News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Controversial opinions on dinosaur toys

Started by Ravonium, May 21, 2018, 07:39:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reptilia

I like Rebor.

Paleona

Quote from: IrritatorRaji on May 21, 2018, 11:02:06 PM
    • Bases ruin a figure for me (unless it's detachable)
    • Being scientifically inaccurate does not automatically make it a bad figure

100% agree with these. I actually like a lot of chinasaurs and others that are very inaccurate, for either their charm, nostalgia, or aesthetic alone.

Primeval12

Faelrin

I honestly don't know if I really have any unpopular opinions on dinosaur toys. I mean maybe the fact I like the Hasbro JW Ankylosaurus because I find the tail action fun. I know I don't mind my figures exactly to scale, but all the same I do like when there is a sense of scale of some kind. I also like articulated figures, because it gives me something to fiddle around with when I'm bored, but I don't 'require' it to be there for me to want/like a figure enough to get it (case in point, all the Safari Ltd figures I own). I don't care for permanently fixed bases either, unless they look really nicely done (aka creating an environmental scene), though I do understand why they exist.

Edit: Honestly I kind of agree with the Tyrannosaurus is boring thing, even though I still like Tyrannosaurus. I find some other theropods more enjoyable/interesting, such as Carnotaurus now. If I had to guess, it's probably because it has become vanilla to me, or plain, after so long, and becoming so familiar with it, and short arms and size alone, it doesn't have any extra 'features' like some other theropods out there (outdated feathered renditions aside). Honestly I suppose the same applies to Triceratops for me too, even though I still quite like it and the recent integument findings on it.
    Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
    http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
    https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
    https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Pachyrhinosaurus

I really don't care much at all for Procon Collecta. I did buy a few figures around 2011/2012 but for the rest I just don't like the style/aesthetic of them.

Also not a fan of PNSO. They just seem to lack character to me, even if the sculpts are objectively good.

I do really like Marx prehistorics though. I didn't think they were so unpopular until I noticed how little they're brought up on the forum and how few I see in collection threads.
    Artwork Collection Searchlist
    Save Dinoland USA!

Jose S.M.

Quote from: primeval12 on May 22, 2018, 01:07:34 AM
    Quote from: Halichoeres on May 21, 2018, 11:05:56 PM
    Tyrannosaurus is boring.

Agreed!

Agreed, I don't find giant theropods all that appealing actually and I started to like Tyrannosaurus and it's kind better when feathered renditions became popular, now there's not certainty of that... They might fall into the meh category for me again hehehe. I still get toys of those giant theropods because I like to have all groups represented.  On the other side I like some "boring" dinosaurs very much, the basic ornithopods, no need for crest for me to love them.

ITdactyl

The main issue of bipedal dinosaur figures - standing without falling over

Standing is a balancing act, and is actually very dynamic (despite being considered a static pose).  There is no way a top heavy theropod figure will be able to hold a standing pose without support.  So I welcome all the methods used by the manufacturers - be it a forced tripod (with the tail or an arm as support), "clown feet", plastic support rods or a base (permanent, removable, plain or diorama) - to keep the figures standing.

--------------

On a different note, I wish manufacturers would stop making Rexy their basis for scale.  The Rex is always the biggest figure, and everything else is scaled with it - to the point where a lot of people don't realize a Rex is SMOL(TM) compared to most sauropods.

Shonisaurus

I like many dinosaurs and prehistoric animals of Recur. I think they're great.

I do not care that dinosaurs and prehistoric animals are not made to scale.

tanystropheus

I don't believe in 'voting with one's dollars'. I think it is an idiotic, self-serving strategy that borders upon neuroticism.

Shonisaurus

Quote from: tanystropheus on May 22, 2018, 11:57:59 AM
    I don't believe in 'voting with one's dollars'. I think it is an idiotic, self-serving strategy that borders upon neuroticism.

I totally agree with you.

I prefer dinosaurs as they say "good, nice and cheap". A relatively affordable dinosaur is often better than the best toy dinosaurs of the moment. The low price and quality are not at odds.

PumperKrickel

deleted

suspsy

I think that bases are the best way to nip stability issues in the bud.

I also think Papo toys have become rather redundant.
    IMG_0123 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

tanystropheus

Quote from: SuperiorSpider on May 22, 2018, 01:09:40 PM

You think that supporting companies I like and want more produts of is an idiotic strategy?  ???

Quite the opposite. Of course, you support companies by buying their products. However, actively protesting against a certain company to the point of anthropomorphism, is bizarre, to say the least.

tanystropheus

Quote from: suspsy on May 22, 2018, 01:10:37 PM

I also think Papo toys have become rather redundant.

Redundant in what sense? There's a lot of species that haven't been covered. Or do you mean that Papos aren't really toys and should be categorized with maquettes and stuff?

Patrx

Pretty strong terminology there; I'm sure you don't mean to imply that anyone here is an idiot. Also, do please stay on-topic, this assertion is too broad to be considered an opinion about dinosaur toys in particular.

Jose S.M.

I don't think that not buying a product for a company that for whatever reason you don't like is idiotic, it would be the logical thing to do. But I do think that with some companies we know by now what to expect so keep pressing them for other things is kind of redundant. I'm talking about one company in particular, everybody knows which one probably.

Sim

Some of the things people have said in this thread gave me a laugh!  I don't know how unpopular these opinions I have are, but here goes:

- I like seeing the teeth on carnivorous theropod figures.  So, I tend to not mind if their mouth is open, or if they are reconstructed without lips.  I think lips look better on some theropods than others.  For the record, I personally think it's likely lips could have been widespread in toothed theropods, although there are a few I doubt had lips e.g. spinosaurids.

- I find very outdated reconstructions (for instance tail dragging dinosaurs, or dromaeosaurids/oviraptorosaurs/troodontids that lack the feathers they should have) boring, unappealing, and completely inferior to the modern understanding of these animals.

- I agree with IrritatorRaji and Paleona here, permanently attached bases ruin a figure for me.  I also think permanent bases are not the best way to keep a figure standing as evidenced by the many posts on this forum where members have said figures on permanent bases they own have drooped.

- Another thing that spoils a figure for me is when food is permanently attached to the animal.

- The poses I prefer on dinosaur figures are walking or running (or flying if it's a species that could fly), and then standing.  I dislike poses where the animal is rearing up or bent down.  I agree with Jose_S.M. about the bent down pose of the newer Safari Suchomimus playing a part in me not getting that figure.  The worst poses for me though are where the animal is resting on the ground (e.g. CollectA Daspletosaurus), fortunately these are not often done.  I also dislike weird poses, which seem to often be present in Papo's prehistoric figures.

- I generally dislike Papo's prehistoric figures.  One reason for this is I find a number of them lack a sense of purpose in their expression, I think this seems to be more present in the not very recent Papos than the newer ones.

- I'm in agreement with others in this thread here, Tyrannosaurus is boring.

Quote from: Patrx on May 21, 2018, 09:01:37 PM
    Finally, and this is a little embarrassing, but I think big allosauroids like Acrocanthosaurus and Carcharadontosaurus are probably the least interesting dinosaurs to me. Still interesting, because, well, they're dinosaurs, but I'm more intrigued by other taxa.

This made me laugh!  I can relate to this.  I also find it a bit embarrassing that there are some types of dinosaurs that I don't find interesting beyond, like you said, being dinosaurs.  For me the least interesting dinosaurs are generally the ceratopsians, hadrosauroids, allosauroids and tyrannosauroids, as well as some less popular types of dinosaurs.

Takama

"I think that some species are Obligitory for toy lines, Species like Parasaurolophus, T.Rex, Brachiosaurus, are Obligatory".   

Loon

Quote from: Takama on May 22, 2018, 07:24:23 PM
    "I think that some species are Obligitory for toy lines, Species like Parasaurolophus, T.Rex, Brachiosaurus, are Obligatory".
    Get on it Mattel.

Reptilia

Scientific accuracy is overrated.

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.