News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Dinosaur Hybrid Abominations

Started by IrritatorRaji, February 14, 2018, 06:06:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IrritatorRaji

Was wanting a challenge, so I made a post on FB asking for weird dinosaur hybrid combinations for me to doodle. Main goal was just to play around with dinosaur anatomy and make some lovely abominations ;D

Still to do:

• Titanoboa x Mammoth - Achmad Budi Prasetyo WIP
  • Quetzalcoatlus x (JP) Dilophosaurus - Alfonso Ivan Zarate
  • Brachiosaurus (base genome) x Spinosaurus - Tyler Smith
  • Ceratosaurus x Megalosaurus - Stefan Timoce
  • Elasmotherium x Megatherium - Stefan Jankovic
  • Pyroraptor (base genome) x Plesiosaur x Pelican x T.rex x Saltwater Crocodile (Oy vey) - Levi Daniels
  • Amargasaurus x Deinocheirus x Anquilosauro Clava(?) - Raphael Bruno Andrade
  • Yutyrannus x Suchomimus - Nifon Khall
  • I.rex x Carnoraptor - Saif Asif
  • Irritator x Kentrosaurus - Lucas Kammerer
  • Carnotaurus x Stegosaurus x Acrocanthosaurus - Reece Anthony Shaw
  • T.rex x Allosaurus - Jan Porubčan
  • T.rex x Triceratops x Velociraptor- Ronald Duncan
  • Amargasaurus x Spinosaurus x Dimetrodon - Wilson Salway Jr.
  • Spinosaurus x Sarchosuchus x Diplodocus - Ali Kemal Sefaoğlu
  • Spinosaurus x Mosasaurus - Tyler Smith
  • Giganotosaurus x Utahraptor x Carnotaurus - Tyler Smith
  • Iguanodon x Stegosaurus - Tyler Smith
  • Allosaurus x Spinosaurus - Adryon Rivers
  • Saurophaganax x Spinosaurus - Ethan Clise
  • Peacock x Troodon - Klynt Balase
  • Heterodontosaurus x Smilodon - Kyle Geeting
  • Titanoboa x T-Rex - Lenka Torbica
  • Corythosaurus (base genome) x Pteranodon - Marcus Felipe
  • Lythronax x Allosaurus - Tyler Smith
  • T. rex x Purussaurus - Tyler Smith
  • Baryonyx x Deinonychus - Tyler Smith

Lanthanotus

Funny idea... I just hope JP/JW does not include those in any further movie endeavours - though I must admit, most of your creations look far better than that I. rex  (I especially like the Tanystropheus x Dilong, wouldn't mind having a hybrid pet of this in a handy size)

IrritatorRaji

Thank you :)

And yeah, the Tanystropheus x Dilong was the most fun, and easiest, to draw :) If there's any more hybrids in JP/JW I wouldn't mind seeing that, haha.

The Atroxious

Man, this is great. I really like the idea of mix-and-match dinosaurs, so I really enjoy these concepts, especially the Tanystropheus/Dilong. It looks beautifully dragonlike. I also love the way you draw feet. They're simple and elegant, but with a definite sense of the underlying structure.

I have a couple of tips, if you should want them: First off, I really don't think the pubis would be externally visible on these animals. I notice you gave some of these animals the concave abdomen followed by a bony pubic protuberance, but this feature as commonly seen in paleoart has confused me for quite a while since it makes the animal look like it's missing the abdominal muscles/abdominal wall. Going by the anatomy known in extant animals, the abdominal muscles should attach between the ribs and tip of the pubis, typically forming either a straight or slightly convex line along the belly that blends smoothly into the pubis. The only times the belly looks concave is when you have an exceptionally barrel-chested animal, such as cheetahs or certain types of dogs, which is caused by the drastic difference in size between the voluminous ribcage, and the short pelvis.

Secondly, and you might already be aware of this and just used a different technique because these are meant to be doodles, but when sketching with ballpoint pen, you can usually get a smoother effect if you do a very light, scribbly underdrawing, just to map out the body, and then draw darker on top of that. I notice that some of your lines are a bit scratchy and uneven, which, in my own personal experience often comes from trying to figure out what you're drawing as you go. If you just block out the shapes in a light underdrawing, it leaves you ready to add the contours and details in smoother, more finished lines.

Anyway, I look forward to seeing the other frankendinos in the future. Happy drawing!

IrritatorRaji

Quote from: The Atroxious on February 14, 2018, 07:55:38 PM
I have a couple of tips, if you should want them: First off, I really don't think the pubis would be externally visible on these animals. I notice you gave some of these animals the concave abdomen followed by a bony pubic protuberance, but this feature as commonly seen in paleoart has confused me for quite a while since it makes the animal look like it's missing the abdominal muscles/abdominal wall. Going by the anatomy known in extant animals, the abdominal muscles should attach between the ribs and tip of the pubis, typically forming either a straight or slightly convex line along the belly that blends smoothly into the pubis. The only times the belly looks concave is when you have an exceptionally barrel-chested animal, such as cheetahs or certain types of dogs, which is caused by the drastic difference in size between the voluminous ribcage, and the short pelvis.

I'm aware of this, don't worry :D Like I said, these are meant to look weird and freaky

Quote from: The Atroxious on February 14, 2018, 07:55:38 PM
Secondly, and you might already be aware of this and just used a different technique because these are meant to be doodles, but when sketching with ballpoint pen, you can usually get a smoother effect if you do a very light, scribbly underdrawing, just to map out the body, and then draw darker on top of that. I notice that some of your lines are a bit scratchy and uneven, which, in my own personal experience often comes from trying to figure out what you're drawing as you go. If you just block out the shapes in a light underdrawing, it leaves you ready to add the contours and details in smoother, more finished lines.

Anyway, I look forward to seeing the other frankendinos in the future. Happy drawing!

I'm aware of that too, but yeah, they're just doodles so I'm not really putting my all into them. Also, that scratchyness is actually something I do purposefully, I dunno, I just like the way it looks. I even include it in my drawings where I actually include effort :)

Also, I did sketch these, but not in the traditional way. I traced over the sketch.

The critiques are appreciated though, I'll be sure to carry them over onto my other, more serious, works :D

Reptilia

My favourite is the "Maelstrasaurus".

Mini Minmi

Late to the party but I really enjoyed those. Some look like silly weird abominations while others could almost work as a real creature or a dragon. Very creative!

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.