News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

JURASSIC WORLD: DOMINION

Started by dragon53, March 30, 2018, 06:46:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Appalachiosaurus

Quote from: Syndicate Bias on April 24, 2018, 01:04:32 AM
That's not what I understood from you. "I dont care about whatever rant you're on about"

Why not you explain how you wouldve done it then since you're a director apparently :)

Personally? I wouldn't put Giganotosaurus in the franchise, ever. We've got enough giant theropods, there are a long list of dinosaurs that deserve screen time a lot more.

Now, while I personally don't like the Indominus all that much, I do not think Jurassic World would have worked without it. In the original script, it was just an animal we had never discovered from fossils, but I much prefer it being an intentionally fictional creature. JW was a working theme park that held a T. rex for 10 years with complete safety, I would find it very hard to believe if a regular old Giganotosaurus could unravel all that, that's why the ridiculously intelligent super powered "Rex with thumbs" was needed. Now it could have been an "advanced" Giganotosaurus or something, but then laymen would associate the fictional parts with the real animal. I just think the arguments against the Indominus by saying it could just be any old theropod are coming more from disappointed fans who want to see their favorites on the big screen no matter how little sense it makes instead of an actual critique of the story (not dissing you personally of course, just this weird argument I see everywhere).

Syndicate Bias

I guess you make a good point. I am kinda dissapointed but then theres really no room for more giant theropods like you said unless its something fictional.

Reason why i disliked the indo is because it resembled the v rex from king kong which kinda seems like its very common to pitch that sort of look. Im sorry about earlier.

CityRaptor

Well, they always could have gone with something more exotic:

Of course the question is how believable that would be.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

The Atroxious

I assume by "that sort of look" you mean snaggletoothed? It's kind of funny because it was the snaggletoothed look that made me like the Indosaur design so much. I liked the snaggleteeth on the Papo running rex too, even though I'm really not a fan of the Tyrannosaurus genus, but the thing that prevented me from buying it was that the rest of the body looked mummified. I'd argue that the Indosaurs are just better examples of fictional dinosaurs than the Vastatosaurus ever was, though. (For some reason I always want to call those things Vastatosuchus and I have no idea why.)

Also, jeez, that fuchsia background hurts my eyes.

Blade-of-the-Moon

The kids love these hybrids though.  They still come to the park asking where my Indominus Rex is and a few are now asking about an Indoraptor..

Tylosaurus

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on April 25, 2018, 03:43:19 PM
The kids love these hybrids though.  They still come to the park asking where my Indominus Rex is and a few are now asking about an Indoraptor..
hey if that sells more tickets to your park, see it as a positive marketing advantage :)
Nothing wrong with that imo, as for Jurassic park & Jurassic World I love the franchise as much as I love Dino-Riders & Star Wars.

It's just a shame that many people complain that the accuracy of the dino's is lacking, as if JP & JW were made to be documentaries that have accurate dino's :X
The dino's are bio engineered animals, so as that goes accuracy has no need to play a role there anyway.

As the movies go acting isn't too bad JP 1993 & JW 2015 were to me the best of the series.
I really enjoyed em even that JP 2 & 3 weren't  fantastic they still offer great details on how other parts of the islands are like etc.

So yes i look forward to how JW:FK will be like and if a part 3 is really coming, I'm all in for that too :)
Only I wish the toys looked better, so far  the toys from JP;TLW from 1997 look the best, the Thrasher Rex being a good example.

CityRaptor

Well, compared to the stuff Hasbro gave us, they are a huge improvement, being on or near Kenner level.

Quote from: The Atroxious on April 25, 2018, 06:17:57 AM
Also, jeez, that fuchsia background hurts my eyes.

Well, it was the 90s. The actual toys used purple and orange packaging.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Syndicate Bias

Well responding to an earlier question regarding a giganotosaurus vs a rex look up that on youtube. Dino crisis 2 already made the mutated giga against a normal rex lol

The Atroxious

Quote from: Tylosaurus Rev.A2 on May 01, 2018, 06:53:04 PM
hey if that sells more tickets to your park, see it as a positive marketing advantage :)
Nothing wrong with that imo, as for Jurassic park & Jurassic World I love the franchise as much as I love Dino-Riders & Star Wars.

It's just a shame that many people complain that the accuracy of the dino's is lacking, as if JP & JW were made to be documentaries that have accurate dino's :X
The dino's are bio engineered animals, so as that goes accuracy has no need to play a role there anyway.

As the movies go acting isn't too bad JP 1993 & JW 2015 were to me the best of the series.
I really enjoyed em even that JP 2 & 3 weren't  fantastic they still offer great details on how other parts of the islands are like etc.

So yes i look forward to how JW:FK will be like and if a part 3 is really coming, I'm all in for that too :)
Only I wish the toys looked better, so far  the toys from JP;TLW from 1997 look the best, the Thrasher Rex being a good example.

I couldn't agree more. Well, except on the subject of toys. I don't typically like JP toys at all, but I digress.

The way I see it is that many other movies make up fictional beasts and get away with it with no complaints. I don't remember any complaints about Up featuring a fictional animal (an avian dinosaur no less) while questioning why they couldn't have just used a rhea or even a phorusrhacid because "real animals are always preferable to fictional animals".

Jurassic Park has always been about fictional animals. The whole plot of the original movie was about the unpredictability of resurrecting dinosaurs by splicing them with frogs, only to get a bunch of dinosaurs that function in a surprisingly froglike way because the scientists couldn't predict what the exact result would be. Even then, back when there was only one Jurassic Park, we had dinosaur/frog hybrids. Jurassic Park has never been about depicting realistic dinosaurs. It's about telling a gripping story (which has seen varying levels of success...or lack thereof) and I personally think it would be a bit silly if they suddenly decided to focus on accuracy instead.

Mini Minmi

I think the reason why people are annoyed at Jurassic Park's representation of innacurate dinosaurs is because of the huge influence it has on the public. I think people aren't annoyed at the fact they're fictional creatures, they're annoyed at the fact that it perpetrates unrealistic expectations/images in the public's eye of what a dinosaur is or should be.

While these movies are not documentaries, they often are the only/first contact a lot of the public has with those animals and therefore have a lot of influence over the general public's opinion of palaeontology. So when scientific evidence points in a different direction, it clashes and makes it more difficult for the public to believe it or take it seriously. And I think this is what rubs people the wrong way.

But I'm taking this away from the main thread's subject. Sorry. :)

Blade-of-the-Moon

That's true to a degree, though even the JP series couldn't stop all kids and parents calling every pterosaur they see a "pterodactyl" .   To change public perception you have to get the kids to learn it first.  They then pass it on to the adults. Parents here are always trying to keep up with their kids and their likes. 

There are some good youtube vids about where the JP franchise can go still.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cEvSw2oI8k

dragon53

Colin Trevorrow said JURASSIC WORLD 3 will go "back to the basics" and won't have any hybrid dinosaurs, "I'm looking forward to, in the third film, getting a little back into the Paleontological, wild animal, true dinosaur nature of all of it."

Blade-of-the-Moon

It might mean no new hybrids.   If it means none at all (chances are Wu is dead since he essential in creating them. )  we're left with a few more questions. What will it be about?  The dinosaurs spreading and taking over/merging with our current environment?  Where will we get breeding populations at?  A pair of each isn't much diversity if indeed they rescued more than one of each of these 11 species they keep on about ( the more I count the less I find it's true/unbelievable) .   Just a lot of complicated ideas..

Tylosaurus

Maybe the ending will be positive in a sense of that John Hammond's dream did eventually come out with proper protected enclosures making the park safe for visitors all years round?
Somehow I am hoping for something like this, for the final scene stages of the JP/JW series/franchise.

Also due in respect of John Hammond aka Richard Attenborough himself.
Personally I think this would be a very cool way to make closure to the series.

dragon53

A fan petition wants Universal Pictures to fire JURASSIC WORLD 3 director Colin Trevorrow and replace him with JA Bayona (JURASSIC WORLD: FALLEN KINGDOM).

"As long time fans of Jurassic Park and Jurassic World, we believe that director J. A. Bayona took an important step in the right direction with the franchise. After Fallen Kingdom, which ended up being a darker and more mature chapter than its predecessor, there would be no point in going back to Colin Trevorrow's uninspired style.

Trevorrow's firing from Star Wars: Episode IX, along with the low production value of his indie movie The Book of Henry and his communication mistakes during Fallen Kingdom's marketing campaign, is a testament to his inadequacy. He's proven himself unable to manage such a large and complex project. On the other hand, Bayona's directorial skill and sensitivity are clearly perceivable and could give us another great episode, driving the franchise towards excellence and setting up a bright future for our beloved dinosaurs.

Please, Universal, put J. A. Bayona in full control as director and writer of Jurassic World 3."

Flaffy

Sign me up for it.  ;)
Link?

John

Quote from: dragon53 on July 10, 2018, 05:15:40 PM
A fan petition wants Universal Pictures to fire JURASSIC WORLD 3 director Colin Trevorrow and replace him with JA Bayona (JURASSIC WORLD: FALLEN KINGDOM).

"As long time fans of Jurassic Park and Jurassic World, we believe that director J. A. Bayona took an important step in the right direction with the franchise. After Fallen Kingdom, which ended up being a darker and more mature chapter than its predecessor, there would be no point in going back to Colin Trevorrow's uninspired style.

Trevorrow's firing from Star Wars: Episode IX, along with the low production value of his indie movie The Book of Henry and his communication mistakes during Fallen Kingdom's marketing campaign, is a testament to his inadequacy. He's proven himself unable to manage such a large and complex project. On the other hand, Bayona's directorial skill and sensitivity are clearly perceivable and could give us another great episode, driving the franchise towards excellence and setting up a bright future for our beloved dinosaurs.

Please, Universal, put J. A. Bayona in full control as director and writer of Jurassic World 3."
I just have one question...
Is the toilet paper that the fan petition is written on one-ply or two?
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Gwangi

Since "Jurassic World" did better financially and critically I doubt we'll see that happen. Fallen Kingdom is getting consistently bad reviews, I've watched at least a half dozen reviews for it on Youtube, all negative. Personally, I think I preferred it over "Jurassic World", and I certainly liked it more than "The Lost World" or JP3, but that's just me, apparently.

Takama

Quote from: Gwangi on July 10, 2018, 05:48:53 PM
Since "Jurassic World" did better financially and critically I doubt we'll see that happen. Fallen Kingdom is getting consistently bad reviews, I've watched at least a half dozen reviews for it on Youtube, all negative. Personally, I think I preferred it over "Jurassic World", and I certainly liked it more than "The Lost World" or JP3, but that's just me, apparently.

Yes,   but I heard its now the number 1 movie in the world now acording to a TV spot.

Honestly, I dont want a Sequil to the second movie. I hated the direction they have taken.

Blade-of-the-Moon

It's the only non disney movie to do so well this year thus far. 

Honestly where could they have gone with it Takama?  I can't see anything else that really works.  So far this all ties in with Crichton's novel.  Hammond in the novel was under the belief that everyone was concerned these animals would escape the island, breed and end the world. Malcolm corrects him quickly saying that is not the case,  that we dont have that kind of power.  What might happen is we destroy ourselves..that we can control.

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.