News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Updated T. rex skull - W.I.P.

Started by Dinoreplicas, April 02, 2018, 01:38:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dinoreplicas

Reckon it's time to update my 3D printed Tyrannosaurus skull. I thought I'd try a W.I.P. thread to document the process.

The rex skull was my first Shapeways model and now it's looking a bit lacking compared to my other products which are available in multiple scales and have improved articulated jaw joints.
I've got this idea for additional parts so I can have a few product variations.

To start with-

1 - Tyrannosaurus skull (only) with hinged jaw.
2 - T. rex skull with additional neck vertebrae.
3 - T. rex foot (bones)

Then maybe later-

4 - Life restoration bust
5 - Half life restoration bust/half bones (Harvey Dent version!)

tyrantqueen

I like the half and half version. Depending on the scale, I might be interested in a copy.

dinosaurdungeon

I think the half and half is an awesome idea! I'm really looking forward to it!

Dinoreplicas

Reference assembled, production drawings underway.
Fortunately there's a lot more available reference these days including these free and legaly downloadable papers-

Osborn, 1906
Osborn, 1917
Brochu, 2003

There's also a 3D scan of the Trix specimen on Sketchfab, an excellent resource for viewing the bones in 3D. I'll be exploring this one a lot, zooming in and rotating around to see the exact shape of bones.
Link - https://sketchfab.com/models/8bb05194fb6d4c8a9afa3c61a58d47c7

Witmerlab have a lovely hi-res photo set of the Stan skull (BHI 3033).
link - https://people.ohio.edu/witmerl/collections/Theropods/tyrannosaurusstan.htm

And a ton of photo reference, museum displays etc., collected from the internet.

Dinoreplicas

Quote from: tyrantqueen on April 02, 2018, 02:08:43 PM
I like the half and half version. Depending on the scale, I might be interested in a copy.

For scales I'm thinking initially 1:16, 1:20, 1:24 and 1:32
Then adding 1:10 and 1:12 maybe just for the bone variants.

Dinoreplicas

Quote from: dinosaurdungeon on April 02, 2018, 04:29:09 PM
I think the half and half is an awesome idea! I'm really looking forward to it!

Thanks, I've had more positive feedback for this version than I was expecting.
I'll definitely have to do it.

Dinoreplicas

Always good to get away from computer and go analogue now and again.
1/10th is an nice easy drawing scale so a 1.52m long skull is 15.2 cm on the paper.

Proportions based on Stan, Trix and the AMNH skull.
This will be the main working drawing for the skull and the relative sizes and external features will be traced from it.

Dinoreplicas

Added medial view of lower jaw.
Sue's mandibles are much less crushed than the cranium so this view was drawn by studying the Brochu paper and also Witmerlab's Stan photos.

Dinoreplicas

I've been making a lot of sketches to familiarise myself with the structure of the skull, particularly the internal bones of the brain-case and the palette and how they connect to the inside surfaces of the exterior bones.

In addition to the other references I found there's an excellent 3D PDF of the stan skull you can download from Witmerlab. Link - https://people.ohio.edu/witmerl/3D-Visualization.htm

With Adobe Acrobat you can cross section the 3D model allowing you to see inside as you rotate and zoom around the details.
Most of the sketches are little more than scribbles and difficult to interpret but this one I developed a bit further. The drawings really help me to understand the shape in 3D and are essential to the sculpting process.

Mackeral

Mini Minmi

It's fascinating to see your study sketches. I'm going to enjoy this thread a lot. Thank you for sharing.

Dinoreplicas

Quote from: Mackeral on April 07, 2018, 08:17:40 PMTeriffic sketch!

Quote from: Mini Minmi on April 07, 2018, 08:51:03 PMIt's fascinating to see your study sketches. I'm going to enjoy this thread a lot. Thank you for sharing.

Thanks guys! I'm becoming a fan of making W.I.P.s
Some days I have a short attention span and I'm finding posting my progress helps me to keep focus and organise my thoughts.

Dinoreplicas

Dinoreplicas

Ventral view
Probably wraps it up for the skull sketches. I'll add more if I need the details.
Spent a lot of effort on this and need to pick up the pace or my (middle aged) attention span will sputter out. concentrate on neck next.

spinosaurus1

amazing progress. mind linking your shapeways shop?

Lone Trike

Quite some breathtaking skull replicas! I love your attention to detail! Also great sketches :D
May I ask about your experience with shapeways? I´ve only ordered some test prints and prototypes, I made last year, so far and was not that intrigued over all. But maybe I just used the wrong materials!
model kits available at: Instagram at LoneTrikeStudio Shapeways

Dobber

Fantastic sketches! I also like the Half/Half idea.

Chris
My customized CollectA feathered T-Rex
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=4326.0

Dinoreplicas

Quote from: spinosaurus1 on April 09, 2018, 08:01:39 PMamazing progress. mind linking your shapeways shop?
Thanks, here's some links:
Deviantart - https://strick67.deviantart.com/gallery/
Shapeways - https://www.shapeways.com/shops/bob-s-3d-stall
Twitter - https://twitter.com/Tarnyloo73

Quote from: Lone Trike on April 10, 2018, 10:35:25 AMI love your attention to detail! Also great sketches :D
Thanks. Most of the sketches will contribute to my 3D modelling template and the grid isn't just for drawing to scale.
It also helps me to line up the details orthographically in the various views.
QuoteMay I ask about your experience with Shapeways? I´ve only ordered some test prints and prototypes, I made last year, so far and was not that intrigued over all. But maybe I just used the wrong materials!
I've been ordering the cheap WSF material which is a little grainy but looks OK with a paint-job. I've had similar feedback from customers who have ordered my prints.
Another member on this forum recommended the HDA material (High Definition Acrylate) and I'll be probably try it out soon.

Quote from: Dobber on April 10, 2018, 09:41:28 PMFantastic sketches! I also like the Half/Half idea.
Thanks, I really want to do this one but by necessity it'll be last model completed.
I may have to do 2 versions to address the lipped Vs lipless - scaly Vs feathered theories.

Lone Trike

QuoteI've been ordering the cheap WSF material which is a little grainy but looks OK with a paint-job
That´s the one I used, too. I agree, the surface texture looks and feels a bit weird on some projects, but on the other hand it´s light and surprisingly durable. I´ve also tried printing with steel, but the piece turned out to have warped a little bit. I guess the good thing about shapeways is, you don´t have to worry about producing yourself. But then you never really know what they will send to the costumer.
model kits available at: Instagram at LoneTrikeStudio Shapeways

Dinoreplicas

Quote from: Lone Trike on April 13, 2018, 01:42:41 PMBut then you never really know what they will send to the costumer.

That's a fair point, of course there's both pros and cons to outsourcing production. If I was doing this more permanently I think I'd be looking for alternative manufacturing methods.
I admire those of you who do your own casting or 3D printing, just haven't got the time/space to do myself right now.

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.