News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

avatar_TheCanadianStenonychosaurus

Safari Ltd Feathered Tyrannosaurus Balancing Issues

Started by TheCanadianStenonychosaurus, March 04, 2018, 07:33:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheCanadianStenonychosaurus

Hello!
A few months ago, I picked up the Feathered Tyrannosaurus from Safari Ltd. It is by far one of the greatest tyrannosaur models ever produced (in my opinion)! Since November it has been standing proudly over a triceratops kill on my shelf and wouldn't topple over. But over the past few weeks, it has become more common for it to fall down, due to it being front heavy. Now I am lucky if it can stand for even half an hour. I have tried dipping the left foot in boiling water, reposing it then running under cold water numerous times. It will stand for a few minutes, and then do a face plant. Does anyone know of a different way I can fix this or a direction I can move the foot? If so then it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks! Alex
I like dinosaurs. It's that simple!

Lanthanotus

Unfortunately, due to the heavy weight of the figure and the comparably thick material in the lower leg/ankle (despite being to weak to support the weight indefinetly) hot water or air cannot remedy the problem. My T. rex stands on a display shelf and its tail is tugged below the tail of a Brachiosaurus next to it (you cannot see that from the viewing angle though) so that solves the problem and also takes weight from the leg, so now when I get the figure out it can stay for an extended time on its own. However, the only other options to remedy it would be either to build a base for it where the feet fit in snuggly (that can be done without glueing, I think in PhilSauria's collection thread is a picture of such) or to drill a deep hole into the leg and fit in a strong steelwire (1-2 mm in diameter)

mgaguilar

I do know there are many people here who use very small clear acrylic rods! Super cheap on amazon and you basically just cut to size.
Usually they are placed beneath the belly on large Theropods. I know some people have already recommended this for PNSO's Wilson.

Halichoeres

I have a lot of off-balance theropods, and I usually use an approach like Lanthanotus's, where the tail is either propped up against or angled underneath a more stable figure to hold it in position. But sometimes I also use acrylic rods, which are pretty effective and not too obtrusive.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Shonisaurus

I keep the plastic base of the feathered Tyrannosaurus Safari. I have applied this same practice to other theropods of other companies such as Giganotosaurus Vitate, Acrocanthosaurus Rebor, Tyrannosaurus PNSO or Rajasaurus Collecta, for example. This way I avoid problems.  :) ;)

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.