News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Rubber Belly Band replacement Project

Started by Angel-Oh-No, May 18, 2016, 02:41:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Angel-Oh-No

Hey Guys,

as most of you know, it is nearly impossible to find intact original rubber bands to attach the harnesses to the dinosaurs. Most of them are dried out, have lost their elasticity or have been damaged otherwise.

This topic here will stat a project to create replacements, that have the same shape, same (or better) color and are made of silicone, so they will never dry out. A few minutes ago I contaced a company, producing silicone plates/mats and also moulded parts made out of silicone.

What I need now, is your help regarding two topics:

1. Which dino had which rubber band
2. Scans including a scale of non shrinked original rubber bands

To 1.:

Here is a list of all Dinos of the Dino Riders toy line including my guess of rubber Bands. This information comes mostly form the package shots, other old photos and different websites and my own mind. If you correct one of those, mark it red and please be sure, if you correct it, then be a 100% sure it is correctly.

Types of Bands, please stick at these namings:
- Oval ring strap (Dinonycus, T-Rex)
- Oval ring strap diffenrent shape (came with warthhog)
- Smaller Two hole strap 16cm/6,5inch (came with euro-version of kentrosaurus)
- Smaller Two hole strap 9cm/3,5inch (came with sabretoothe tiger)
- Three hole strap (Triecratops)
- Two hole strap 13cm/5inch (Diplodocus)
- Very small two hole strap 5cm/2inch (I own it, it gets sold on eBay sometime, but I dont know were it belongs)

T-rex      Oval ring strap
Triceratops      Three hole strap
Dinonychus      Oval ring strap
Monoclonius      
Pteranodon      
Ankylosarus      
Diplodocus      Two hole strap 13cm
Torosaurus      Three hole strap
Dinonychus      Oval ring strap
Styracosaurus      
Queatzcoatlus      
Pterodactylus      
Brontosaurus      Two hole strap 13cm
Dimetrodon      
Pachycephalosaurus      
Struthiomimus      Very small two hole strap 5cm??
Protoceratops      
Stegosarus      
Edmontania      Two hole strap 13cm
Kentrosaurus      Smaller Two hole strap 16cm
Saurolophus      
Pachyrhinosarus      Three hole strap
Chasmosaurus         Oval ring strap diffenrent shape
Queatzcoatlus      
Mammoth         Two hole strap 13cm
Ground Slot      Oval ring strap
Warthhog         Oval ring strap diffenrent shape
Sabretooth tiger      Smaller Two hole strap 9cm

To 2.:
I need scans of the following bands:

If we all help together I might be able to reconstruct all of the rubber bands. I was even thinking about making the prototype version of the edmontonia band with the double Y-shape. You guys here, will be the first to get informed if there are any news.

Lets do this  8)

Angel-Oh-No

Hey guys,

here comes as promised the first update with photos of the first handcut prototype:

And attached to a T-Rex foot:

I made some tests to the material and it is just perfect!!! You cannot rip it apart unintenionally as it is extremely tear-resistant.

I also talked to the company to tell me what it will cost to create a stamping tool and it is cheap enough for me to do it on my own. They can also add some colors, while their standard color is blue, which would perfectly fit all the Valorians. For the Rulons it would be a bit more difficult as the purple is a bit harder to mix. I will now start making drawings so the can give me an exact cost estimate.

Jack James

Cool project man. Very interested to see what you come up with. Not sure I can help you much as I only have the Torosaurus and Struthiomimus original bands (the Struthiomimus is 2 small holes 5cm). I almost dropped my Edmontania armour from a great hight the other day cause the rubber band had disintegrated in about 6 months.

Angel-Oh-No

Come on guys, no one having one of the two following bands?

Just lay a scale next to the rubber band and make a photo.

To finish the project, I need photos of every single band. Otherwise it makes no sense to create a tool to cut the silicone.

Archinto

I have a near perfect strap on one of my triceratops. I can possibly take a photo of it tonight for you. I also beleive that the diplodocus I have has a three hole strap like the triceratops does, but would have to double check. I could be thinking of one of my torosaurus
I'm seeking Orsenigo and other interesting vintage dinosaurs. Contact me if you can help with my search!

Angel-Oh-No

For the Diplodocus I did a test with a handcut two-hole strap and it fitted perfectly withou being even near the on/off switch so i'm sure the Diplo has this one.

dinoriders01

This is a fantastic idea. I've been looking for trex straps for ages! Do you need a scaled pic of the kentrosuarus band? Unusually this band is actually blue despite being a Rulon!
Will you be selling these on eBay?

Angel-Oh-No

Quote from: dinoriders01 on August 07, 2016, 06:53:07 PM
This is a fantastic idea. I've been looking for trex straps for ages! Do you need a scaled pic of the kentrosuarus band? Unusually this band is actually blue despite being a Rulon!
Will you be selling these on eBay?

I have all data now, despite the Warthog Band, please help me all of you with this one. This is the last missing one. If I have this, I will create all CAD drawings and give them to my company to create a cutting/staming tool.

The kentrosaurus band will be in purple, cause, its a Rulon and I guess it was finally a fault by Tyco or their european resellers to make it blue. As for the colors in general: I also guess, the blue and purple/red bands were supposed to mach the seats/utilities of each faction, which was just not possible when using real rubber. With silicone the will make a much better fit to those colors. Maybe they will be a little bit semi transparant, whatever looks best. I see them not only as replacements, but as upgrades.

And of course the will be sold on ebay in the best color possible to mach the seats/utilitis of each faction, not handcut but professionally manufactured and in a material which will never desintegrate.

Lanthanotus

I just own four Dinoriders beasts without any equipment, but I found this on ebay, it may be of potential use. Good luck with your project.

Angel-Oh-No

Unfortunately this is a self-cut version which is not proportional and has a different shape.

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.