News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Members' Signatures

Started by BrontoScorpio, May 28, 2018, 06:41:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrontoScorpio

This bothered me quite a bit, even before I bacame member -
But, as a guest, the only thing I could do was to just suck it up and learn to live with it.

Now, I think it has to be said :
I DON'T THINK IT IS APPROPRIATE FOR MEMBERS TO USE SIGNATURES !
As I am logged in - I can see members discussions line after line easily -
but, as a guest - after every comment from a members there appears his/her signature -
It is really tiring to read 1 line of comment and then 10 lines of signature and a picture :
and this thing repeats itself several times back and forth.

I admit when I was a new guest it took me time to distinguish between pictures belong to the thread and pictures of signatures -
and , instead of going over few 'scroll downs' to cover the thread subject -
I needed to go over many pages, which most of their contents were signatures -
some even are irritating GIFs that take up computer resources and Internet bandwith.

As in every given time there are many more guests than members browsing the forum -I think we should do our best to incourage them to continue reading and not to make them tend to give up -
as this thing is very tiring.

Moreover, I think there is something both arrogant and childish by leaving your mark after every small comment -
and forceing people to read it again and again and again.

I really hope people will take it into account instead of just adding more and more complex signatures.

CityRaptor

Actually you can make them invisible to you.
Profile>Modify Profile>Look and Layout
The click on: "Don't show users' signatures."
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Shonisaurus

I admit in my case and with the years that I have done a ridiculous sovereign to put signatures with logos of the forum (I refer to the faces) at the end of my messages. In my case I behaved like a small child, I assume it, for that reason already in my messages I just put those signatures with the logos of happy, sad, angry. I give you the reason BrotoScorpio.

On the other hand, in my case, putting a message with a phrase seems a little narcissistic on my part. I think very well what you have specified in this thread. For my part I give the reason again, it is annoying to put those logos or sign with a phrase, I think it bothers a lot of members of the forum.

Ravonium

Quote from: CityRaptor on May 28, 2018, 08:28:02 AM

I got the impression that the original poster already does this.

While I do find signatures that flaunt someone's collection (EDIT: I'm mainly talking about people who do more than simply link to their collections) mildly arrogant, they are something I've learned to live with. Apart from that, I have no issues with signatures.

Quote from: BrontoScorpio on May 28, 2018, 06:41:37 AM
But, as a guest, the only thing I could do was to just suck it up and learn to live with it.

You seem to be implying that having to live with 'annoying' signatures is an injustice that should be tackled with this statement.

Quote from: BrontoScorpio on May 28, 2018, 06:41:37 AM
Moreover, I think there is something both arrogant and childish by leaving your mark after every small comment -
and forceing people to read it again and again and again.

Unless the signature somehow promotes your collection or any other threads related to the member (and even then, it's only mildly arrogant compared to certain posts I've seen on this forum), I don't see how it could be considered arrogant.

As for your point about it being 'childish', this website is a toy forum, not an office. Not everything here needs to be 'professional' or 'serious'.

BrontoScorpio

Hi CityRaptor,As I have mentioned and you failed to notice :
I have no problem with that when I log in.
But as an unlogged member or a guest - I can not do what you described.
moreover, even if I could -
you don't expect a passing guest that just came in redirected from Google to read something -
to start browsing for some available options

IrritatorRaji

Well, I mean, to each their own. I don't really see why you're complaining when there's ways to remedy your situation.

PumperKrickel

deleted

Jose S.M.

I don't think linking your collection or something like that is arrogant. When I first became a member and made my introduction post I actually liked when someone had it because it allowed me to check their collection, which for me was useful to know about figures and brands that I didn't eknew existed. Yeah you can look for collections in that section in the first page but sometimes you want to interact with the people that's being friendly to you at first and a link to said people personal threads makes it easier.

amargasaurus cazaui

Inviduality is what makes us each unique. Everyone expresses differently and its also fair to point out there are many age groups represented here that may go different directions with that freedom. Iit is part of the unique that sets us each apart I think. I choose not to link my collection in my signature, but I truly love and enjoy watching that little psittacosaurus hop about and interact with the others so mine is not changing sorry. I do it because it makes me smile, and for me that is rare and unique........if others marks or methods make them smile as well, then I think and strongly feel that is a sentiment the world today needs more of...patience and smiles over suppression and intolerance at least for me .
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

ceratopsian

Thanks - I had no idea I could do this.

BrontoScorpio

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on May 28, 2018, 03:53:20 PM
Inviduality is what makes us each unique. ...patience and smiles over suppression and intolerance at least for me .
Well, I think better let uniqueness manifest itself through the posts we upload -
rather than forcing guest members seeing the same irritating GIF hundreds of times again and again -
If any - this on itself can be regarded as "suppression" - though I would not go so far with terminology ...
who knows - It might even get them smile even more

amargasaurus cazaui

I guess for me I just do not feel so empowered as to  choose how others can and cannot express themselves, especially when the method from my own viewpoint seems so casual...and the problem can be so simply resolved if I choose not to see that
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

BrontoScorpio

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on May 29, 2018, 07:50:25 AM
l...and the problem can be so simply resolved if I choose not to see that
OK, I'll write it the 4th time :
GUESTS HAS NO OPTION TO RESOLVE IT !!!

And since every member was either grateful for having been aware of this option or admitted he was allready using it -
It is only logical to assume they don't like it either.

But, guests can not complain nor can they alter settings -
So, I took it to have their silent voice heard.
moreover, on any given time there are 4 times many guests than members.

I guess every communal house has a tenant insisting on playing drumms in the halls -
should the other tenants look for settings were the ear plugs are ??

DinoToyForum

Quote from: BrontoScorpio on May 29, 2018, 08:17:46 AM

And since every member was either grateful for having been aware of this option or admitted he was allready using it -

I guess every communal house has a tenant insisting on playing drumms in the halls -

Please don't use all caps in that manner. It is the internet equivalent of angry shouting, which could be seen as breaking forum rule 1. Thanks.  C:-)

tyrantqueen

I wouldn't object to Dr. Admin making signatures invisible to guests, plenty of forums do this already.

kreativtek

With all due respect, signatures on this forum are rarely robust and rich in images or text. Usually they consist of a single line and static image. Unless you are using some sort of screen reader, I do not see how skimming through posts as well as signatures could ruin your experience to such extent. Such an opinion could have easily been sent to Dr Admin via a private message – public discussion can only make matters worse and rants have never really helped anybody.

You argue that signatures unnecessarily elongate posts on the forum. I could respond that your style of writing – separating single sentences into multiple lines – has a similar effect. Both are just minor trifles, though. Just like everything else in the world, our individuality comes with pros and cons.

amargasaurus cazaui

guests of course do have remedy to resolve the issue quite easily...just join the forum ....

BrontoScorpio

Quote from: kreativtek on May 29, 2018, 09:39:50 AM
signatures ... Usually they consist of a single line and static image.
I am completely for it.

Quote from: kreativtek on May 29, 2018, 09:39:50 AM...public discussion can only make matters worse ...
My opinion is that if something is botherring - you better tell the other person than - maybe he's not aware of it.And litle consideration is always  preferable.

Quote from: kreativtek on May 29, 2018, 09:39:50 AM
... I could respond that your style of writing – separating single sentences into multiple lines – has a similar effect.
This is just argumentative at best.
I find short sentences easier to read.

Quote from: kreativtek on May 29, 2018, 09:39:50 AM... our individuality comes with pros and cons.
If you created something of your own - and post it online - that is pure individualism.
If you just took from the internet a picture, a part of a movie, a phrase, etc. ,  that someone else made, and published it 1000 times -
I don't see much individuality with that.

In fact - most of what we do is not realy about 'individuality' -
we mostly pride ourselve having acquired someone elses work -
most of which being produced by the thousands or more.

BrontoScorpio

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on May 29, 2018, 12:03:09 PM
guests of course do have remedy to resolve the issue quite easily...just join the forum ....
Now you force them to do what they don't like to do just yet -
the fact is - there are 4 times more guests than members browsing the forum.
maybe too much signatures will encourage them to leave  than join ..

Halichoeres

This conclusion is selection bias. I didn't comment on this thread before because signatures don't bother me. I'm only commenting now because you're using the fact that a few people have said they turn them off to conclude that most everyone must hate them as you do. Of course, I probably have the sort of signature you hate, so...

Quote from: BrontoScorpio on May 29, 2018, 02:46:10 PM

maybe too much signatures will encourage them to leave  than join ..

With respect, I think far more people are put off by how often the forum is mean-spirited.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.