News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

[ Results! ] The 2017 Dinosaur Diorama And Photography Contest!

Started by Kayakasaurus, August 30, 2017, 02:24:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halichoeres

Quote from: Neosodon on August 30, 2017, 08:02:24 PM
Quote from: Lanthanotus on August 30, 2017, 07:56:22 PM
and I like seeing a Permian themed entry winning for a second time in a row.
Well if it is after the Permian extinction it would technically be Triassic I think.  Does anyone no what species the synapsids are supposed to be?

I would guess Lystrosaurus, which is the textbook example of a disaster taxon, being very widespread and abundant in the immediate aftermath of the P-T.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

irimali

Wow!  Thanks to everyone who's commented on my entry (#20), and to Kayakasaurus for taking on this year's contest and to the other judges as well!  I'll be posting some other photos in my diorama thread shortly.

Quote from: Neosodon on August 30, 2017, 04:41:56 AM
#20 was a worthy winner. The lush plants sprouting up and synapsids foraging through the smoldering remains of a lifeless wasteland really sets the tone for the aftermath of the Permian extinction.

Thank you!  That's exactly what I was going for.  It's nice to hear that it all came across.  I always wonder how others will look at a photo without knowing what was in my head .  To answer your question, yes Halichoeres is correct, it is Lystrosaurus.  I tried to make lystrosaurus curvatus, which straddled the end permian and earliest triassic.   

irimali

Also I'd like to give praise to a few of my favorites:

#15. I'm not on the menu today
I really like this one.  The Saurolophis watching from it's hiding spot, the way the distant action is framed, the color palette and the soft focus reminds me of some of the better illustrations from dinosaur books when i was a kid. 

28. Parched
Really nice combination of miniature foreground and real background.  Also, props for taking a resting-on-one-hand-for-support theropod figure and making it look like you caught the animal in the middle of a natural motion. 

18. Sensing a Disturbance in the Forest
This was one of my overall favorites so glad to see it win. 

You all know I love dinosaurs in terrariums.  Hope to see more!

A.Garcia

Congratulations to the other winners. It's an honor to get recognition among so many creative pictures. Thanks Kayakasaurus and judges for making the contest possible. :D  Again this year, it was fun to see all the variety and everyone's pictures had their own points of interest. :)

The Battat Parasaurolophus has been a special figure in my collection for a long time, so I'm glad the diorama image worked out. The young one is the 2016 Dinosaur Expo figure by Kaiyodo. I think they go fairly well together, with similar-colored eyes, beak, and yellowish tone. With only one of each figure, I had to add in the foreground and background dinosaurs from other photos taken at the time. The tree on the left is a small branch stuck in the ground. My idea was that the young dinosaurs may be surviving independently, but staying close to the adults for added protection and access to more food. Upon sensing something they have all stopped feeding to raise their heads and listen.

I'll plan to leave another comment soon on some of the entries that interested me most.

Federreptil

Quote from: Mr. Challenger on August 30, 2017, 12:47:41 PM
Happy to see my pic into the honorable mentions!
Mine was a little difficult to categorize because I made the diorama only with the water reflection idea on mind, so I don´t show the rest of it in the picture. The diorama has a big hole, so I put a tray with colored water under it to create the pond. The background painture creates the illusion of the sky reflected in the water and...that's all. Natural lighting and no photoshop, only a bit of contrast and saturation correction  ^-^

Hope you liked it :)

Oh yes I like it very much! It's amazing to see, how pure and reduced a diorama can built, if every detail is so well planned and perfect executed. Also a a very short and precice report of the making-of as the final result. Thank you for sharing this.

Bokisaurus

Congratulations to all of the winners, very well deserved wins! I'm constantly impressed by the professional level of these dioramas! Congrats as well for the honorable mentions. Great job everyone! :)

Carnosaur

My piece, The Shield Bearer.
Was inspired by the stegosaurus scene in WWD. :)

ZoPteryx

Tylosaurus

Major congrats to all the winners, all the energy and time you put in to just making those diorama sets, amazes me every time, keep doing what you guys do best! 8)
Hereby I salute o7

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.