News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Mojo Fun: New for 2018

Started by sauroid, December 09, 2017, 03:29:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tanystropheus

Quote from: Sim on December 10, 2017, 01:51:40 AM
Oh wow!  I definitely wasn't expecting this from Mojo!

In any case, I see a big improvement in Mojo's dinosaurs.  It also seems clear to me that with the Baryonyx, Deinonychus and Giganotosaurus, Mojo has done a decent job with trying to get the skull shapes right which is commendable, there's been quite a number of Baryonyx toys with inaccurate heads, and for Deinonychus and Giganotosaurus it's not very hard to be misled by inaccurate/unlikely skull reconstructions for these animals.

There are some clear purposeful changes in the direction of Mojo's models. I wonder if they have a consultant on board. When they first started, their T-rex was pointed out to them for the monstrosity that it was. The Mojo representative must have felt embarrassed as he seemed to have left DTF shortly after. Despite the inadequacies being pointed out to Mojo, the following few generations of Mojo T-rexes were not rectified.

RobinGoodfellow

..maybe it's not perfect but the 2018 Mojo Baryonyx is the best figure on toy market about the animal..

Do you remember what's on the market now ? :

..just a quick remainder..

tanystropheus

hmmm...it probably needs a professional paint job.

After evaluating the pictures, I would say that you are right. It should probably stay that way unless WS or Vitae attempts one. Also, considering its presence in JP, I wouldn't be surprised if REBOR attempts a Baryonyx, which could be a hit or miss.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: RobinGoodfellow on December 10, 2017, 08:44:55 AM
..maybe it's not perfect but the 2018 Mojo Baryonyx is the best figure on toy market about the animal..

Do you remember what's on the market now ? :

*snip*

..just a quick remainder..

Yeah, I don't like any of those Baryonyx and wouldn't buy them. The Papo one comes closest, but still misses the mark in terms of accuracy.

I agree with tany, Mojonyx could do with a new paintjob. The blue colour is awful and cartoonish. But even then, I do not care for the overly visible fenestrae and slender legs and tail.

The ultimate Bary has yet to be made imo. I am picky. I guess if everyone's preferences were like mine, no dinosaur toy would ever sell :-X

Shonisaurus

Well honestly I had not noticed the baryonyx made by other companies compared to Mojo. It is a mandatory figure the baryonyx for every collector, honestly.

Although perhaps the two figures that I like most of this company this year is the deinonychus (for me the best of theropods they have done) and the giganotosaurus that is for me superior to the company Schleich and inferior to that of Safari.  8)

The diplodocus is for me the weakest figure in the group. Honestly I see superior as I have previously commented his counterpart of Mojo brachiosaurus, is not a convincing figure.

My favorites are deinonychus and giganotosaurus. If the giganotosaurus is greater than the tyrannosaurus rex of the same company, Mojo is a figure within it that is quite large and apart from that a voluminous figure is seen.

Undoubtedly all toy dinosaur companies "have put the batteries." It is great news.  ^-^

sauroid

Quote from: dinotoyforum on December 09, 2017, 06:28:53 PM
OP update with pictures please!  O:-)  :)
updated.   :)
(sorry been away from the forum for the past 24 hours  :'( )
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Lanthanotus

I like what I see, especially the Diplodocus. Sure a bit lean and the head may be a bit on the large side, but it could go for a juvenile, no? And those front feet can easily be helped.

Halichoeres

Quote from: tyrantqueen on December 10, 2017, 09:33:24 AM

The ultimate Bary has yet to be made imo. I am picky. I guess if everyone's preferences were like mine, no dinosaur toy would ever sell :-X

If everyone were picky about their dinosaurs, I think companies would make better dinosaurs.

Anyway, this is a refreshing change for Mojo. I'm tempted by the Baryonyx, although I am pretty happy with the versions of the other three that I have now.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Sim

I compared the Mojo Baryonyx to a number of references, including Scott Hartman's Baryonyx skeletal, and the Mojo figure's skeletal proportions actually look really good!  The figure's tail appears to be the same length as in the Baryonyx skeletals by Scott Hartman and Jaime Headden, its tail definitely does not appear to be too long.  The figure's feet actually look alright, they don't look clearly oversized to me (in contrast the Mojo Giganotosaurus's feet do look oversized to me).  The area of the Mojo Baryonyx near where the legs join the body could be a bit too shallow, but perhaps it could just be the angle, we'll see when the figure is released.

Some of the skull openings are a bit visible on the Mojo Baryonyx, but they aren't conspicuous enough to bother me, unlike in the Mojo Deinonychus where they are more visible and do bother me.  I don't have a problem with the amount of leg muscle on the Mojo Baryonyx, it looks like the same amount as what some of CollectA's theropods have, e.g. the Lythronax and Torvosaurus.

Since people have expressed their opinions on how these new Mojo prehistoric figures compare to the prehistoric figures of other companies, I'll give my opinion too:

These new Mojo figures are much better than almost all of Schleich's figures.  In terms of how good a figure is, I think it's very similar between these new Mojos and the few best Schleich figures.  The Mojo Baryonyx though seems better than the other three new Mojo figures and possibly better than all of Schleich's figures.  I don't see the Mojo Baryonyx being worse than any of Schleich's figures at least.

The Mojo Diplodocus, Giganotosaurus and Deinonychus seem to be on the same level as some of the not very good figures by CollectA and Safari.  The Mojo Deinonychus looks like a somewhat better attempt at a dromaeosaurid figure than CollectA's dromaeosaurid figures, and a much better attempt than Schleich's awful dromaeosaurid figures.

Quite a number of times now in CollectA's theropods there's been very strong shrink-wrapping on the heads sometimes with the skin over/around skull openings having a different texture to the surrounding skin (Schleich has done this too), oversized hips/toe claws, being on tiptoes, and some other dubious anatomy.  I'm not saying they are bad figures, just in most cases I don't find CollectA's theropods to be great reconstructions.  To me, the Mojo Baryonyx seems to be a better figure than most of CollectA's theropods.  I think the Mojo Baryonyx is a good figure, comparable to the best CollectA theropods.

Compared to Safari figures, I think the Mojo Baryonyx is better than even some recent Safari figures, comparable to some good Safari figures, but not quite as good as the best Safari figures.

For the figures that aren't released yet, this is all based on the pre-release images though, so they can only be properly assessed once they are released.

bmathison1972

Not being a collector of actual dinosaur figures, I have to ask a question from a trend I am seeing in 2018 releases. Are dinosaur figures/toys getting bigger? The Baryonyx and Giganotosaurus here are both over 30 cm, well larger than traditional Safari WS and, for the species, Carnegie, models. Also, many of the CollectA models this year seemed to be in their Deluxe range. Are you guys seeing this trend? Just curious, from an outsider looking in.

Sim

The Mojo Baryonyx isn't over 30 cm, but the Deinonychus is.  Lengths from Everything Dinosaur's blog post: https://blog.everythingdinosaur.co.uk/blog/_archives/2017/12/09/mojo-fun-new-dinosaur-models-for-2018.html

For some years now, the only dinosaur figures I've acquired have been Battat figures and this year a few Wild Safari figures.  Therefore I only have a rough idea of the sizes of many dinosaur figures that have been released.  Though, the Mojo Giganotosaurus seems to be roughly the same size as the Carnegie and Wild Safari Giganotosaurus figures, all three of these are over 30 cm long.

Jose S.M.

I can speak for Safari and CollectA that's what make most of my collection. Safari went to bigger scale for three figures in my opinion in 2017: Tyrannosaurus, Giganotosaurus and Kronosaurus. I don't consider the Diplodocus to be oversized since sauropod toys tendency to be bigger. And this year there are a Triceratops and Ankylosaurus in the same scale of the Tyrannosaurus so they are bigger the usual for those species  in the mass market. But it's not that  much of oversize since the scale is not far from the sometimes  preferred 1:40. And the other figures are in a wide variety of scales from 1:9 to 1:50 or so.
Collecta goes to more extreme oversizing with the Supreme range pterosaurs, the huge Styracosaurus and others, they also have very inconsistent scaling for the normal range. But it's true that  most of the 2018 new releases are deluxes, only like 3 figured are standard range.

sauroid

are the deluxe figures suppose to be in 1:40 scale? or just oversized/larger than the regular line? (this applies to both Safari and CollectA)
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Jose S.M.

Quote from: sauroid on December 11, 2017, 05:39:30 PM
are the deluxe figures suppose to be in 1:40 scale? or just oversized/larger than the regular line? (this applies to both Safari and CollectA)

Safari doesn't call them deluxe, just made  some figures in 1:35. Collecta has now a 1:40 range and a deluxe range, this includes figures like Styracosaurus and what we use to call Supreme figures, that's what I understand. This year Iguanodon and Cerarosaurus are supposed to be in the 1:40 range but Cerato doesn't quite fit.

bmathison1972

Quote from: Sim on December 11, 2017, 05:08:50 PM
The Mojo Baryonyx isn't over 30 cm, but the Deinonychus is.  Lengths from Everything Dinosaur's blog post: https://blog.everythingdinosaur.co.uk/blog/_archives/2017/12/09/mojo-fun-new-dinosaur-models-for-2018.html

yes, sorry, I remember two of them being over 30. And with regards to bigger figures, I do not take sauropods into account since they are the longest dinos :).

I was just curious if these larger figures represented a new trend or they were made large for certain reason and it may not be an annual thing.

Bokisaurus

Bary looks good, only one I will maybe pick up.

Sim

Just a few things I'd like to add:

It seems to me it's far from rare that figures CollectA has said are "Deluxe 1:40" are actually larger scale.  A weird example of this can be found among these 2018 CollectA figures: https://blog.everythingdinosaur.co.uk/blog/_archives/2017/11/24/new-collecta-models-2018-part-4-of-4.html  The Tyrannosaurus is said to be a Deluxe 1:40 scale figure, while the Mapusaurus is just referred to as a Deluxe figure.  But going by the given measurements, it's actually the Mapusaurus that's relatively close to 1:40 scale, the Tyrannosaurus is around 1:35 scale.

Quote from: bmathison1972 on December 11, 2017, 06:28:12 PM
And with regards to bigger figures, I do not take sauropods into account since they are the longest dinos :).

Sauropods aren't always the longest dinosaurs.  For example, Amargasaurus is estimated to be 9-10 m long, making it considerably smaller and shorter than Tyrannosaurus and Giganotosaurus.  So I think the 2018 Wild Safari Amargasaurus is oversized, it's over 40 cm long, quite a bit larger than the 2017 Wild Safari Tyrannosaurus and Giganotosaurus!  It's also much larger than the Amargasaurus figures from the Carnegie Collection and Battat.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Sim on December 11, 2017, 08:06:34 PM

It seems to me it's far from rare that figures CollectA has said are "Deluxe 1:40" are actually larger scale.  A weird example of this can be found among these 2018 CollectA figures: https://blog.everythingdinosaur.co.uk/blog/_archives/2017/11/24/new-collecta-models-2018-part-4-of-4.html  The Tyrannosaurus is said to be a Deluxe 1:40 scale figure, while the Mapusaurus is just referred to as a Deluxe figure.  But going by the given measurements, it's actually the Mapusaurus that's relatively close to 1:40 scale, the Tyrannosaurus is around 1:35 scale.

I'd go farther than that and say that CollectA's standard/popular figures are much likelier to be in 1:40 than their deluxe figures.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Shonisaurus

Quote from: Sim on December 11, 2017, 08:06:34 PM

Quote from: bmathison1972 on December 11, 2017, 06:28:12 PM
And with regards to bigger figures, I do not take sauropods into account since they are the longest dinos :).

Sauropods aren't always the longest dinosaurs.  For example, Amargasaurus is estimated to be 9-10 m long, making it considerably smaller and shorter than Tyrannosaurus and Giganotosaurus.  So I think the 2018 Wild Safari Amargasaurus is oversized, it's over 40 cm long, quite a bit larger than the 2017 Wild Safari Tyrannosaurus and Giganotosaurus!  It's also much larger than the Amargasaurus figures from the Carnegie Collection and Battat.

Honestly as I have already indicated, I like that also the small or medium-small dinosaurs like the amargasaurus Safari or the deinonychus of Mojo are not made to scale.

The bigger a figure is normally, if it is well made, it is usually more detailed, although more expensive. The smaller a dinosaur or prehistoric animal figure is, the more pixilated (metaphorically speaking) the figure will appear, that is, less detailed. From my point of view.

That does not mean that there are small figures of dinosaurs are much better than many large, examples we have in Kaiyodo Dinotales to give an example.

But honestly I do not worry about the scales that make the figures and toys of dinosaurs disproportionate or smaller. For me the big thing is in a certain way beautiful, like the rhinos, hippos or elephants to give three examples.

The important thing is that they are well made and are highly elaborated and finished figures.  ;)

MLMjp

I though I would never talk about mojo figures because I never found any appeal in them. But here I am, having something good to say. Let´s get stuff out of the way saying that the Diplodocus looks as uninspiring as the usual mojo figures are.

Giganotosaurus head is accurate to modern reconstructions and would be ok if it wasn´t for those legs.

If that Deinonychus had the correct ammount of feathers, It would be a great Deinonychus.

And last but certainly not least... Baryonyx! I really like it! The blue color is not my favorite but I can get over it. It is weird to say, but it seems that Mojo might have made the best Baryonyx figure to date.
I look foward to se in-hand pictures of this guy.

Also, Is it me? Or the Baryonyx and Deinonychus have a much better sculpt than Giganotosaurus and Diplodocus?

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.