News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

mdds's artwork

Started by mdds, August 28, 2021, 05:06:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which scale would you use if you wanted to represent as many fauna as possible at a uniform scale (dinosaurs and extinct or extant mammals)?

It's not possible / too dificult, use mixed scales.
0 (0%)
1:72
0 (0%)
1:60
0 (0%)
1:50
0 (0%)
1:40
1 (33.3%)
1:35
2 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 3

mdds

Hi guys! Hope you all are doing well. This is the thread where I will be posting my artwork from now on.
Let's start with these two: Amurosaurus and Albertosaurus, and I think they have been my best artwork since I started! Really proud of them. They are made of cold porcelain and painted with acrylics, with a base made of moss and water made of liquid silicon. Oh and, as today's my mom's birthday, these guys will be her gift!

I started from these figures who where pretty much almost made to be honest:
(yup, that's a mate hahahahhaa)

Then, I started with the details:

And here they are waiting to be painted!

Already painted (but only the first coat!):

And here they are varnished and finished! Honestly, I had the Amurosaurus' coat figured out but the Alberto one... I just started painting and saw how it looked without thinking too much about it hahahahha

So, that's all! Hope you like it, and feel free to give me any kind of feedback!  ;D

ceratopsian

If I were your mother, I'd be delighted with them. Very successful, especially as they are so small. I like the stripes scheme for the Amurosaurus.

mdds

Quote from: ceratopsian on August 28, 2021, 05:35:50 PM
If I were your mother, I'd be delighted with them. Very successful, especially as they are so small. I like the stripes scheme for the Amurosaurus.
Thank you very much ceratopsian!  ;)

Lanthanotus

I hope your Mom likes dinosaurs, but even if she's not much into them, she will sure appreciate the work and effort that obviously went into them.

I do not know cold porcelain as a material to work with from own experience, but I think your creations show a good sense for proportions and detail. Am curios about your futher works.

Gothmog the Baryonyx

Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Justin_

Did you make the cold porcelain yourself? I've seen someone on the Animal Toy Forum who makes lots of birds from it.

SidB

Learn something all the time - didn't know that this could be done with such materials, and at so small a scale. How long have you been doing this - you have a really good touch, with a fine sense of proportion. I look forward to your future work.

mdds

Quote from: Lanthanotus on August 28, 2021, 09:56:28 PM
I hope your Mom likes dinosaurs, but even if she's not much into them, she will sure appreciate the work and effort that obviously went into them.

I do not know cold porcelain as a material to work with from own experience, but I think your creations show a good sense for proportions and detail. Am curios about your futher works.
Oh thank you! Actually, she's very into them because I, as a kid, would drive her crazy talking about them all the time so she has a good knowledge of them, she loved them as they remind her of me when I was a kid haha. And yes! I'll be posting future work in this same thread if that's okay :)

Quote from: Gothmog the Baryonyx on August 28, 2021, 10:12:51 PM
Beautiful work

Thank you Gothmog! ^-^

Quote from: Justin_ on August 29, 2021, 11:33:27 AM
Did you make the cold porcelain yourself? I've seen someone on the Animal Toy Forum who makes lots of birds from it.
Nope actually I bought it made! Cold porcelain is a common material in here to work in arts, as it's cheaper than for example Polymeric clay! And well, for me it's better to work with as it's also softer, I tried polymeric clay but it was too hard to work with (and much more expensive). Also, I didn't know about someone in ATF doing birds in the same material! Could you give me his/her name please? I would like to see that!

Quote from: SidB on August 29, 2021, 12:35:29 PM
Learn something all the time - didn't know that this could be done with such materials, and at so small a scale. How long have you been doing this - you have a really good touch, with a fine sense of proportion. I look forward to your future work.
Thank you very much! I feel very flattered! :) I have been doing this since... I was 10 years old maybe and in the same material, so yeah, years of experience lead to these haha oh and yes! I'll be posting my next works in this same thread!  ;)

Justin_

Quote from: mdds on August 30, 2021, 04:06:24 PM

........I didn't know about someone in ATF doing birds in the same material! Could you give me his/her name please? I would like to see that!

Isidro. They're work is here: http://animaltoyforum.com/index.php?topic=2520.0   and I'd forgotten it is not just birds. Also, the early ones are Super Sculpey and later ones are WePam cold porcelain.
Also here with WIP pictures: http://animaltoyforum.com/index.php?topic=2821

Shonisaurus

What a beautiful job, you could market them are works of art.

mdds

Quote from: Shonisaurus on September 03, 2021, 12:23:27 PMWhat a beautiful job, you could market them are works of art.

First of all, a big thank you! I didn't login here since months so this reply went by unnoticed :)

And secondly: I have made a few more sculptures! It's in these moments that I have a break from college that I try to reconnect myself to this hobby. I would like to show you the sculptures of a Mapusaurus, Meraxes, Choconsaurus and an Iguanodon that came from abroad to visit them :P

All of them are made in a 1:72 scale. It seemed interesting to make Mapusaurus, Meraxes (whose skeletal was taken from the original paper) and Choconsaurus together since they might have coexisted and I think that a diorama with these guys might go well in a future.

Anyways, behold! (They are not finished yet... They have to be smoothened/sanded and painted first, so critics are VERY much appreciated!)

Group pic:

Meraxes and Mapusaurus:

Mapusaurus:

Meraxes:

Choconsaurus:

Iguanodon:

Have a beautiful day everyone!

mdds

Hello again guys! I have a little question (You will find a poll if you want to vote): This week I have been wondering if I should make my sculptures a little bit bigger, like, 1/50 or something like that, as I want to represent also other creatures and in 1/72 they are simply put, microscopic. So, would scale would you suggest for my artwork? I would like to represent as many animals (extinct and extant, with a focus on mammals and dinosaurs) as possible in a uniform scale, since I am a bit of a diorama lover, but my only concern is that I have space issues so I wouldn't be able to make, say, a 1/35 Patagotitan.

Have a great weekend!

Newt

Great job on these! The claws and teeth on the theropods and the dorsal crest on Iguanodon are especially nice.

As far as scale goes, when I had the same question I made a list of a bunch of animals I might want to sculpt and entered them into a spreadsheet. Column 1 was the animal's name, column 2 was the animal's actual total length in cm, and each following column used a formula to show how big the model would be at a given scale - for example, for 1/40 scale the formula was just =A2/40 and so on. This was much faster than calculating each animal at each scale individually and really helped me figure out which scale I wanted to use. (I settled on 1/20).

You will have to make some tough choices and decide how small and how big of animals you really want to do. You probably won't find a scale that is appropriate for both Compsognathus and Argentinosaurus. Making the list also helps you see what you lose if you cut off everything over or under a specific actual size.

Since you are doing dioramas, you might also want to consider adding trees to your list - not necessarily particular species, just what size a 20- or 50- or 100-meter high tree would be at a given scale.

Anyways, good luck and I look forward to seeing your future works!

Aerosteon

Amurosaurus is incredible, I especially like it. What a good gift and work, I would love a gift like this.

JohannesB

Great work! I think that working in a bigger scale might be beneficial for many reasons, among which being able to put in more detail and being able to shape the body into somewhat more active poses (because manipulation will be easier with the bigger body parts). At least, that is what I think. Anyway, keep on modeling! 8)

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.