News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Top 10 Prehistoric Animal Toys of 2018 - suggestion phase

Started by PumperKrickel, November 07, 2019, 10:36:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PumperKrickel

It´s finally here. The long awaited poll for the best prehistoric animal figure of 2018 has finally started. Perhaps there has never been a year with such a wide selection of credible contenders for the crown, so I imagine ya´ll are already really eager to vote for your favourites.

Before we get to voting, however, there will be a short suggestion phase where you have the option of adding figures to the poll that I´ve forgotten to include. When that phase is over, the poll will be added to this thread. So, let´s get started, shall we?

Beasts of the Mesozoic - Raptor series Acheroraptor temertyorum
Beasts of the Mesozoic - Raptor series Adasaurus mongoliensis
Beasts of the Mesozoic - Raptor series Atrociraptor marshalli
Beasts of the Mesozoic - Raptor series Balaur bondoc
Beasts of the Mesozoic - Raptor series Buitreraptor (Wetlands Accessory Pack)
Beasts of the Mesozoic - Raptor series Dromaeosaurus albertensis
Beasts of the Mesozoic - Raptor series Dromaeosaurus albertensis (Fan´s choice)
Beasts of the Mesozoic - Raptor series Linheraptor exquisitus
Beasts of the Mesozoic - Raptor series Microraptor (Forest Accessory Pack)
Beasts of the Mesozoic - Raptor series Mononykus (Desert Accessory Pack)
Beasts of the Mesozoic - Raptor series Nestlings (Amber)
Beasts of the Mesozoic - Raptor series Nestlings (Black)
Beasts of the Mesozoic - Raptor series Nestlings (Grey)
Beasts of the Mesozoic - Raptor series Nestlings (White)
Beasts of the Mesozoic - Raptor series Pyroraptor olympus
Beasts of the Mesozoic - Raptor series Pyroraptor olympus (Fan´s choice)
Beasts of the Mesozoic - Raptor series Saurornitholestes langstoni
Beasts of the Mesozoic - Raptor series Saurornitholestes langstoni (Fan´s choice)
Beasts of the Mesozoic - Raptor series Saurornitholestes sullivani
Beasts of the Mesozoic - Raptor series Tsaagan mangas
Beasts of the Mesozoic - Raptor series Troodon (Mountains Accessory Pack)
Beasts of the Mesozoic - Raptor series Velociraptor mongoliensis
Beasts of the Mesozoic - Raptor series Velociraptor osmolskae
Beasts of the Mesozoic - Raptor series Zhenyuanlong suni
Beasts of the Mesozoic - Raptor series Zhenyuanlong suni (Fan´s choice)

Collecta Brontosaurus
Collecta Ceratosaurus
Collecta Dimetrodon
Collecta Dunkleosteus
Collecta Estemmenosuchus
Collecta Gomphotherium
Collecta Iguanodon
Collecta Mantellisaurus
Collecta Mapusaurus
Collecta Sciurumimus
Collecta Tyrannosaurus

Colorata Acutiramus
Colorata Anomalocaris
Colorata Cameroceras
Colorata Cephalaspis
Colorata Dunkleosteus
Colorata Olenoides

Eofauna Paleoxodon

Favorite Baryonyx
Favorite Fukuiraptor
Favorite Fukuisaurus
Favorite Fukuititan
Favorite Koshisaurus
Favorite Neovenator

Mattel Action Attack Carnotaurus
Mattel Action Attack Stegosaurus
Mattel Action Attack Suchomimus
Mattel Attack Pack Blue
Mattel Attack Pack Dilophosaurus
Mattel Attack Pack Dimorphodon (dark-green)
Mattel Attack Pack Dimorphodon (grey)
Mattel Attack Pack Gallimimus
Mattel Attack Pack Herrerasaurus
Mattel Attack Pack Minmi
Mattel Attack Pack Proceratosaurus
Mattel Attack Pack Protoceratops
Mattel Attack Pack Stygimoloch
Mattel Attack Pack Velociraptor (green)
Mattel Attack Pack Velociraptor (orange)
Mattel Basic Dino Value 12 inch Blue
Mattel Basic Dino Value 12 inch Dilophosaurus
Mattel Basic Dino Value 12 inch Indoraptor
Mattel Basic Dino Value 12 inch Pachycephalosaurus
Mattel Basic Dino Value 12 inch Velociraptor
Mattel Battle Damage Blue
Mattel Battle Damage Herrerasaurus
Mattel Battle Damage Gallimimus
Mattel Battle Damage Monolophosaurus
Mattel Battle Damage Pachycephalosaurus
Mattel Battle Damage Pteranodon
Mattel Battle Damage Roaring Colossal T-Rex
Mattel Battle Damage Stygimoloch
Mattel Battle Damage Triceratops
Mattel Battle Damage T-Rex
Mattel Battle Damage Velociraptor
Mattel Destruct-a-Saurs Compsognathus
Mattel Destruct-a-Saurs Dilophosaurus
Mattel Destruct-a-Saurs Microceratus
Mattel Destruct-a-Saurs Pteranodon
Mattel Destruct-a-Saurs Velociraptor
Mattel Grab 'n Growl Indoraptor
Mattel Indoraptor
Mattel Legacy Collection Extreme Chompin' Spinosaurus
Mattel Legacy Collection Extreme Chompin' T-Rex
Mattel Legacy Collection JP Gallimimus
Mattel Legacy Collection JP3 Pteranodon
Mattel Legacy Collection Pteranodon
Mattel Legacy Collection TLW Pachycephalosaurus
Mattel Legacy Collection TLW Velociraptor
Mattel Legacy Collection TLW Young T-Rex
Mattel Mosasaurus
Mattel Roarivores Allosaurus
Mattel Roarivores Ankylosaurus
Mattel Roarivores Baryonyx
Mattel Roarivores Ceratosaurus
Mattel Roarivores Metriacanthosaurus
Mattel Roarivores Pteranodon
Mattel Roarivores Sinoceratops
Mattel Roarivores Triceratops
Mattel STEM Anatomy Kit T-Rex
Mattel STEM Fossil Strikers Pteranodon
Mattel STEM Fossil Strikers Stygimoloch
Mattel STEM Fossil Strikers Triceratops
Mattel STEM Fossil Strikers Velociraptor
Mattel STEM Playleontology Kit Tyrannosaurus Rex
Mattel Super Colossal T-Rex
Mattel Thrash 'n Throw T-Rex

Mojo Fun Baryonyx
Mojo Fun Deinonychus
Mojo Fun Diplodocus
Mojo Fun Giganotosaurus

Papo Acrocanthosaurus (repaint)
Papo Amargasaurus
Papo Compsognathus
Papo Iguanodon
Papo Quetzalcoatlus
Papo Therizinosaurus
Papo Young Spinosaurus

PNSO Abelisaurus - Martin
PNSO Alioramus - Gala
PNSO Anchiornis - Luffy
PNSO Atopodentatus - Finch
PNSO Baryonyx - Burton
PNSO Chasmosaurus - Brown
PNSO Concavenator - Carlos
PNSO Confuciusornis - Yoyo
PNSO Cryolophosaurus - Loader
PNSO Dakosaurus - Paulwin
PNSO Ectenosaurus - Jason
PNSO Guidraco - Yusen
PNSO Indosuchus - Aishwarya
PNSO Keichousaurus - Ricky
PNSO Kosmoceratops - Abel
PNSO Liaoceratops - Hehe
PNSO Mei - Maomao
PNSO Nemicolopterus - Tracy
PNSO Odontochelys - Shelfy
PNSO Ouranosaurus - Morris
PNSO Pachyrhinosaurus - Alger
PNSO Qianzhousaurus - Trike
PNSO Sinosauropteryx - Yuyan
PNSO Spinops - Duke
PNSO Tianyulong - Xiaoyu
PNSO Xenoceratops - Ripley
PNSO Yi - Yiyi

Rebor Ankylosaurus
Rebor Velociraptor "Sweeney"

Recur Basilosaurus
Recur Carnotaurus
Recur Dunkleosteus
Recur Giganotosaurus
Recur Ichthyosaurus
Recur Mosasaurus
Recur Plesiosaurus
Recur Tyrannosaurus

Safari Amargasaurus
Safari American Mastodon
Safari Ankylosaurus
Safari Anzu
Safari Daeodon
Safari Dimetrodon
Safari Hyaenodon
Safari Macrauchenia
Safari Malawisaurus
Safari Megacerops
Safari Regaliceratops
Safari Triceratops
Safari Uintatherium

Schleich Carnotaurus
Schleich Dinogorgon
Schleich Oviraptor
Schleich Psittacosaurus
Schleich Pteranodon
Schleich Tawa
Schleich Triceratops
Schleich Therizinosaurus
Schleich Therizinosaurus (Juvenile)
Schleich Tyrannosaurus
Schleich Tyrannosaurus (Juvenile)
Schleich Velociraptor

Southlands Replicas Diprotodon

Vitae Chilantaisaurus
Vitae Giganotosaurus
Vitae Majungasaurus
Vitae Sinraptor
Vitae Wuerhosaurus
Vitae Zhejianopterus
Vitae Zhejianosaurus

PumperKrickel

Some notes concerning the list: I generally didn´t include repaints, unless I could picture someone actually voting for it. For example the Papo Acrocanthosaurus repaint received a lot of positive feedback and people described it as an improvement. In cases like this I think adding a repaint is fair. If I didn´t include a specific repaint you think deserves to be here, please suggest it.

I have omitted all playsets or multipacks, unless they included a unique figure. In those cases I listed the figures individually.

All Mattel minis have been omitted so far. I believe including them would needlessly inflate the already long list. Would like a discussion on this.

In general I think we should include as many figures as possible, because in addition to determining the best figures of 2018, this thread should give us a chance in my opinion. These polls have merit in giving us a chance to look back and see how our hobby as evolved over the years.

Killekor

P @PumperKrickel if I'm not wrong, all the wave 2 BotM figures have been released in 2019. In 2018 were released all the original BotM raptors available in the Kickstarter campaign/Backerit preorder.

Killekor
Bigger than a camarasaurus,
and with a bite more stronger that the T-Rex bite,
Ticamasaurus is certainly the king of the Jurassic period.

With Balaur feet, dromaeosaurus bite, microraptor wings, and a terrible poison, the Deinoraptor Dromaeonychus is a lethal enemy for the most ferocious hybrid too.

My Repaints Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5104.0

My Art And Sculptures Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5170

My Dioramas Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5195.0

My Collection Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5438

Sim

Thanks for doing this P @PumperKrickel.  I'd like the Favorite Baryonyx and Neovenator included.

PumperKrickel

Quote from: Killekor on November 07, 2019, 01:28:25 PM
P @PumperKrickel if I'm not wrong, all the wave 2 BotM figures have been released in 2019. In 2018 were released all the original BotM raptors available in the Kickstarter campaign/Backerit preorder.

Killekor

You are definitely correct, I could have sworn the Raptors were a 2017 release. They weren´t in the 2017 poll though, so they definitely belong in this one! Thank you.

I´ll add them and the suggested Favorite figures right now.

Halichoeres

Thanks for taking this on!

In addition to the Favorite Baryonyx and Neovenator, Favorite released several miniature dinosaurs: Fukuiraptor, Fukuisaurus, Fukuititan, and Koshisaurus. I am not sure whether anyone will vote for those, but they were also 2018 releases.

I think several people would probably vote for the Southlands Replicas Diprotodon.

Whereas it was actually released in December 2017, nobody outside of Japan got the Colorata Paleozoic Creatures box until January 2018. Also, it was not included in the 2017 poll, and I would vote for it as a set, or for several of the individual figures if you prefer to do it that way. Its contents are:

Acutiramus
Anomalocaris
Cameroceras
Cephalaspis
Dunkleosteus
Olenoides
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

PumperKrickel

Quote from: Halichoeres on November 07, 2019, 02:53:25 PM
Thanks for taking this on!

Added all of the suggestions so far and thank you for writing them down in alphabetical order already!  ^-^

I have listed the Colorata figures individually, since this will give us a better understanding of which figure someone thought deserving of a vote. It´s more fair this way I think.

Faelrin

I think you have all the ones I would pick from to vote on. Picking only ten or so will be the hardest part for me which is definitely in part because of the massive Mattel line up, and Beasts of the Mesozoic releases.

Edit: Perhaps for the Beasts of the Mesozoic Microraptor, Troodon, etc include the accessory pack names such as Forest, Mountain, etc? I certainly think I might vote on those but it's definitely not only because of the creature figures in them, because those accessory packs are absolutely phenomenal little diorama sets and they have so much use. Unless that would complicate things for the purpose of this poll.

Edit 2: I noticed the Mattel Destruct-A-Saur sets (and STEM Fossil Strikers sets) are missing although not many countries got them during 2018. Granted I don't know if anyone has any intention of voting for any of those but worth mentioning for completion sake perhaps?

Also the fan's choice versions of the Beasts of the Mesozoic are missing. I realize they are technically repaints but I think there might be folks that prefer those over the original versions so I would suggest including them.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

PumperKrickel

I have added the Beasts of the Mesozoic repaints and the accessory packs. I originally chose to only included the animals that came with the accessory packs since this is a poll for animal toys, but I don´t think it makes any difference really, so might as well be precise. I have also added the nestlings now.

The dinosaurs in the Destruct-A-Saur sets were all repaints apart from the Microceratus, were they not? This is a hard decision, especially since the Microceratus is quite nice and unique. I do want to be as complete as possible, but including all Mattel repaints seems unneccessary. Does anyone have a strong opinion on this one?

The STEM Fossil Striker sets are only skeletons. Should they be included? I really don´t know.

DinoToyForum

stargatedalek

Quote from: PumperKrickel on November 07, 2019, 05:10:28 PM
I have added the Beasts of the Mesozoic repaints and the accessory packs. I originally chose to only included the animals that came with the accessory packs since this is a poll for animal toys, but I don´t think it makes any difference really, so might as well be precise. I have also added the nestlings now.

The dinosaurs in the Destruct-A-Saur sets were all repaints apart from the Microceratus, were they not? This is a hard decision, especially since the Microceratus is quite nice and unique. I do want to be as complete as possible, but including all Mattel repaints seems unneccessary. Does anyone have a strong opinion on this one?

The STEM Fossil Striker sets are only skeletons. Should they be included? I really don´t know.
The Compsognathus from those sets was also new. I would just include them as sets rather than as individuals, this should cut down on repaint spam while making sure nothing gets missed.

PumperKrickel

Quote from: stargatedalek on November 07, 2019, 05:21:18 PM
I would just include them as sets rather than as individuals, this should cut down on repaint spam while making sure nothing gets missed.

But weren´t multiple figures packaged with the Microceratus? I think I prefer listing them individually. It´s more transparent.

Now I´m thinking I should probably list all repaints. Doesn´t feel fair doing so for the BotM figures and not doing it for the JW figures. The poll will be far too long either way.  ;D

Gothmog the Baryonyx

I think it's a but of a doub;e standard to exclude PNSO's mamenchisaurus, Spinosaurus etc as statues ven though they're made og plastic, but allow the Vitae Giganotosaurus, Sinoceratops et al in this poll even though they actually are statues.
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Halichoeres

Quote from: Gothmog the Baryonyx on November 08, 2019, 12:31:36 AM
I think it's a but of a doub;e standard to exclude PNSO's mamenchisaurus, Spinosaurus etc as statues ven though they're made og plastic, but allow the Vitae Giganotosaurus, Sinoceratops et al in this poll even though they actually are statues.

The Mamenchisaurus was released in 2017 and again in 2019, whereas this is the 2018 poll. For what it's worth, though, I agree the Spinosaurus should be included in the 2019 poll.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

PumperKrickel

Quote from: Gothmog the Baryonyx on November 08, 2019, 12:31:36 AM

I think it´s rather rude to accuse me of having a double standard. There wasn´t a "PNSO new for 2018" thread, so I had to add most PNSO figures from memory. ED only started stocking the Spinosaurus in early 2019 and I didn´t find any review from earlier than that, so I assumed it was a 2019 release.

The Mamenchisaurus was already included in the 2017 poll, where it had 25 votes.

I have now added the Spinosaurus and the Amargasaurus.

Edit: Having a look at earlier polls, I have found out that in 2015 we already had some Kaiyodo skeletons and skulls in the poll. So there really is no reason why the Mattel STEM fossil striker and playleontology kits should be excluded. I have added them now, plus the Destruct-a-Saur figures individually.

PumperKrickel

Quote from: Halichoeres on November 08, 2019, 12:56:28 AM
The Mamenchisaurus was released in 2017 and again in 2019, whereas this is the 2018 poll. For what it's worth, though, I agree the Spinosaurus should be included in the 2019 poll.

Turns out I misread your post to say the Spinosaurus should be included in the 2018 poll and took that as confirmation that I was misremembering when the PNSO Spinosaurus and Amargasaurus came out. I have thus removed them again and hope they will be included in the 2019 poll.

Some additional thoughts on the inclusion of higher end collectibles such as the offerings of BotM, Rebor and PNSO: It never made any sense to me why these figures shouldn´t be eligible for use in polls, just because they aren´t toys you might give a child. Such distinction isn´t made when reviewing figures for the blog, either. BotM, Rebor and PNSO figures are regularly being reviewed on the dinotoyblog, so they should be eligible in all polls in the dinotoyforum, as well.

PumperKrickel

I´ll probably start the voting phase soon after the diorama contest has concluded, so please make sure the figures you´d vote for are here.  8)

Killekor

After looking at all the suggestions for the poll I realized what a great year has been for Dinosaur toy collecting 2018.
There have been so many amazing figures, between Papo, BotM, Mattel and even Schleich! It will be really difficult to vote for the top ten.
Also 2019 has been a great year. Let's hope that also 2020 will be an equal (or even better) year! It surely seems promising.

Killekor
Bigger than a camarasaurus,
and with a bite more stronger that the T-Rex bite,
Ticamasaurus is certainly the king of the Jurassic period.

With Balaur feet, dromaeosaurus bite, microraptor wings, and a terrible poison, the Deinoraptor Dromaeonychus is a lethal enemy for the most ferocious hybrid too.

My Repaints Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5104.0

My Art And Sculptures Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5170

My Dioramas Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5195.0

My Collection Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5438

PumperKrickel

I´m planning to start the poll somewhere around wednesday/thursday, so this is the final reminder to check if all your favourite figures of 2018 are there!  8)

PumperKrickel

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.