News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

JURASSIC WORLD: DOMINION

Started by dragon53, March 30, 2018, 06:46:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: LeviRawl on March 31, 2018, 04:11:55 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on March 31, 2018, 03:38:38 PM
Maybe. Though it would be a giant blow to the fans to have her survive the Indominus Rex , be saved from the burning island only to perish.  It might happen in JW3 but there will have to be a Rex to replace her.  You don''t get sales killing off the most famous dinosaur of all. 

Well, I know the central theme of this film is relating the dinosaurs to existing & real animal neglect & welfare issues today. I agree that losing Rexy would be devastating....but maybe that would the point. i.e. dinosaurs are animals, not indestructible monsters. They get injured and sick and old just like everything else on this planet.

Just think of all the instances a particular famous animal in a zoo somewhere dies or gets killed, and the following media coverage & public response to it.

I work as an animal control officer (when I'm not playing with dinosaurs), and as I wait for the release of this film, I often muse on the real issues that would plague dinosaurs in today's society. For example, I'm certain that "dinosaur fighting" would become a thing, as dog-fighting and cock-fighting.

We have very rarely seen a dinosaur die in the JP film universe though..it's not imposssible, I'm just not holding my breath.  We'll have to see what this new director is willing to do.

You might be interested in Tracy Ford's JP-like book Dinosaur Isle.  It explores some of that.    It's also tackled in a lot of fiction, I've read stories where dinosaurs are protected in national forests from poachers and such,  they are bred for eggs , meat and hide like ostriches, even modified heavily for a children's tv character.

Shadowknight1

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on March 31, 2018, 06:59:17 PM
We have very rarely seen a dinosaur die in the JP film universe though..it's not imposssible, I'm just not holding my breath.  We'll have to see what this new director is willing to do.

You might be interested in Tracy Ford's JP-like book Dinosaur Isle.  It explores some of that.    It's also tackled in a lot of fiction, I've read stories where dinosaurs are protected in national forests from poachers and such,  they are bred for eggs , meat and hide like ostriches, even modified heavily for a children's tv character.
I'm presuming you mean of natural causes, because otherwise the raptors from JP/TLW, the rex from JP3, and the Apatosaurs, Pteranodon, and more raptors in JW would disagree with you lol
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

Blade-of-the-Moon

At all actually.  I did say rarely.   Total shown/confirmed dino deaths in JP : 3  TLW : 1 JP3 : 1   JW : 9?  So an average of 3.5 out of how many living ones shown?  Including aerials and pan shots it has to be in the hundreds.  So rarely is the correct term.   In JW the Indominus killing other dinosaurs was a plot point too.   But in general most dinos especially main character ones do not perish.  Pteranodons aren't dinosaurs btw.. ;)

Shadowknight1

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on April 01, 2018, 05:16:02 AM
At all actually.  I did say rarely.   Total shown/confirmed dino deaths in JP : 3  TLW : 1 JP3 : 1   JW : 9?  So an average of 3.5 out of how many living ones shown?  Including aerials and pan shots it has to be in the hundreds.  So rarely is the correct term.   In JW the Indominus killing other dinosaurs was a plot point too.   But in general most dinos especially main character ones do not perish.  Pteranodons aren't dinosaurs btw.. ;)
JP: At least one Gallimimus and all three raptors(2 by Rexy and one left to freeze to death).  TLW: 2 raptors(one kicked by Kelly that probably shattered many bones and got impaled and one killed by another raptor).  JP3: The rex and probably the Pteranodon that got smashed by that cage.  JW: I can't recall how many Apatosaurs the Indominus killed for funsies, at least one Pteranodon was munched by the Mosasaur, and Charlie, Delta, and Echo.  And the Indominus, but that thing needed to be put out of its mutated misery.
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

Jose S.M.

In JW the Indominus also killed one Ankylosaurus.

Reptilia

Add two Dimorphodons too, one shot down by the guys in the helicopter and another one by Claire.

CityRaptor

Does the one shot by Claire count? I thought it was just stunned.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Reptilia

Was the gun shooting anesthetics? Can't remember.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Shadowknight1 on April 01, 2018, 05:10:00 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on April 01, 2018, 05:16:02 AM
JP: At least one Gallimimus and all three raptors(2 by Rexy and one left to freeze to death).  TLW: 2 raptors(one kicked by Kelly that probably shattered many bones and got impaled and one killed by another raptor).  JP3: The rex and probably the Pteranodon that got smashed by that cage.  JW: I can't recall how many Apatosaurs the Indominus killed for funsies, at least one Pteranodon was munched by the Mosasaur, and Charlie, Delta, and Echo.  And the Indominus, but that thing needed to be put out of its mutated misery.

You can add in all the "maybes" i did say  confirmed/shown deaths but dino deaths are still a minority...until that volcano blows!

dragon53

Colin Trevorrow commented on the third JURASSIC WORLD movie, "If I could contextualize each film, I would say JURASSIC WORLD was an action adventure, FALLEN KINGDOM is kind of a horror-suspense film, and JURASSIC WORLD 3 will be a science thriller in the same way that JURASSIC PARK was."

Syndicate Bias

Would've preferred if they had done a giganotosaurus or something similar instead of a mutated fiction dinosaur lile the indominus. Now this movie has the indo raptors. Might as well make an indo human to go with it then

Reptilia

Curious to see what they mean with horror-suspanse kind of movie.

CityRaptor

It's probably because of the Indoraptor stalking around the dark house mostly unseen. You know, like the first Alien movie.

Quote from: Syndicate Bias on April 22, 2018, 06:00:07 PM
Would've preferred if they had done a giganotosaurus or something similar instead of a mutated fiction dinosaur lile the indominus. Now this movie has the indo raptors. Might as well make an indo human to go with it then
Indohuman? Use human as the base genome, add dolphin, chimp, honey badger, wolverine, tasmanian devil, cat, wolf....and for good measure: platypus!

But it's interesting to note that the Indo-series was pretty much predicted 25 years ago.  In the "Making of Jurassic Park" book Chris Carter predicts in an interview that a succesful Jurassic Park would run for 10 years and then someone would turn it into a freakshow.  And of course 20 years ago, Jurassic Park: Chaos Effect first explored the idea of hybrids. It's actually the next logical step, given that all the animals in the park are hybrids to begin with.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Jose S.M.

I don't hate the concept of hybrids, but didn't like the way they executed it in JW, almost giving Indominus super powers. If it was more like altering it's apperance and some abilities not very unrealistic it would be better, like the Indominus had long arms so it could use them more than the Tyrannosaurus, that alone is a change due to it being a hybrid, and keeping it in somewhat realistic.
All dinosaurs were hybrids, that's true but they didn'd get all sort of crazy frog abilities and what they got (the sex changing abilitie) was unexpected, not like the Indominus when the genetist weree like "we want it to have horns so throw DNA from like 4 dinosaurs that had horns" and we want it to get adult size in a year so throw some invertebrate that grows quickly". If Indoraptor doesn't have super powers I might end up liking it as a whole and that probably help me enjoy FK more, well that is if the story is relatively well executed.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: CityRaptor on April 22, 2018, 09:42:27 PM
It's probably because of the Indoraptor stalking around the dark house mostly unseen. You know, like the first Alien movie.

Indohuman? Use human as the base genome, add dolphin, chimp, honey badger, wolverine, tasmanian devil, cat, wolf....and for good measure: platypus!

But it's interesting to note that the Indo-series was pretty much predicted 25 years ago.  In the "Making of Jurassic Park" book Chris Carter predicts in an interview that a succesful Jurassic Park would run for 10 years and then someone would turn it into a freakshow.  And of course 20 years ago, Jurassic Park: Chaos Effect first explored the idea of hybrids. It's actually the next logical step, given that all the animals in the park are hybrids to begin with.

I havent seen any of the director's other films but yeah I expect the same, hopefully a jump scare or two? 

Exactly, hybrids started with the first animal recreated.  I know I wasn't the only one reading the novel and having visions when Tim thought "  Teratogenic substances! Things that made monsters!"  or when Dr Wu was talking about just seeing what hatched out... lol 

Appalachiosaurus

I see this argument a lot and I don't really get it. Would you have really wanted JW to be exactly the same but with a Giganotosaurus instead? Would you have really prefered a super-powered Giga that's basically the Monsters Resurrected Spino tainting the name of the real animal by "killing for sport" and etc? If not, I assume that means you want to rewrite the script, but what can you do? Another JP3 but with a Giga instead of a Spino? How would you implement it to make it believable? Hybrids are kind of the next step in the series, I don't particularly want them to take over and i'd be happy if the Indoraptor is the last, but Jurassic World wouldn't work without it.

Quote from: Jose_S.M. on April 22, 2018, 10:10:56 PM
I don't hate the concept of hybrids, but didn't like the way they executed it in JW, almost giving Indominus super powers. If it was more like altering it's apperance and some abilities not very unrealistic it would be better, like the Indominus had long arms so it could use them more than the Tyrannosaurus, that alone is a change due to it being a hybrid, and keeping it in somewhat realistic.
All dinosaurs were hybrids, that's true but they didn'd get all sort of crazy frog abilities and what they got (the sex changing abilitie) was unexpected, not like the Indominus when the genetist weree like "we want it to have horns so throw DNA from like 4 dinosaurs that had horns" and we want it to get adult size in a year so throw some invertebrate that grows quickly". If Indoraptor doesn't have super powers I might end up liking it as a whole and that probably help me enjoy FK more, well that is if the story is relatively well executed.

I think you fell for Wu's lies. The Indominus was bred to be a war machine under the guise of being an attraction, all of its superpowers were intentional as it was the prototype for the next planned phase for the JP dinosaurs.

Syndicate Bias

Well sadly as much as id like a jp3 battle with a giganotosaurus. The fanbase would cry out for facts so the best way is to include a giganotosaurus pair in which the rex is able to kill both but at the cost of her own life. That way its balanced out

Appalachiosaurus

Quote from: Syndicate Bias on April 23, 2018, 05:17:47 PM
Well sadly as much as id like a jp3 battle with a giganotosaurus. The fanbase would cry out for facts so the best way is to include a giganotosaurus pair in which the rex is able to kill both but at the cost of her own life. That way its balanced out

That's not what I meant, I meant how would you implement the Giga in the story? How would you have written Jurassic World with a Giga instead of the Indominus? I don't care about another big theropod battle, what would you have done if you were in the director's chair?

Syndicate Bias

That's not what I understood from you. "I dont care about whatever rant you're on about"

Why not you explain how you wouldve done it then since you're a director apparently :)

Blade-of-the-Moon

Syndicate Bias, be careful with your comments there. 

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.