News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Controversial opinions on dinosaur toys

Started by Ravonium, May 21, 2018, 07:39:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Libraraptor

Quote from: Stolpergeist on July 15, 2020, 11:35:46 PM
Not sure how controversial it is to say the Schleich Baryonyx is overrated, it's extremely wonky, especially the legs.
I wouldn't say EoFauna is overpriced, the price range for EoFauna models is similar to larger Schleich and Safari Ltd. figures when you buy them in Europe, what makes me wonder is why American retailers tend to double the price.
I'd assume to compensate for shipping costs?

It is in no way controversial. Although new Schleich Baryonyx does have its supporters here, I still don´t think it´s a good figure either.
As to the EoFauna figures, no idea, but yes, the shipping costs to the US are horrendous at the moment.

EmperorDinobot

Chap Mei dinosaurs deserve love even though they generally suck...

suspsy

Rebor and Nanmu will never be truly great companies until they stop relying on ripped off Jurassic Park designs for the bulk of their products.
IMG_0123 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

Halichoeres

Quote from: Sim on July 15, 2020, 06:58:04 PM
Spinosaurus is boring.

Personally, I think it's the least boring spinosaurid. But maybe that's just because at least sometimes the figures come with fish.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Sarapaurolophus

Not sure how controversial this is but I enjoy small scale figures way more than big "center pieces". Not just because of the shelf space issue but because I just feel small figs have more collectability. Its easier to store and transport them, display them and overall enjoy them.
I love my Papo Spino but she is too damn big.

Quote from: Halichoeres on July 20, 2020, 05:10:39 PM
Quote from: Sim on July 15, 2020, 06:58:04 PM
Spinosaurus is boring.

Personally, I think it's the least boring spinosaurid. But maybe that's just because at least sometimes the figures come with fish.

Priorties ;)

CityRaptor

Well, there are a lot people here addicted to Kaiyodos, but yeah, even other small figures can be very charming. So it is probably not controversal. Samll is also how I prefer Retrosaurs...despite having a large Revell T.rex, which is pretty much the opposite.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Loon

It's 4am, I haven't slept, and this isn't necessarily about toys, but definitely related to our community and probably pretty hyperbolic...

Sooooo...I cannot stand this nickname crap... "Giga", "Spino", "Rex". IT'S NOT THAT HARD TO TYPE OUT THE WHOLE NAME!!!

Seriously, some of them don't even sound right: "Tricera", "Veloci", and most recently "Paracera"... Like, go ahead and type "Dimorpho" all you want, more power to you; but, that doesn't mean I have to like it.

TethysaurusUK

I have two. The CollectA Metriacanthosaurus was the best CollectA figure of that year. The Safari Ltd. Giganotosaurus from 2017 is overrated.

Cretaceous Crab

Quote from: Loon on October 12, 2020, 12:31:50 PM
It's 4am, I haven't slept, and this isn't necessarily about toys, but definitely related to our community and probably pretty hyperbolic...

Sooooo...I cannot stand this nickname crap... "Giga", "Spino", "Rex". IT'S NOT THAT HARD TO TYPE OUT THE WHOLE NAME!!!

Seriously, some of them don't even sound right: "Tricera", "Veloci", and most recently "Paracera"... Like, go ahead and type "Dimorpho" all you want, more power to you; but, that doesn't mean I have to like it.

Now, I feel a strange compelling urge to start a thread listing all potential nicknames and abbreviations for all popular prehistoric creatures.

Shonisaurus

Honestly, one of the giganotosaurus that I like the most is the Vitae brand, for me it is perhaps the best giganotosaurus on the market.

On the other hand I like genetically modified dinosaur-monsters based on JW, Nanmu's giganotosaurus and W-Dragon.

Jose S.M.

About Giganotosaurus the one I think it's overrated and dislike is the Vitae. There's something about it completely off putting to me.

Stegotyranno420

Oh crap, i feel guilty

SidB

Beware of the 4 am hour - it's fraught with peril!

Libraraptor

Between 3 and 4 am is a time when I am most vulnerable to getting tangled up in any kind of brain self-stimulation. Nothing I think in this hour makes sense, everything seems potentially dangerous and I tend towards ridicously overestimating every bad thought I have.

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: Shonisaurus on October 12, 2020, 02:01:00 PM
Honestly, one of the giganotosaurus that I like the most is the Vitae brand, for me it is perhaps the best giganotosaurus on the market.

On the other hand I like genetically modified dinosaur-monsters based on JW, Nanmu's giganotosaurus and W-Dragon.
[/b]
Funny thing is that those two figures are based,/ very close to the real animal, only wih a few extra speculative features, like black crest(W dragon)

CityRaptor

Actually, the more common nickname for Triceratops is Trike.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Shonisaurus

Quote from: Stegotyranno on October 12, 2020, 06:12:16 PM
Quote from: Shonisaurus on October 12, 2020, 02:01:00 PM

[/b]
Funny thing is that those two figures are based,/ very close to the real animal, only wih a few extra speculative features, like black crest(W dragon)

I know the Eofauna and PNSO giganosaurus are more authentic from a scientific point of view, but in my case I like the Vitae one better for a reason it is much larger than those two giganotosaurus and I am honestly attracted by its big head. It seems to me the best giganotosaurus among other things because of its large size and it is honestly superior to other figures such as Papo, Bullyland and Schleich to give three examples.

On the other hand, I like Nanmu's giganotosaurus more than W-Dragon's giganotosaurus, W-Dragon's I see a little squat judging by the photographs shown in the DTF.

Note: I understand the disapproving words of many DTF members but I have to be honest in the case of giganotosaurus.

Loon

Quote from: CityRaptor on October 12, 2020, 06:17:23 PM

Oh, I know. That one was meant to be an example the ones that don't even work.

Also, I probably shouldn't have but the "4am" thing in there. This is not a weird thought for me, I genuinely feel this way all day.

Sim

avatar_Loon @Loon I've only used shortened names very rarely, and when I have it was because I thought people might be tired of reading the animal's full name again.  I didn't think it might upset someone.

Quote from: Loon on October 12, 2020, 07:05:16 PM
Quote from: CityRaptor on October 12, 2020, 06:17:23 PM
[...] Seriously, some of them don't even sound right: "Tricera" [...]

Oh, I know. That one was meant to be an example the ones that don't even work.

Also, I probably shouldn't have but the "4am" thing in there. This is not a weird thought for me, I genuinely feel this way all day.

I've always disliked using Trike to refer to Triceratops.  It's not really shortening of its name, and Triceratops isn't a tricycle.  "Tricera" sounds much better and at least makes sense.

stargatedalek

For me it's all about context. If I'm talking in short fast messages, such as chat functions in a game, I'll use shorthand. Or sometimes I'll use it when talking about dinosaurs within the context of specific games or pop culture franchises. Sometimes I may use it in other places by accident though, I'm sure.

The point of shorthand is to make something shorter, so "Tricera" to me is a lot more annoying than "Trike" because Trike can at least serve as shorthand, while Tricera is still a whole three syllables and almost as long as just writing Triceratops. I've never seen Veloci or Paracera, but those seem similarly obnoxious and pointless. That's just inventing slang terms for the sake of having them.

As an example in ARK people typically use Paracer (-atherium) to differentiate from Parasaur (-olophus), Dimo or Dimorph (-odon) to differentiate from Dime (-trodon), but shorthand is only ever as long as needed to differentiate animals, never longer for the sake of sounding more like the original. And most of the time I'd say this works well, aside from coel as coelacanth, because it's gotten people to start pronouncing it "coal", even though pronouncing it "seal" would be so much better.

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.