News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Controversial opinions on dinosaur toys

Started by Ravonium, May 21, 2018, 07:39:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ravonium

Note: I only intend this thread for the discussion of controversial opinions regarding dinosaur toys.

Does anyone here have any unpopular opinions relating to dinosaur toys they'd like to share?

John

The opinions here seem to be so varied that it's hard to tell what is really popular or not right now.So I'm not sure there really is such a thing as an unpopular opinion of liking any particular model,toy,or whatever.
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Lanthanotus

My unpopular opinion is, that the JP/JW franchise is overrated and does not deserve such attention..... but then, it's just movies and toys (and mugs, t-shirts, magazines, socks......:D) and neither doesn't hurt me nor others. So it's okay when those enjoy it and I am not forced to do so :) ..... just a shame when paleontological uneducated folks think, that JP/JW is what dinosaurs were in real life (and those are out there).

postsaurischian

Quote from: Lanthanotus on May 21, 2018, 09:28:24 AM
..... just a shame when paleontological uneducated folks think, that JP/JW is what dinosaurs were in real life (and those are out there).

Fun fact is that actually both are out there - the uneducated folks AND the Dinosaurs / birds ;D .

Lanthanotus

Quote from: postsaurischian on May 21, 2018, 09:41:42 AM
Quote from: Lanthanotus on May 21, 2018, 09:28:24 AM
..... just a shame when paleontological uneducated folks think, that JP/JW is what dinosaurs were in real life (and those are out there).

Fun fact is that actually both are out there - the uneducated folks AND the Dinosaurs / birds ;D .

Haha, you're indeed right... should have written it somewhat more clear :D

BrontoScorpio

ITdactyl

'Might be slightly off topic, but I've always wished for dinobots that transform into sleeker, more modern looking "dinosaurs"... But a lot of transformers fans prefer they keep their kaijuesque 1980's forms.

DragonRider02

Quote from: ITdactyl on May 21, 2018, 01:21:23 PM
'Might be slightly off topic, but I've always wished for dinobots that transform into sleeker, more modern looking "dinosaurs"... But a lot of transformers fans prefer they keep their kaijuesque 1980's forms.
Yeah! I really want to See Quadropedal Swoop!

Ravonium

Quote from: ITdactyl on May 21, 2018, 01:21:23 PM

I'd say that's relevant enough to this thread.

Anyways, I'll just share some of my opinions (that I perceive to be unpopular based on what I've read)

• I kind of like the 'war paint' colour schemes on CollectA ceratopsians (from a creative point of view). I don't think they're amazing per se, but I think they give the figures character. There are worse paint schemes from CollectA.
  • On figures, I prefer overly static poses to overly dynamic poses.
  • With a few exceptions*, I don't like Yowie figures. The commoness of obscure figures in that line doesn't make up for them being too overly cartoony for my taste.
  • I don't care for any figure related to JP/JW or another movie franchise.
And finally...

• Dinosaur action figures only work for me if the dinosaur in question is already stylised. For this reason, I don't care for either of the BOTM lines.

The main exception to this I've seen is the Anomalocaris on Faelrin's profile picture. That figure, in my opinion, manages to be on the edge between being realistic and being cartoony.

Shonisaurus

Honestly what I do not like is dinosaurs and prehistoric animals with articulated or elastic body parts like jaws, arms, legs. That's what I mean collectible figures or more adult toy.

I do not mean the dinosaurs of JP, Mattel, Lego, Kaiyodo (three last tyrannosaurs of which I am going to be a sure buyer) nor the dinosaurs of Play Movil. What are magnificent companies and for that they are destined those marks to educate and to entertain the smallest ones and even to collectors who love these figures to them.

I like static figures more. I know that is not popular among many members of the forum but in my case I express my opinion, I respect what companies like Papo, Collecta and to a greater extent Rebor do but I do not share the fact that articulated parts of the body including jaws to theropods. I think it spoils the figure and in my case it is less attractive since such jaws due to the heat, the changes to another house or site for any circumstance are ruined and the same is true of the rest of the prehistoric articulated animals.

Jose S.M.

I have some preferences that might be different to what other people thinks but I'm not sure how unpopular they are overall.

I don't care about articulated jaws, not even in theropods. Bit at the same time I don't like when the jaws are opened too wide.

I prefer kind of static or peaceful poses, like walking or standing while looking around, my favorite kind of poses are like the Safari Nasutoceratops, that's just walking. I don't mind the "surprised"poses of some figures as long as they are not too exaggerated, this was the reason I never got Papo's Styracosaurus, really fine sculpt but it doesn't look surprised,it looks terrified to me, poor thing. I dislike and try to avoid figures of theropods leaning down, that's why I didn't got the Safari Suchomimus and why I'm still debating about Papo Ceratosautus and Acrocanthosaurus, I'm pretty sure I'll get Acro but just because I want a big one and don't think another better is coming soon.

And I don't personally care about paintjobs too much nowadays. I prefer a simple coloration than anything too complicated like the warpaint on Collecta. And don't mind drab coloration, some dinosaurs might have been colorful and others don't. Small errors on the application are not a real big deal to me, most of my figures are small toys under $12, if they were $60+ that's a bit different but I feel like a got pretty great products for their price.

tyrantqueen

QuoteWith a few exceptions*, I don't like Yowie figures. The commoness of obscure figures in that line doesn't make up for them being too overly cartoony for my taste.

I don't like them either.

Here are my opinions:

-I don't like glass eyes on toys or resin kits
-I don't care about Jurassic Park toys
-I have never liked the Invicta line
-I don't like paintjobs that are copied completely from real animals, some inspiration is OK.

I actually have kind of a love/hate relationship with sauropod toys. I think they can looking amazing but I hate how much space they take up, especially in bigger sizes.

Jose S.M.

Now that eyes were mentioned I remembered another thing that I think some people appreciate but I don't, when the eyes are painted all black, like some CollectA's. I get that sometimes the eye is too small, and that aplying shiny black paint might make the eye look, well... shiny, but I don't like that.

Another one I just remembered, this might be a very unpopular one hehe but I will prefer the Battat Maiasaura and Ouranosaurus rather than the Diplodocus anytime. It's nothing against Dippy but it's species has some good representatives.

Nimravus

Ha ha, likes and dislikes are so varied! The most important thing is to respect others' likes! From my personal point of view:
-I don't mind about articulated parts! I think that those articulated parts (jaws, arms, legs, ...) make the toy enjoyable, especially for kids who love moving these parts. If we are talking about pieces for collection, made of resin, or another brittle material, I would say that the lesser, the better.
-I don't really like the JP/JW/Dino bots lines. To be honest I don't have a clear reason why, but I don't collect any, unless I personally think it is really beautiful figure.
- Although lately I am tending to buy some old fashioned stuff, let's say AAA, I don't really like the static pose given to the old pieces. I fully understand that it comes from a nineteenth century approach, and sometimes we are missing the old times, but I love how paleontology has developed in the last 50 years, it is almost a brand new science compared with the one from the eighties. Of course I have some exceptions, such as Invicta, which I think it has resisted perfectly how time passes by.
- Finally, I don't like minis. I think they are too rough.

Patrx

Firstly, neat idea for a thread; it seems maybe some of our "unpopular opinions" are more popular than we might think! Secondly, thanks to everybody for not being argumentative or defensive about this stuff. We can all agree to have varied and even opposing opinions without squabbling, and that's just one of the things that makes this community great  :D

What are my least-popular opinions about dinosaur toys? Hmm. I don't care if my figures are to scale with one another. I like bases on bipeds. Or on anything, really. That way the pose can be varied, and the foot anatomy can be correct! Similarly, I mostly don't care for articulation. I think these are related concerns - basically, I like dinosaurs more than I like toys. I only buy toy versions because resin statues are expensive, fragile, and harder to get! Apart from that, I dislike dinosaur art that's specifically designed to look scary or tough, and I'm more likely to be interested in a figure that defies the depictions of dinosaurs from my childhood than one that matches them. Finally, and this is a little embarrassing, but I think big allosauroids like Acrocanthosaurus and Carcharadontosaurus are probably the least interesting dinosaurs to me. Still interesting, because, well, they're dinosaurs, but I'm more intrigued by other taxa.

Shonisaurus

Totally in agreement with Patrx in many things that he comments on.

I do not care about scales on dinosaurs.

I like the theropods or bipedal animals with a fixed base.

I like dinosaurs and non-fragile prehistoric animals, PVC, vinyl for example.

On the other hand I prefer big sauropods like Battat's diplodocus (beautiful figure to no longer be able) or the brachiosaurus of Carnegie, Safari and even Schleich (last version of Humbold) to give some examples.

John

I don't know how unpopular or not anything really is as I said before,but:
I prefer there not be any moving parts on models like closeable jaws,though it' not a deal breaker if something I like happens to have that feature (CollectA's Dimorphodon comes to mind)
I don't mind if the tip of the tail touches down on the ground as a third point of support for bipedal dinosaurs like theropods for balance,but a fixed base is the best solution of all.
Models do not have to be all in one scale.
My favorite models for the last two years have all been generally in the larger size (Safari Ltd's 2017 Tyrannosaurus,Kronosaurus,Giganotosaurus and Diplodocus and 2018 Amargasaurus/CollectA's 2017 Deluxe scaled Dimorphodon,Styracosaurus,Kronosaurus and Uintatherium and 2018 Iguanodon,Ceratosaurus,Mapusaurus ect.)
While I do appreciate good resin models,I prefer the PVC and vinyl ones as they are less delicate and I don't have to do the painting as much.
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Paleona

Interesting to see everyone's likes and dislikes~ if everyone enjoyed the exact same things, life would be very dull. So here are some of mine:

+I don't care for a lot of Papo's newer models- they're beautifully detailed, but the action poses aren't for me.
+I like dinosaur toys and figures with creative and bright color schemes! Realistic colors are nice and all, but I appreciate when artistic liberties are taken, too.
+As others have said, I don't care about scale.
+Pterosaurs are cool, but I'm not interested in figures of them for whatever reason.

IrritatorRaji

Not really sure how many of these are considered "unpopular", but for me...

• Scale doesn't matter
  • Bases ruin a figure for me (unless it's detachable)
  • Speaking of bases, CollectA make the worst bases
  • Being scientifically inaccurate does not automatically make it a bad figure
  • I hate figures that are solid brown. I know, for some species, it's more scientifically accurate, but I just really don't like boring brown dinosaurs (CollectA's new Sciuruminus is a good example of that)
  • Schleich isn't that bad

Halichoeres

In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.