News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Wichita Museum of World Treasures Visit

Started by amargasaurus cazaui, July 18, 2012, 06:46:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

amargasaurus cazaui

My visit to the Museum of World Treasures in Wichita ,
Kansas.  I went to get some pictures of Ivan the T-rex and the visiting Tylosaurus mount but also had one other thing on my agenda. A few years back I had visited the place and remembered they had a mounted Psittacosaurus, so I wished to visit and compare that one with my own. Find my remarks and photos on that under the Psittacosaurus thread.

This is the Tylosaurus named Logan, found in 2008 in western Kansas. They displayed him here as about 75
percent reconstructed, and then left the back quarter scattered about in a matrix like display to show how the fossil was found, and also display a little about how it is excavated and so forth.

The star of the show, Ivan. This is his original skeleton material, and he was recovered around 65 percent complete. Massive dinosaur !! When I visited him the first time they had not made his gastralia piece , so it was nice seeing that in place finally.

Thescelosaurus

I am a big fan of their rule about unattended kids !!!

Had to have at least one extant right?

Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

DinoToyForum

Thanks for sharing! Wonderful mounts. I do like the idea of showing the mounted skeleton of Tyosaurus 'emerging' from the matrix.

Are my eyes deceiving me, or is that a second mosasaur skeleton I see in the background?

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: dinotoyforum on July 18, 2012, 09:22:52 AM
Thanks for sharing! Wonderful mounts. I do like the idea of showing the mounted skeleton of Tyosaurus 'emerging' from the matrix.

Are my eyes deceiving me, or is that a second mosasaur skeleton I see in the background?
I am unsure which picture you are referring to but there was only one Mosasaur I saw. However, he is LONG.....44 feet long and curls around the square he is displayed in. There is also a cast of another skull in the pictures. Aside from that the massive fish, and its cast are also displayed. I forget the technical word for the fish..xphinctus or something similar. Send me to the picture you are referring to and I will explain what you are seeing.
BTW, the mosasaur that is displayed is relatively new, found in 2008 and given the name Logan.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

DinoToyForum

Above the head, in this photo. Maybe it is a graphic?

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: dinotoyforum on July 18, 2012, 09:50:04 AM
Above the head, in this photo. Maybe it is a graphic?

I am at odds to explain what that it is. I know the views looking down from above show nothing like that. The upright white stone with graffiti in the picture is a section of the original Berlin wall . I believe there are glass or mirror panels running sideways along the wall piece, causing a reflection. That is the only answer I can offer. I do know when you look at the views from above of the dinosaur skeletons, the triceratops head is directly in front of the area where the mosasaur is displayed. That is to say the mosasaur is located at the very tip of the massive T rex tail, if that helps.

DinoToyForum

How mysterious. I have a different explanation - a ghost Tylosaurus!  :o

amargasaurus cazaui

I think it almost has to be a reflection or trick of the light because in this picture you cannot see it , and the shot is from almost the same exact spot. I will keep looking at the pictures and see if I can clear it up, but I definitely only remember one large marine reptile at the hall. If I missed one, I will go back and get him though.

In this picture taken from the opposite end and above, you can see the wall section and no mosasaur anywhere near it. That makes me think the other angle has a reflection in it.

Blade-of-the-Moon

amargasaurus cazaui

The smaller Tyrannosaur mount is a Dasplateosaurus, and yes I agree, they are nice mounts. I was amazed at them and surprised how poor the Psittacosaurus they had was compared eeeep. Btw, for anyone that wants any of the original shots from this posting, let me know what ones and an email and I would share them if it is only a few and easy to email for you.Be glad to send those T rex pictures if you want them Blade.

stemturtle

Enjoyed your photos of the Museum of World Treasures, amargasaurus.  Can you ID the fossil in the photo posted below Captorhinus?  I wonder if it is Eunotosaurus.  Looks like a turtle, but is actually a parareptile.  Thanks.

Mural at New Mexico Museum of Natural History and Science (Click image)

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: stemturtle on July 18, 2012, 01:35:32 PM
Enjoyed your photos of the Museum of World Treasures, amargasaurus.  Can you ID the fossil in the photo posted below Captorhinus?  I wonder if it is Eunotosaurus.  Looks like a turtle, but is actually a parareptile.  Thanks.

How careless of me to miss the nametag for that piece. It was specified as a kind of turtle, and was displayed with a keichosaurus, and the Jeholosaurus. If I remember right, and I may be incorrect the tag specified an age for the piece given at 40 million years ago.Unsure how I missed its tag when I remembered nearly everything else's

stemturtle

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on July 18, 2012, 06:10:00 PM
How careless of me to miss the nametag for that piece. It was specified as a kind of turtle, and was displayed with a keichosaurus, and the Jeholosaurus. If I remember right, and I may be incorrect the tag specified an age for the piece given at 40 million years ago.Unsure how I missed its tag when I remembered nearly everything else's

I appreciate your reply, A. cazaui.  So my wish for Eunotosaurus is off by some 230 MY.  That would explain why the surface ornamentation detail is in such nice condition for a supposed Permian age fossil.

Mural at New Mexico Museum of Natural History and Science (Click image)

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: stemturtle on July 18, 2012, 07:29:21 PM
Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on July 18, 2012, 06:10:00 PM

I appreciate your reply, A. cazaui.  So my wish for Eunotosaurus is off by some 230 MY.  That would explain why the surface ornamentation detail is in such nice condition for a supposed Permian age fossil.
Logical, although from appearances I do not think that turtle would suffer badly from cleaning and prep work done . It looks like a very nice specimen but needs a touch up for sure.

ZoPteryx

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on July 18, 2012, 10:24:22 AM
I think it almost has to be a reflection or trick of the light because in this picture you cannot see it , and the shot is from almost the same exact spot. I will keep looking at the pictures and see if I can clear it up, but I definitely only remember one large marine reptile at the hall. If I missed one, I will go back and get him though.

In this picture taken from the opposite end and above, you can see the wall section and no mosasaur anywhere near it. That makes me think the other angle has a reflection in it.

I spy the mosasaur!  It's between the light bar and the pillar, but below the second floor. ^-^

Great photos Amargasaurus! This is a really neat place! :))

Takama

Them ladies are in danger, someone save them.

to the rescue

DinoToyForum

Hmm, I think I see what you're looking at - you mean under the Pteranodon's legs?

Takama

ZoPteryx

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.