News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Faunacasts Collections

Started by Takama, July 23, 2012, 06:06:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Takama

Ok back in the Toys thread, there have been certain threads of individual lines, and people would post there collections of the specific line and talk about them.

Papo had one CollectA has one and now im starting the Faunacasts one, though i dont have any of them yet and would like to see some photos of the ones that other people own.

tyrantqueen

Don't Faunacasts needed painting and assembling? I thought that wasn't your thing XD

Although if you are thinking of getting into painting then I wish you luck :)

Patrx

Cool idea, Takama - I've just got one Fauna Casts model so far, the second version of the 1/40 T. rex.

I'm also in the process of obtaining the 1/15 Dilophosaurus and the new 1/40 Ceratosaurus.

Quote from: tyrantqueen on July 23, 2012, 01:51:23 PM
Don't Faunacasts needed painting and assembling? I thought that wasn't your thing XD
Actually, they are somewhat unique in that they are solid pieces which Malcolm paints himself :)

Takama

Quote from: tyrantqueen on July 23, 2012, 01:51:23 PM

Although if you are thinking of getting into painting then I wish you luck :)
They are painted and assembled for you by Dinonikes, who operates the entire line.

so its a great choice for me.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Or you can get them unpainted if you want to try yourself. I have the Parasaurolophus, 1st Rex, Dilolophosaurus, Mureanosaurus, and Tylosaurus..so far. ;)

Takama

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on July 23, 2012, 06:58:09 PM
Or you can get them unpainted if you want to try yourself. I have the Parasaurolophus, 1st Rex, Dilolophosaurus, Mureanosaurus, and Tylosaurus..so far. ;)

My painting skils are,,Bland to put it bluntly. And i do not wish to tempt it on something that i would pay half a hudred for (I heared most of the Fuanacasts piecies are $60, which is as much as a brand new PS3 Game), Though if i do not like the paint schemes that Malcalm does for a piece, I do consider getting it monochrome and sending it to someone who can do something diffrent.

Blade-of-the-Moon

No problem. But for those that do like painting their own it's cool Malcolm offered them like that. :)

amargasaurus cazaui

Already built and painted also tends to keep the recasters out of the mix, which in the end really protects the collector and the artist.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

dinonikes

When I sell unpainted pieces, they are not in a kit form- they are all assembled and painted in a prime color white, they are ready to paint a finished color scheme. I do this so that I can sort of still control the quality of my stuff out there, by doing any assembling, cleanup or any patching necessary for a good piece. Its this prep work that takes up my time.

Blade-of-the-Moon

My Faunacasts pieces so far.

Allosaurus

repainted the base and touched up the Allosaurus itself with markings and a diff color underbody.

Parasaurolophus

Pretty much a complete repaint to go with my female and juvenile Para by Tamiya.

Tyrannosaurus

Dilophosaurus

Mureanasaurus

Not a great pic..it's hanging with my other prehistoric marine life from the ceiling.

Tylosaurus

I would say the best overall piece I own..pose, coloration and size are all excellent.

Icthyosaur

Takama

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on July 24, 2012, 10:53:07 PM
My Faunacasts pieces so far.

Allosaurus

repainted the base and touched up the Allosaurus itself with markings and a diff color underbody.

Parasaurolophus

Pretty much a complete repaint to go with my female and juvenile Para by Tamiya.

Tyrannosaurus

Dilophosaurus

Mureanasaurus

Not a great pic..it's hanging with my other prehistoric marine life from the ceiling.

Tylosaurus

I would say the best overall piece I own..pose, coloration and size are all excellent.

Icthyosaur

They all look very cool. though in all hounesty, I like what you did to the allosaurus. Makes it look more like a real creture instead of a black shadow

amargasaurus cazaui

Superb collection Blade, thanks for sharing. I did want to ask, did you repaint them all then or are some of them Malcom's original paints? If so did you identify the ones you retouched, meaning only the Allosaurus and the Para?
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

radman

No disrespect with what you've done with the Allo, Chris  - I like what you've done very well, but I am really quite fond of the original as well; the all-black, golden-eyeballs, pantherish version of Malcolm's Allosaurus model, bloody as it is.  I believe it was an homage to the famous museum mural, and I think he did a wonderful job with it.  Plus, it's the only melanistic Allo I have, also one of my favorites and a great stand-alone piece. :)
Did allos hunt at night like lions?  Food for thought...

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on July 24, 2012, 11:34:45 PM
Superb collection Blade, thanks for sharing. I did want to ask, did you repaint them all then or are some of them Malcom's original paints? If so did you identify the ones you retouched, meaning only the Allosaurus and the Para?

Yes, only the Allo and the Para were painted by me, the rest are all Malcolm's work. :)

Quote from: radman on July 25, 2012, 12:35:12 AM
No disrespect with what you've done with the Allo, Chris  - I like what you've done very well, but I am really quite fond of the original as well; the all-black, golden-eyeballs, pantherish version of Malcolm's Allosaurus model, bloody as it is.  I believe it was an homage to the famous museum mural, and I think he did a wonderful job with it.  Plus, it's the only melanistic Allo I have, also one of my favorites and a great stand-alone piece. :)
Did allos hunt at night like lions?  Food for thought...

I like all black dinos as well ( ala Chris Sawyers " Black Death " Tyrannosaur from his Far-Seer novel ) and I did a Tamiya Rex that way as well once. It's cool when you can see it in paintings and such but it's very hard to translate into a sculpture showing the depth of blackness with only slight differences in shades. I've seen it done well ..but not by me..lol  So I opted for keeping most of Malcolm's original idea paint-wise but added my own twist with the belly and markings so it has more of a coral snake feel.  The base I just wanted a dark mud brown..with all those creatures stomping the kill site it wouldn't have been clean very long I figure. ;D

Bokisaurus

from my collection  ;D
[

I am still waiting for the two sauropods, the Spino, and some others. Hope I get them soon! ;)

Blade-of-the-Moon

Bokisaurus

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on July 25, 2012, 08:53:54 AM
Great pics Boki !

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Bokisaurus on July 26, 2012, 08:06:07 AM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on July 25, 2012, 08:53:54 AM
Great pics Boki !

Thank you !

Your Rex is REALLY nice..love the shading on it...was that Malcolm's very first Rex ?

Takama

OK so how do these models all feel?  Are they really hard, and Are they Brittle..

are they light or heavey.

Is it true that they could survive a impact on a hardwood floor?

Blade-of-the-Moon

I think they feel about the same as a similar sized resin model. Durability.. I could probably drop one on to my bed or a thick rug and still be good. I think a hardwood floor would be too much.

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.