, yikes! It's kind of scary  ;D

sauroid

that's one lovely Carnotaurus bust. (would have looked better if full figure)
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Faelrin

I'm getting V. rex vibes from it. A little too shrink wrapped for me, but then again I can't afford these kinds of things anyways. I do like that the skull is properly thin though.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Blade-of-the-Moon

Man I really don't need any more Carnotaurus..though it does look cool.  Isn't the skin wrong?  It is one of the dinosaurs we have skin impressions from and I've never seen it look like that.

Reptilia

That's beautiful! It has Papo vibes, like if Papo made their Carnotaurus the size of their Baryonyx or Acrocanthosaurus, I think it would have displayed such a level of detail.

Dobber

I'm generally not into mammals, but I LOVE that Smilodon.

Chris
My customized CollectA feathered T-Rex
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=4326.0

Joey

I like the bust, not too keen on the 'over-awesomebroification' but still looks nice.
Also am I the only one getting JWTFK trailer vibes from it?

Shonisaurus

What was said by other members of the forum, carnotaurus would be more spectacular if it were represented in full body and not only by means of a bust, magnificent.  8)

Halichoeres

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on January 17, 2018, 07:29:28 PM
Man I really don't need any more Carnotaurus..though it does look cool.  Isn't the skin wrong?  It is one of the dinosaurs we have skin impressions from and I've never seen it look like that.

Yeah, the scales don't really resemble what's known.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

spinosaurus1

would someone mind posting the picture of the carotaurus here? i can't see the picture in the link

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.