You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

PhilSauria's Paleo Plastic Collection

Started by PhilSauria, January 23, 2018, 09:45:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halichoeres

The Brachiosauruses are clearly line-dancing.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

PhilSauria

Hmm, not sure how I managed to add the same picture twice of the Brachiosaurs. Shouldn't do these posts late in the evening. Interesting theory with the line dancing! All five of the large Brachios (and or Giraffatitans) have the right foot forward, the other pic I meant to post featured the Papo and Carnegie Brachios. First pic in the next post for those then.

Lanthanotus

Nice photos, Phil :)

Did you fit that base under the Tiptoi Giganotosaurus yourself or is it sold like that in Australia?

PhilSauria

Thanks. Like many a theropod figure it stood fine for a while but eventually became prome to taking a nose dive unless leant against another figure. So I made a base for it, not really up to the standard of some of the spectacular bases I've seen from other members but it keeps the figure upright. Bought this one online, I have never seen Tiptoi sold here, it's pretty much Schleich wherever you go. Talk about market penetration. There will be other DIY bases on various figures in future postings, and just looking over at the shelves I really should put more effort into them.

PhilSauria

Quote from: Lanthanotus on January 23, 2018, 08:41:19 PM
That unidentified ankylosaur looks really nice and interesting, do you have other photos of it? Never seen the likes, great catch!
I was going to supply some extra images wasn't I - didn't forget just got sidetracked; so here they are. Seems my repaint could do with a tidy up on seeing it in close up!, which is not the usual viewing distance.

PhilSauria

Collection post number three.
Assorted Ceratopsians. Bought the Papo quite recently on reading of its retirement, under the get 'em before they go policy.

My only Ouranosaur specimens, by Lontic and Recur. Wish I could get hold of the Battat one. (as if)

Building up quite a herd of these guys now, with two more to add as they become available this year.

This toothy Safari figure gained an equally toothy companion last week.

A group of Pterosaurs just standing around, with the Papo Quetz to join them this year.

An odd trio that didn't fit any other category, from PNSO, Schleich and AAA. (DIY base under the Galli for the usual reason)

Until next time...

Libraraptor

Cool Pictures as always.  I See you have got the Scientific Toys Pteranodon,  too.

PhilSauria

Thanks. First saw that Pteranodon about two years ago and liked the look of it, knew nothing about it though and it took a while before I found out who made it and that it was part of an education play set. Took even longer before one turned up on eBay but constant vigilance can be rewarded. Wouldn't mind the rex from that set, with its evil grin, but I've never seen it up on the listings.

Shonisaurus

The Mandschurosaurus looks huge and majestic, especially next to the Schleich edmontosaurus which was a great figure in terms of size and quality. If it were not for the vinyl figures I do not like for a long time I would have ordered everything from vinyl figures to everything else sincerely speaking, apart they occupy a lot of space, without saying that they are awesome and very cool figures.  :)  8)

Halichoeres

Quote from: PhilSauria on January 28, 2018, 10:30:37 AM
Thanks. First saw that Pteranodon about two years ago and liked the look of it, knew nothing about it though and it took a while before I found out who made it and that it was part of an education play set. Took even longer before one turned up on eBay but constant vigilance can be rewarded. Wouldn't mind the rex from that set, with its evil grin, but I've never seen it up on the listings.

There's a cheap lot with the rex here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-of-9-SCIENTIFIC-TOYS-LTD-SMALL-PLASTIC-DINOSAUR-FIGURES-CHINA/282816059543

Not sure if they ship to you, but if not I'd be happy to buy and forward.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

PhilSauria

Thanks for looking into that one on my behalf but I might have to pass for the moment - too many other financial commitments at this point in time! I know the initial price isn't that high but they do ship to Australia - for the insane amount of $72 US?!!! I don't even want to do the conversion to our currency. How is such a shipping price arrived at for sending a few small pieces of plastic? Not sure how the system works there but I have noticed that shipping prices vary wildly from the US to Aus, you get gob-smacking rates like this and then more sensible rates such as for me being able to buy the new Safari Triceratops from Amazon, postage included, coming to less that I could pick it up locally.

Halichoeres

Quote from: PhilSauria on January 28, 2018, 09:30:34 PM
Thanks for looking into that one on my behalf but I might have to pass for the moment - too many other financial commitments at this point in time! I know the initial price isn't that high but they do ship to Australia - for the insane amount of $72 US?!!! I don't even want to do the conversion to our currency. How is such a shipping price arrived at for sending a few small pieces of plastic? Not sure how the system works there but I have noticed that shipping prices vary wildly from the US to Aus, you get gob-smacking rates like this and then more sensible rates such as for me being able to buy the new Safari Triceratops from Amazon, postage included, coming to less that I could pick it up locally.

That's probably because the seller, perhaps unwittingly, opted into the eBay Global Shipping Program, a racket in which they have you ship the item to Kentucky, then they re-package it and send it by Priority International. You're literally paying for it to ship twice. As a seller you have to go to some effort to change the default so that someone can just have it sent by First Class International, usually around half the price.

RobinGoodfellow

Quote from: Halichoeres on January 30, 2018, 04:16:14 AM

That's probably because the seller, perhaps unwittingly, opted into the eBay Global Shipping Program, a racket in which they have you ship the item to Kentucky, then they re-package it and send it by Priority International. You're literally paying for it to ship twice. As a seller you have to go to some effort to change the default so that someone can just have it sent by First Class International, usually around half the price.

..well, I have mixed feelings about Ebay Global Shipping Program.
Usually it's more expensive than Priority International but also faster, safer and easier (for my Country).
A US item (with Priority International) has to be retained into Customs for a quite long time (even a month) and you have to pay Customs extra tax ( it could seem strange but tax is higher that way..).
With GSP Customs taxes are pre-paid (and lower) and the item can jump over all Customs procedure: it takes weeks instead of months for an item to be received.
If you buy pricey and/or fragile items, GSP could be better than PI (at least for my Country)..

Shonisaurus

Quote from: RobinGoodfellow on January 30, 2018, 07:21:12 AM

Usually it's more expensive than Priority International but also faster, safer and easier (for my Country).
A US item (with Priority International) has to be retained into Customs for a quite long time (even a month) and you have to pay Customs extra tax ( it could seem strange but tax is higher that way..).
With GSP Customs taxes are pre-paid (and lower) and the item can jump over all Customs procedure: it takes weeks instead of months for an item to be received.
If you buy pricey and/or fragile items, GSP could be better than PI (at least for my Country)..

I recommend anyone who wants to buy figures to another nation in this case. The Ebay global shipping method saves money both the buyer and the seller and does not require customs tax.  :D

Halichoeres

Quote from: RobinGoodfellow on January 30, 2018, 07:21:12 AM

Oh, that's interesting. I hadn't considered the customs aspect. The only costs I'm privy to are the direct shipping costs, so to me as a seller it looks as though buyers are paying more using the GSP. Also, as a US buyer, when I buy something from another company using GSP, it costs me significantly more, but of course the US doesn't have customs fees. Thanks for that, good to think about.

PhilSauria

Collection post number four.
Assorted Allosaurs. Everyone probably knows who these are. My favorite therapod - pity there are so few figures that do it justice.

Plenty of Marine reptiles on the shelves, this is the Ichthyosaur line up.

Ceratopsian assortment from various branches of the family tree.

Assorted misc Dinosaurs.

More Brachiosaurs / Giraffatitans, L-R: Schleich, Wiben, UKRD, Bullyland & Lontic

Stegosaurs. I like the unofficial red and green livery they seem to have more often than not, Schleich bucking the trend on theirs.

PhilSauria

Collection post number 5.
Six of the twelve Invictas that I have managed to pick up in the last couple of years.

Apatosaurs from Bullyland, Invicta, Papo and Safari Ltd.

Odds and ends. The battered Sauropod I've had for as long as I can recall. Marx?

Some of the Mammoth herd. My favorite standing out in front. A very impressive rendition of this animal.

Mosasaurs and Pliosaurs. Customised eyes on the Bristol Museum Pliosaur, pity about the neck seam.

Dilophosaurs, clockwise from top left; Lontic, Kenner, Safari, Papo and I-Toys.

Yes, there will be more...

Reptilia

Love those old unpainted Invictas. And didn't think the Itoy Dilophosaurus was that small.

PhilSauria

It always surprises me just how well preserved the Invictas are, considering their age. Maybe I have just been fortunate enough to pick these up from sellers who have looked after them! Yeah, the I-Toys was a tad smaller than I expected but still a nice model. If you stretched out the curled tail on the Papo Dilophosaur the two models would be about the same length.

Lanthanotus

That painted Invicta Apatosaurus seems to be in particular good condition, nice :)

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: