News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Prehistoric Plants

Started by stemturtle, July 26, 2012, 07:56:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amargasaurus cazaui

I had hoped I might impose on the plant experts to help me decide a question I am somewhat trying to answer for myself. I have this fossil Psittacosaurus mounted in a display case, and I have decided I wish to place a Bonsai tree in his environment to make things appear somewhat more ......eye catching. My question then is what type of dwarf tree or Bonsai should I consider that would blend in properly with a dinosaur that lived 130-90 million years ago? I had looked at some types of palm, and Juniper for instance and they all look nice, with large wooden trunks, and nice foliage groupings but, would either be a good choice? Do I need some type of fern or what?
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

stemturtle

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on August 22, 2012, 11:39:22 AM
I had hoped I might impose on the plant experts to help me decide a question I am somewhat trying to answer for myself. I have this fossil Psittacosaurus mounted in a display case, and I have decided I wish to place a Bonsai tree in his environment to make things appear somewhat more ......eye catching. My question then is what type of dwarf tree or Bonsai should I consider that would blend in properly with a dinosaur that lived 130-90 million years ago? I had looked at some types of palm, and Juniper for instance and they all look nice, with large wooden trunks, and nice foliage groupings but, would either be a good choice? Do I need some type of fern or what?

Although I am not a paleobotanist, I think that either a juniper or a palm bonsai would go well with a fossil Psittacosaurus.  A palm is an angiosperm, which had evolved by the Cretaceous.  Another conifer that would look nice is a Metasequoia, a redwood.  There are many choices.

Mural at New Mexico Museum of Natural History and Science (Click image)

DC

Giant club moss were important until the end of the Early Triassic and may have lingered into the Cretaceous.  Steve Barber makes them.
http://www.dinosaurcollectorsitea.com/EPermian_files/SphenoocodonMarx.jpg

The generic gymnosperm is from a dollar blister pack.  Can a plant be a chinassaur?
You can never have too many dinosaurs

DC

If you look at flats there is Ginkgo, a conifer, Williamsonia, Cycadeoidea, Nilssonie and Onychiopsis. All these plants can be found in Burien Life before Man plate 64.   
http://www.dinosaurcollectorsitea.com/procon_files/CollectAproceratosaurusAustra.venatorOrnithcheirus.JPG

DC

I like this thread even if no else is reading it.  Lontic released last year cycad - cycadoid plants.  They are not museum quality like the Safari Ltd or CollectA but offer several leaf variations 2 tree types with fern like leaves and one with palmate leaves.  Then their are the small barrel cycads.  I would by these just by themselves.  I think with painting they could be made to look even better.  For that matter painting the Marx and MPC palm fern combinations makes them look much more modern.  We should not forget Marx made a raft of different trees many of them conifers that should have been used with their dinosaur sets.  Their is a rare Disneyville tree fern - Palm looking combination that would be great if painted.  Marolin, Schleich and Bullyland all made trees that are usable.  The JASMAN diorama figures came with a "Palm"  That is you paint the base you can see the fossils etc.  It is intended as a prehistoric palm.       

radman

If you like palm trees, check out  http://hartofthesouth.com/
I got their Sabal palm and it turned out great IMHO.  Lotta work though.

I used the extra leaves to make little palmetto bushes.

ProSauropod

I'm enjoying this thread also - in fact, a few weeks ago I received a package of the Club Moss from Steve Barber.  They're 3 to a pack; each about 3 inches tall in heavy metal.  Be aware they're in his online catalog under " 25/28mm Prehistoric Settlement" ; along with some animals that probably should be under the "25/28mm Prehistoric Animals ". 

DC

Barber has resin cycads also but they are small.  Tamiya diorama models have cycads large barrel size 1/35 scale.  The leaves are crepe paper.  Aurora models had some cycadoids and some fern like plants.  The swamp diorama had a pleuromeia, some tall Bennettitales plus some horse tails.  The prehistoric plants come from Life Like model series Lepidodron, Horsetail, Williansonia, fan palm and cycad.

DC

here is a picture of Barber plants, games Workshop and Play Mobil plants.  I saw the new Play Mobil the plants were are nice but the horsetails are great.  I think with some paint they would make first class diorama.

DC

DC

Steve barbers  prehistoric settlement
http://stevebarbermodels.com/
STL19
Prehistoric Plants 2 (pack of 3) (Clubmoss)

Halichoeres

These figures deserve to be showcased here:

The Araucaria trees from the Mountain and Forest accessory packs of the Creative Beast Beasts of the Mesozoic action figure line. They're each composed of the same four pieces, in different paint jobs, that fit together very snugly and look best next to a standard-sized sauropod figure.

Worth mentioning:

The ferns also included in a couple of accessory packs (Forest and Wetland)

The horsetails from the Wetland pack
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Lanthanotus

Can't wait until those hit the shelves... the plants and environment goodies are my main interest in the whole BotM :)

Ravonium

Quote from: Lanthanotus on February 11, 2018, 06:46:42 PM
the plants and environment goodies are my main interest in the whole BotM :)

Yep, same here  :)  I don't care that much for the over-articulated figures, but these are easily the best prehistoric plants on the market yet, especially for plants that are almost-generic.

ceratopsian

Quote from: Ravonium on February 11, 2018, 06:59:46 PM
Quote from: Lanthanotus on February 11, 2018, 06:46:42 PM
the plants and environment goodies are my main interest in the whole BotM :)

Yep, same here  :)  I don't care that much for the over-articulated figures, but these are easily the best prehistoric plants on the market yet, especially for plants that are almost-generic.

Same here as well.  I'm thinking now of getting two of the environments - but skipping on even the one full-sized articulated figure I thought I might buy.

Halichoeres

That reminds me that these probably belong here too:

From the Favorite "Cretaceous Forest" Georama, some conifers (cf. Araucaria), tree ferns (cf. Cyathea), and small benettitaleans. Very expensive diorama, but absolutely beautiful.

Populated with dinosaurs:

In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Bokisaurus

Those are beautiful plant figures, especially those Georama conifers! We really need more plants, hope CollectA will someday add more to their series.

Lanthanotus

Yeah, those favorite georamas are nice, but I only saw them once available (Black Hills Institute) and unfortunately, shipping to Europe would cost another fortune next to the price of the thing itself. I wished more companies would bother with such things, other than those "cheap" playsets by Schleich or those chinasaur stuff companies.

ceratopsian

I love that Favorite forest.

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.