News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

PhilSauria's Paleo Plastic Collection

Started by PhilSauria, January 23, 2018, 09:45:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhilSauria

Thought it was about time that I took the plunge and put my collection out there to be shared. As well as an element of procrastination there was the best method to shoot them and a decent camera to do the shooting with. Both of those have now been sorted so I can't use that excuse any more. Then there was the format; I like looking at groups of figures, to compare sizes and quality between brands, and I also like the collection pics that show the various figures from individual brands; so I have done a bit of mix. It has taken a while to photograph the figures as I take the shots out of doors using diffused daylight so that limits the sessions to weekends, time permitting, but I now have enough images to make a start so here goes.
The small Styracosaurus herd

Assorted early species

The first of what will be many Sauropod groups (biggest part of the collection by head count)

Assorted smaller tyrannosaur figures

The extent of my WWD figures, all but the Iguanodon actually purchased back in the day.

Mammals get a look in on my shelves as well (an equal opportunity collector)

Had more Ankylosaurs than I thought when I gathered them up for their photo shoot.

And don't these two look ready to swoop down from their 'perch' on a hight shelf.

More to come...

sauroid

impressive photos and cool figures. cant wait for more. :)
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

RobinGoodfellow

I really like your photographic style.  8)
Congrats.  ^-^

RobinGoodfellow

...by the way, just one question: in your Ankylosaurus picture I can see 2 Favorite Softmodels (old & new), 2 Schleich (old & new), 1 Papo and 1 Safari.
What's the brand for the last one (on the low right side) ?  ???

sauroid

same question re: the brown ankylosaur figure
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Libraraptor

A very nice assortment of figures and Hugh qualitiy pics. Can't wait for more, Thanks for sharing!

Jose S.M.

ceratopsian

Very successful photos with a well balanced arrangement of beasts in each shot.  Thank you - I love seeing other people's collections!

Lanthanotus

Hi Phil, nice collection shots and some really nice figures :)

But I still have to ask... those two "Papo" (Ankylo & Dimetrodon), are those genuine, or knockoffs, seen lots of them when I've been to Australia, in fact only saw knockoffs, no originals (but I just visited Target, Wallmart and the likes...oh well, not totally true,... the gem store in Coonabarabran sold CollectAs).

PhilSauria

Firstly thanks for the comments and feedback everyone, much appreciated!

Robin (and others); the unidentified brown Ankylosaur is just that - unidentified. It was an unbranded figure I picked up in a bargain bin with minimal paint work which I upgraded with some painting of my own.

Lanthanotus - yes I have to 'fess up to the odd bootleg in there! Apologies to any who have strong ethical feelings about the purchase of these but the collecting dollar will only stretch so far and I do try to keep them to a minimum in terms of the percentage of genuine figures I have.

Lanthanotus

Hehe, no hard feelings here, Phil,... just asked as those looked different from the originals.... however I saw knockoffs in Australia that surpassed their original counterparts in my opinion, notably several Schleich dinosaurs.

That unidentified ankylosaur looks really nice and interesting, do you have other photos of it? Never seen the likes, great catch!

Shonisaurus

Magnificent collection I especially like styracosaurus especially Sega. They are a beautiful set. I congratulate you. :)

Reptilia

Lovely picture the one of the two Collecta pterosaurs. What kind of technique do you use? I'm no expert at all but your photos look very professional to my untrained eye.

PhilSauria

Thanks Reptilia! As for technique; it's not very high-tech - two pieces of thick card cut from a large packing box taped into an 'L' shape with a prop at the back, a piece of heavy grey art paper held onto that with bulldog clips and sunlight does the rest as far as lighting goes. Filtered through the laser light roof on our pergola. This all set up on an outdoor table setting with the camera on a tripod.
I work as a graphic designer which involves a bit of product photography from time to time so that helps in coming up with a pleasing and interesting arrangement of the subjects in the frame. I prefer looking at clear well lit closeups of figures that I might want to buy online so I've tried for that approach here. Hope that answers your question.

Reptilia

It doesn't really give the impression of natural light, seems more like you used your own light set up. Which I believe is a plus, great job.

PhilSauria

Quote from: Lanthanotus on January 23, 2018, 08:41:19 PM
That unidentified ankylosaur looks really nice and interesting, do you have other photos of it? Never seen the likes, great catch!

Checking in on the Forum during a break at the office but I'll get some more photos done ASAP once I am home again.

sauroid

Quote from: PhilSauria on January 23, 2018, 08:33:01 PM

the unidentified brown Ankylosaur is just that - unidentified. It was an unbranded figure I picked up in a bargain bin with minimal paint work which I upgraded with some painting of my own.

i now recognise it. it's a hollow pink toned chinasaur that has a decent sculpt (i also have it).

Halichoeres

Nice collection and great shots! Another collection thread worth following, it seems.  ^-^
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

PhilSauria

Thanks to all for the comments and compliments! I had hoped to post another batch of images last night (Aus time) but became sidetracked with posting the newly arrived Safari & Schleich Triceratops duo. More in the next 24 hours.

PhilSauria

More stuff.
Assorted Giganotosaurs

My sole Baryonyx specimens, is more than one a collection?

Some big Brachiosaurs, putting their best foot forward.

Medium sized Tyrannos; Safari, Favorite and Kinto.

More Triceratops, clockwise from left; K&M, Tiptoi, Schleich and Kinto.

More big Brachiosaurs (are there any other kind?) also putting their best foot forward.

A trio of Terror Birds.

Thanks, in advance, for taking an interest. More next time.

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.