News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Tsukuda Dinosaur Series by Tsukuda Hobby 1980s

Started by Bokisaurus, July 29, 2012, 06:51:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bokisaurus

Retro Chic: Tsukuda Hobby Collection

I figured, this time, let's take a break from the glamorous figures, and take a look at a classic vintage line of prehistoric figures, the Tsukuda Collection.
If you are not familiar with the Tsukuda line, you are not alone. I really was not aware of them until I saw them in the Collectors guide. I really had no intention of collecting them... that is until I managed to acquire one by accident. I was instantly charmed by the figure and the line. Since then, I have added a few to my collection. I don't actively seek them, just when I see an opportunity that I can't pass (meaning finding them cheap). I don't think the line was ever that common or widely distributed outside Japan. And they are old, I think circa 1980's.
What distinguished the line from others is that they used beads instead of sculpting or painting eyes on the figures. It is very much like the Tyco Dinorider figures. The beaded eyes are really what give the figures its unique character.
However, the figures are not what you would call "scientifically accurate", far from it.
In fact, you may even call the figure crudely made. They don't have the "cleaned-up", polished look of the Tyco figures, and definitely not the accuracy of the large Kaiyodos. In fact most have large visible seams, and also parts (legs, arms) are not aligned perfectly, leaving small gaps in between the joints.
But what these figure lack in accuracy and smooth production finish, they make up on charm. If you appreciate vintage figures, then this line is for you.
Some, like the Spinosaur and Allosaur look rather cartoony and comical!
There were 12 figure released in the line (that I am aware of). I don't think there were more releases. So far, I managed to acquire 7 figures out of the 12.
The figures that I currently have are Brontosaurus, Triceratops, Styracosaurus, Elasmosaurus, Anatosaurus. Pachycephalosaurus, and Tyrannosaurus.
Rounding up the list, and ones I don't have are Spinosaurus, Stegosaurus, Parasaurolopus, Anklyosaurus, and Allosaurus.
The figures are larger in size, listed as 1:30 scale.

Elasmosaurus
The figure, at first glance, looks like a bigger version of the unpainted Invicta figure in color and pose. They share the same blue overall body color.
The body is more robust than the more graceful Invicta figure. Perhaps the most prominent feature of this figures besides the bead eyes are its' paddles. They are huge and very much unlike any other elasmosaurus paddles I have ever seen.
The paddles look more like a sea lion's than a marine reptiles. The paddles fan out instead of tapering to a point. It also shows some sort of "webbing".

Brontosaurus
One of the largest figures in the collection. This one is your classic sauropod style, right out of the Flintstones. This figure march into the scene sporting short stubby legs, a big hump in the back, and its tail dragging on the ground.
Color is dark green with some white/yellowish underbelly.

Triceratops
This figure looks like it almost has no neck! Its horns are painted white making it stand out. The figure is rich in textured, the body being heavily covered in bumps and cresses.
Color is the same as the Brontosaurus.

Styracosaurus
One of my favorite from the collection, and it is also the smallest one in the group.
This one looks more "polished" that the rest of the collection, perhaps due to its smaller size. It can easily be mistaken for a Tyco figure, and actually goes well with them.

Pachycephalosaurus
Perhaps the largest bonehead in my collection (I'm not fond of the group in general, so I don't have many). This figure is also covered in many bumps all over its body.
Color is dark brown with light yellow highlights.

Anatosaurus
Very simple figure, yet it's one of the most elegant in the collection.
The figure exhibits the same dark green and light yellow color combination that the majority of the figure sport.

Tyrannosaurus
With its exaggerated open mouth, this is one of the more amusing figures in the collection (the Spinosaur and Allosaur being the other ones).
The figure reminds me a lot of those old movies where an actor wears a costume.
Everything about this figure is funny, from its long slender legs, fat tail, and side open mouth (makes it look like its laughing!)
The figure follows the same dark green/light yellow color combination.

There you have it, some retro chic ;D
If any of you have the missing figures, feel free to post and complete the line.
Enjoy :))

Seijun

Spinosaurus:

Anklyosaurus:

Stegosaurus (I also have one with red plates):
My living room smells like old plastic dinosaur toys... Better than air freshener!

Jetoar

I don´t know these figures. They are cool with their retro style. I remember the dinoriders because they have same eyes.
[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

Blackdanter

What about the weird Frankenstein Tsukuda/UKRD hybrids? These were issued in the very early 1990's and were only issued in very tiny numbers in Japan. Some have surfaced recently and here's a couple.

KR-03 - Allosaurus

KR-09 - Dimetrodon

Ikessauro

I love the eyes on these guys, they have make them look really alive. They may not be the most accurate or beautiful models but certainly those eyes are very appealing. I may have to hunt them down at some point.

docronnie

Keep The Magic Alive and Kicking! :-)

docronnie

Parasaurolophus

This is my only Tsukuda in my collection.  :)

tyrantqueen

That's a nice Parasaurolophus Docronnie.

I like the Tsukuda Spinosaurus, Styracosaurus and Anatosaurus. Although I am not keen on the glass eye look (glass eyes always look lifeless and doll like to me, I much prefer painted eyes), they have an awesome retro charm.

Where are the rarer Tsukudas found? I have seen the Tyrannosaurus and Brontosaurus on eBay, but I have never seen the rarer ones for sale.

Blackdanter

Quote from: tyrantqueen on June 02, 2013, 09:37:22 AM

I like the Tsukuda Spinosaurus, Styracosaurus and Anatosaurus. Although I am not keen on the glass eye look (glass eyes always look lifeless and doll like to me, I much prefer painted eyes), they have an awesome retro charm.

Where are the rarer Tsukudas found? I have seen the Tyrannosaurus and Brontosaurus on eBay, but I have never seen the rarer ones for sale.

Ebay is pretty much it I'm afraid Tyrantqueen. The prices are getting a bit silly though. I was lucky with mine as they came from an abandoned basement of an old local toystore that was closing down (bearing in mind that I'm none too good with spiders that was a bit of an achievement for me!). I think I supplied at least 2 members with the rare Plesiosaur from that source. I've never seen the original Allosaurus except in a sample kit form. It seems to be the rarest, closely followed by the Plesiosaur. If you're in the UK, I'm aware of one 'off the beaten path' stockist who still has some in stock. I'll pm you the web address if you want to take a look. I think they still have the Parasaurolphus and Anatosaurus but they're priced about right for a model dealer .............. which is quite expensive in my opinion or, is at least, four times what I paid for mine 4 or 5 years ago.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Blackdanter on June 02, 2013, 02:02:07 PM

Ebay is pretty much it I'm afraid Tyrantqueen. The prices are getting a bit silly though. I was lucky with mine as they came from an abandoned basement of an old local toystore that was closing down (bearing in mind that I'm none too good with spiders that was a bit of an achievement for me!). I think I supplied at least 2 members with the rare Plesiosaur from that source. I've never seen the original Allosaurus except in a sample kit form. It seems to be the rarest, closely followed by the Plesiosaur. If you're in the UK, I'm aware of one 'off the beaten path' stockist who still has some in stock. I'll pm you the web address if you want to take a look. I think they still have the Parasaurolphus and Anatosaurus but they're priced about right for a model dealer .............. which is quite expensive in my opinion or, is at least, four times what I paid for mine 4 or 5 years ago.
Yes, I am British. A link would be appreciated :)

And I'm scared of spiders too, haha ;)

docronnie

Thanks TQ!  :)

Bought mine from a surplus store for almost a dollar and a half.  I really don't know how much they cost nowadays.

DC

Interesting, figures have a Sega look and feel.  My Brontosaurus is a darker blue.
You can never have too many dinosaurs

paultim374

The prices are getting a bit silly though. I was lucky with mine as they came from an abandoned basement of an old local toystore that was closing down bearing in mind that I'm none too good with spiders that was a bit of an achievement for me!. I think I supplied at least 2 members with the rare Plesiosaur from that source.
Usman Malik

docronnie

Quote from: paultim374 on June 18, 2013, 11:16:50 AM
The prices are getting a bit silly though. I was lucky with mine as they came from an abandoned basement of an old local toystore that was closing down bearing in mind that I'm none too good with spiders that was a bit of an achievement for me!. I think I supplied at least 2 members with the rare Plesiosaur from that source.

I've read this post before, I just can't exactly remember where. Lucky you! Congrats!  ;)

Now I see it!  It was Blackdanter's post!  Is this also you?

Blackdanter

Quote from: docronnie on June 19, 2013, 02:51:29 PM
Quote from: paultim374 on June 18, 2013, 11:16:50 AM

I've read this post before, I just can't exactly remember where. Lucky you! Congrats!  ;)

Now I see it!  It was Blackdanter's post!  Is this also you?

No, I think it's a case of the kid playing with the telephone when the parents are out of the room! Nothing to do with me  ;)

Blackdanter

Quote from: docronnie on June 03, 2013, 06:08:27 PM

Thanks TQ!  :)

Bought mine from a surplus store for almost a dollar and a half.  I really don't know how much they cost nowadays.

That's what you call a bargain. Well done!

docronnie

Thanks a lot Black Danter!  So they are worth something, after all. :)

Blackdanter

Quote from: docronnie on June 30, 2013, 02:11:15 AM

The commoner ones around £15, the rarer ones around £25. The Plesiosaur depends, around £40 up to around £75 at a best guess. No idea about the Allosaurus as I've never seen one (except in kit form). The second wave, the UKRD hybrids, are really rare so £30 upwards at a best guess.

docronnie

Quote from: Blackdanter on June 30, 2013, 04:01:56 PM

The commoner ones around £15, the rarer ones around £25. The Plesiosaur depends, around £40 up to around £75 at a best guess. No idea about the Allosaurus as I've never seen one (except in kit form). The second wave, the UKRD hybrids, are really rare so £30 upwards at a best guess.

Is the Parasaurolophus one of the rarer ones? 

Blackdanter

Quote from: docronnie on July 01, 2013, 02:28:21 AM
Quote from: Blackdanter on June 30, 2013, 04:01:56 PM

Is the Parasaurolophus one of the rarer ones?

Yes, it falls into the around £25 bracket  ;)

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.