News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Top 10 2017 dinosaur models [poll]

Started by DinoToyForum, December 03, 2017, 06:52:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What are your top 10 2017 models?

Bullyland Archaeopteryx (2017 version)
1 (0.7%)
Bullyland Triceratops (2017 version)
1 (0.7%)
CollectA Dimorphodon (supreme)
52 (38.2%)
CollectA Basilosaurus
10 (7.4%)
CollectA Kronosaurus
21 (15.4%)
CollectA Uintatherium
24 (17.6%)
CollectA Styracosaurus (deluxe)
35 (25.7%)
CollectA Deinocheirus (deluxe)
16 (11.8%)
CollectA Einiosaurus
21 (15.4%)
CollectA Excalibosaurus
4 (2.9%)
CollectA Gigantspinosaurus
13 (9.6%)
CollectA Regaliceratops
13 (9.6%)
CollectA Pliosaurus (marine tube mini)
1 (0.7%)
CollectA Dunkleosteus (marine tube mini)
1 (0.7%)
CollectA Leedsichthys (marine tube mini)
8 (5.9%)
CollectA Archelon (marine tube mini)
2 (1.5%)
CollectA Temnodontosaurus (marine tube mini)
1 (0.7%)
CollectA Xiphactinus (marine tube mini)
11 (8.1%)
CollectA Cameroceras (marine tube mini)
2 (1.5%)
CollectA Baculites (marine tube mini)
2 (1.5%)
CollectA Parapuzosia (marine tube mini)
2 (1.5%)
CollectA trilobite (marine tube mini)
2 (1.5%)
CollectA Australiceras (marine tube mini)
1 (0.7%)
CollectA Diplomoceras (marine tube mini)
1 (0.7%)
Eofauna Steppe mammoth
43 (31.6%)
Dinostar Tapejara
11 (8.1%)
Dinostar Psittacosaurus
4 (2.9%)
Dinostar Smilodon
0 (0%)
Favorite Spinosaurus (2017 version)
21 (15.4%)
Favorite Archaeopteryx
13 (9.6%)
Itoy 'Dilophosaurus' sinensis
5 (3.7%)
Mojo Fun Allosaurus
7 (5.1%)
Mojo Fun Tyrannosaurus (hunting 2017 version)
3 (2.2%)
Mojo Fun Tyrannosaurus (small 2017 version)
0 (0%)
Papo Polacanthus
6 (4.4%)
Papo Cryolophosaurus
40 (29.4%)
Papo Dimorphodon
12 (8.8%)
Papo Acrocanthosaurus
35 (25.7%)
Papo Ceratosaurus
69 (50.7%)
Papo Velociraptor (2017 repaint)
2 (1.5%)
Papo Oviraptor (2017 repaint)
2 (1.5%)
Papo cave bear
6 (4.4%)
Papo Smilodon (2017 version)
3 (2.2%)
PNSO little Gigantoraptor
1 (0.7%)
PNSO little Huayangosaurus
4 (2.9%)
PNSO little Mamenchisaurus
1 (0.7%)
PNSO little Microraptor
3 (2.2%)
PNSO little Sinosauropteryx
1 (0.7%)
PNSO little Tsintaosaurus
2 (1.5%)
PNSO little Yangchuanosaurus
3 (2.2%)
PNSO Age of the Dinosaurs Mamenchisaurus
25 (18.4%)
PNSO Triceratops "Doyle"
24 (17.6%)
PNSO Tyrannosaurus "Wilson"
25 (18.4%)
Rebor Carnotaurus "Crimson King"
12 (8.8%)
Rebor Velociraptor "Pete"
3 (2.2%)
Rebor Velociraptor "Spring Heeled Jack"
3 (2.2%)
Rebor Velociraptor "Alex"
3 (2.2%)
Rebor Deinonychus pack
8 (5.9%)
Rebor Stegosaurus hatchling "Clover"
5 (3.7%)
Safari Ltd Parasaurolophus (2017 version)
11 (8.1%)
Safari Ltd Microraptor (2017 version)
15 (11%)
Safari Ltd Coelophysis
42 (30.9%)
Safari Ltd Quetzalcoatlus (2017 version)
9 (6.6%)
Safari Ltd Kronosaurus (2017 version)
21 (15.4%)
Safari Ltd Tylosaurus (2017 version)
11 (8.1%)
Safari Ltd Psittacosaurus (2017 version)
33 (24.3%)
Safari Ltd Velociraptor (feathered, 2017 version)
58 (42.6%)
Safari Ltd Giganotosaurus (2017 version)
49 (36%)
Safari Ltd Tyrannosaurus rex (feathered, 2017 version)
76 (55.9%)
Safari Ltd Einiosaurus
26 (19.1%)
Safari Ltd Deinocheirus
38 (27.9%)
Safari Ltd Diplodocus (2017 version)
37 (27.2%)
Schleich Acrocanthosaurus
1 (0.7%)
Schleich Kentrosaurus
6 (4.4%)
Schleich Utahraptor
2 (1.5%)
Schleich Stegosaurus
8 (5.9%)
Schleich Allosaurus
1 (0.7%)
Schleich Brachiosaurus
2 (1.5%)

Total Members Voted: 136

SidB

Agreed. Year-by-year the Safari team has become the foremost designer and producer of accurate and financially accessible dinosaurs and Cenozoic mammals, though CollectA is proving to be worthy opponent in terms of variety and creativity. It seems that cutting the cord with the Carnegie Museum has done Safari nothing but good. I have the entire collection of Forest Rogers' Carnegie Safari sculpts, which I admire, but feel that the Carnegie connection cramped her capabilities.

Another great year for dinosaur collectors.

Sim

I'm late commenting on this.  I enjoyed the Top 10 2017 prehistoric figures video!  That music works really well for it.  I'm very happy the Safari Coelophysis is in the top five, and the Safari Velociraptor is in the top three!  These two were by far the 2017 figures I liked most.

After seeing the figures in person, I was surprised by how amazing the detail is on the 2017 Safari Velociraptor and Coelophysis.  The detail of their feathers is very impressive, especially on the Velociraptor as its feathers are complex.  I'm amazed a human created the feather detail of these two figures.  Another thing that impresses me is that these two figures look alive.

I had thought I might be bothered by how visible the scales on the snouts of these figures are, but after seeing these figures in person I'm not.  The scales on their snouts are not as conspicuous as I thought they would be, especially on the Coelophysis.  I also have no problem with the lack of lips on any Safari theropod, I understand the extent lips were present among dinosaurs is still an open discussion.

I had initially thought I would've preferred the Coelophysis to be without feathers, but I no longer have a preference on this.  I think currently there's an equal chance Coelophysis was covered in feathers or scales, and the feathering on the Safari version looks very plausible for Coelophysis.  An interesting thing about the Safari Coelophysis is that after I received it, when I look at this figure it doesn't make me think, "Did Coelophysis have feathers?"  Instead, this figure's feathering looks natural, and it's an extremely pleasing representation of Coelophysis that captures the distinctive character of this animal.

The 2017 Safari Velociraptor's tail is really impressive and good!
Dromaeosaurids have often been restored with the rectrices only at the end of their tails, an arrangement found in Microraptor.  However, as more feathered dinosaur species preserving the rectrices have been found, it's been observed that the widespread condition among species is having the rectrices along most/all of the tail, like in Archaeopteryx.  At this point, I have a feeling that in terrestrial dromaeosaurids (so excluding volant/semiaquatic dromaeosaurids) having rectrices along most/all of the tail was probably widespread.  The only dromaeosaurid of this kind that has rectrices preserved is Zhenyuanlong and it does indeed have the rectrices starting around the base of the tail.
For Velociraptor, I think a rectrices arrangement similar to Zhenyuanlong and Archaeopteryx is most likely, considering 1. Zhenyuanlong is a similar size to Velociraptor, and 2. Velociraptor's lifestyle.  The fact that the 2017 Safari Velociraptor has this kind of tail feathering shows very good judgment by the sculptor.  And it's a contrast to the many dromaeosaurid reconstructions with rectrices limited to the end of the tail, which is correct for Microraptor, but not necessarily likely for other dromaeosaurids especially the non-microraptorines.
I find the rectrices being limited to the end of the tail looks great on microraptorines.  For other dromaeosaurids though, I generally find having rectrices along most/all of the tail looks better and more impressive, and the 2017 Safari Velociraptor shows how great this looks on Velociraptor.
The 2017 Safari Velociraptor is also finally a toy of a dromaeosaurid not named Microraptor that has the forelimbs properly reconstructed as wings, with wing feathers attaching to the fingers!  It's an awe-inspiring figure!

I'm very happy to have these figures of Velociraptor and Coelophysis.  I'd been wanting great toy representations of these two animals.  They both look even better in person.  Wild Safari has now become my favourite prehistoric animal toy line.  I'm also happy children and people older than that can enjoy these great toys of Velociraptor and Coelophysis.

SidB

A comment, Sim, on your last observation. It's a positive thing that the price point on these animals is such that they are quite affordable and therefore candidates for the kids as well as collectors. For too long poor research, sloppy workmanship and indifferent design have been excused and even fobbed off on the public as "suitable for children" by companies claiming that their offering had "educational value." I think that we all know  to whom this refers, some much more culpable than others. We should continue to applaud and support quality wherever and whenever we find it.

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.