News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Goro Furuta's awesome Plesiosaur sculpture

Started by sauroid, December 29, 2017, 11:05:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sauroid

his refreshing rendition is so different from the others ive seen.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

IrritatorRaji

It looks so weird but I really like it. The scales are gorgeous.

sauroid

his version is heavily inspired by extant chelonian species like the indo-australian snake necked turtles and the fly river turtle. Goro is a turtle hobbyist btw. and to those who do not know, he sculpted a lot of Kaiyodo's prehistoric animal figures.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

DinoToyForum

Whoa, they've taken the whole "snake threaded through the body of a turtle" quite literally.  It is a beautiful sculpt. Inaccurate in many ways, unlikely in other ways, but stunning to look at. As Sauroid said, it looks like they were mostly inspired by long-necked turtles, which have a very different skeletal anatomy to plesiosaurs. Is it for sale anywhere?

PhilSauria

The lake in our local park is full of Eastern Snake Necked Turtles so it's weird seeing an ancient marine reptile so reminicent of these modern reptiles! I too would love to know if this is a one off or available commercially, though having said that I suspect that it will be out of my price range as a lot of these higher end figures usually are. Great to see the images however.

tyrantqueen

It's unique, I'll give it that. And the sculpting is nice.

sauroid

i do not know if this figure is for sale because his fb posts are 100% in Japanese :D

Reptilia

I like how the neck is fleshy. Has a fishy feel too. Great sculpt.

tyrantqueen

I doubt it's for sale. A most he'd make casts of it. But from what I've seen, most Japanese sculptors keep their originals.

Jose S.M.

It might not be accurate but it's a great sculpt, I love turtles, all of them (by the way we have only a word for turtle in my country, I've seen like 3 in English  :))), so this looks great for me.

Lanthanotus

"Fresh" and impressive, I really like it, though the surface structures look to me like a somewhat wild mix of several creatures.... neck of the named Chelodina, flippers and belly from Caretta or Chelonia,  back scales from Hydrophis or another sea snake.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Saw this last night, very cool. Adam that snake through the turtle bit is exactly what I was thinking lol 

One of his post said he might sell copies at Wonderfest I think?  I tried translating it.  "   宇都宮聡 On the wonder festival next year
Three, one.
I'm going to sell it for 50 million!  "

Lanthanotus

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on December 29, 2017, 05:44:30 PM
[...]

"   宇都宮聡 On the wonder festival next year
Three, one.
I'm going to sell it for 50 million!  "

Proud price :D

Blade-of-the-Moon

WarrenJB

Not much to add to other responses...

Quote from: dinotoyforum on December 29, 2017, 11:30:10 AM
Whoa, they've taken the whole "snake threaded through the body of a turtle" quite literally.  It is a beautiful sculpt. Inaccurate in many ways, unlikely in other ways, but stunning to look at. As Sauroid said, it looks like they were mostly inspired by long-necked turtles, which have a very different skeletal anatomy to plesiosaurs.

... ditto!

It looks like something you might see in a modern-day Harryhausen film, and that's not (only) intended as criticism.

Libraraptor

I like it.  It differs from the standard plesiosaur figures in so many ways.  inaccurate or not,  I like it very much.

Bokisaurus

Very interesting! If only they would make a toy version of it.

sauroid

i hope he proposes to Kaiyodo to make a plastic version of it. hopefully the same size as the original sculpt.

Joey

zatrex99

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.