Author Topic: A look back to when collecting Dino-Riders was a thing.  (Read 599 times)

Tylosaurus Rev.A2

• Cathay Pacific B747-267B "VR-HKG" J-Fox - 1:200
    • View Profile
    • Info & Collections of Dinosaurs & Minerals
  • Dinosaur: "Novaraptor innatus" as Jedi Master Aeragon
  • v.1 status and posts: 151
A look back to when collecting Dino-Riders was a thing.
« on: May 01, 2018, 02:43:12 PM »
Hey all :)

Earlier today I kind of had memories from what it was like when collecting Dino-riders toys are a major thing.
Also long before use DR fans merged with the DTF forums, our old forum can be seen here:
http://dinoridersmessageboard.yuku.com
That old place seems to be removed as of now.

The thing I enjoyed most was seeing all the diorama's DR collectors made and had, there were some very cool ones around.
So with this topic I am hoping to review a few of these collections, if not all and how they look like today.

Earlier this afternoon I sent an email to Ted Neos the owner of the DR website, so he can update my old gallery there, kinda miss talking with Ted as well, he and I were friends since I was the first to have my collection uploaded to his website many years back.
He really helped me complete my collection, also by helping me find missing pieces and such, but also talking about never seen before things and yeah I miss that a huge lot.

Here the page for the Dino-Riders Collection Galleries:
http://www.dinoridersworld.com/fanfare-collections.html

So with this thread I am hoping to bring back memories that us Dino-Riders Collectors experienced and what were your best finds during your collecting days of Dino Riders based toys?
My best day was when I saved up 22 weeks for the Brontosaurus with Serena Ace & Ion.
I used to collect aluminum cans from beaches and garbage bins and bring these cans to the Aluminum recycling companies to trade the metals in to money did this 22 weeks long saved up a good 165 Australian Dollars and bought the DR Brontosaurs at World of Toys in Perth Western Australia back on July 26 of 1989, especially carrying that 1 meter (3.3 feet) long box around as a little guy was so amazing it felt godlike in many ways...
This is  the one thing I will never ever forget and then other kids look at it as in wow did you just BUY that!!!! hah!  ;D :))

That were great yet golden times and here it stands within my completed DR collection:

Hereby I look forward to your replies and reactions  8)
« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 03:08:29 PM by Tylosaurus Rev.A2 »

Lanthanotus

• Reviewer
  • Silurian survivor
    • View Profile
Re: A look back to when collecting Dino-Riders was a thing.
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2018, 03:34:23 PM »
Woah, my greatest respect for that wonderfull idea and strong-willed and patient approach on buying that monster of a toy. There's definetly worse places in the world to collect garbage than WA beaches (been there, want to go again), but I can hardly imagine the ammount of cans one needs to collect to save up that much money.

I never was a DR collector but sure admired the figures, though they were financially out of my reach and my parents would never had jumped in on such things. However, the toy that got my greatest attention was the Pterosaur (I did not care for the equipment or human/aline figures). As that luckily was the smallest set in the line my save up time was limited and I spent the 15 Deutsche Mark, though a bit regretfull as I felt somewhat ripped to pay that amount for a "dinosaur" figure that came with a lot of stuff I did not want at all....

Tylosaurus Rev.A2

• Cathay Pacific B747-267B "VR-HKG" J-Fox - 1:200
    • View Profile
    • Info & Collections of Dinosaurs & Minerals
  • Dinosaur: "Novaraptor innatus" as Jedi Master Aeragon
  • v.1 status and posts: 151
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2018, 04:53:04 PM »
Many thanks for your kind words Lanthanotus :)

Well that extra stuff is what made the DR's so different, the futuristic armore that came with them the background story it all was a very original idea back in th late 1980's
It was different and very original for it's time and that made it attractive for me , as a big fan of Star Wars & Dinosaurs it was a solution that offered best of both worlds ina single package.

The dino toys them self look great when it came to DR series 2.
The DR  Kentrosaurus from DR Series 2 from 1988 was for it 's time the most accurate Kentrosaurus toy around and it stayed that for a very long time as well.
Here a good review made by Paleona of it at the Dinosaur Toy Blog:
http://dinotoyblog.com/2015/10/02/kentrosaurus-tyco/

Quite the masterpiece it's self :)
« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 03:02:01 PM by Tylosaurus Rev.A2 »

brandem

• this is gonna be good, it's gonne be worth it
    • View Profile
  • Dinosaur: epidexipteryx
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2018, 07:11:31 PM »
I love these guys, still have them on display in my computer room, Valorians to one side and rulons to the other + a smattering of the tyco Smithsonian line and Cadillacs and dinosaurs to give them historical context.

Still hate that I never got my hands on a brontosaurus or a pachyrhinosaurus, only two that I miss.

Still think it needs a rebooted toyline or spiritual successor, canít go wrong with dinosaurs, lasers, alien warfare, and general 80s out-there-ness