News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Ictonyx artwork

Started by Ictonyx, June 04, 2018, 10:28:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shonisaurus

I have tried to draw dinosaurs and prehistoric animals with regrettable results. It did not surprise me that members of the forum like you draw such species without copying any book. That has a lot of merit. Without directly copying a painting I am not able to paint by memory, that is, I have no imagination to make such works based on paleontological knowledge.

I admire you. Keep it up.

Ictonyx

Thanks for kind comment Shonisaurus, haven't checked this forum for ages!

Ictonyx

I needed a new notebook and got one with covers I can draw on. Did the front cover first - Gryposaurus monumentensis. Fairly happy with this. Tried a bit of hatching, at which I have no skill - fun to do something different for a change though. I'll probably add more ornithopods on the back and inside covers at some point.

Halichoeres

That hatching isn't bad at all! With a little practice you'll be great at it.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Shonisaurus

To the gryposaurus you have put some moles that give the vision of an exotic and tropical dinosaur. (from my way of seeing).

Ictonyx

Ictonyx

Back cover of new notebook, with the ornithopod Altirhinus kurzanovi. Overcast today, so worse lighting.

Shonisaurus

Beautiful drawing of the gryposaurus. Sincerely, you have great talent as an artist.

Ictonyx

Brachylophosaurus canadensis, on inside cover of new notebook. Need more practice at hatching in general and hatching different shapes in particular... hard to gauge shading values with an unfamiliar technique. On the whole though, pretty pleased with the overall look of this.

Jose S.M.

I really like your the Gryposaurus and Brachylophosaurus, great work!

Ictonyx

Brocc21

Your hadrosaurs are very well drawn.
"Boy do I hate being right all the time."

Ictonyx

Halichoeres

Quote from: Ictonyx on February 17, 2019, 10:26:56 PM
Brachylophosaurus canadensis, on inside cover of new notebook. Need more practice at hatching in general and hatching different shapes in particular... hard to gauge shading values with an unfamiliar technique. On the whole though, pretty pleased with the overall look of this.

Have you ever tried practicing hatching on inorganic shapes? Just like a sphere, a pyramid, a cube, etc.? I found it very helpful when I was trying to figure out shade and lighting.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Ictonyx

Halichoeres: I haven't, but it sounds like a good idea.

Ictonyx

Some less serious 'palaeoart'. A domesticated sauropod, selectively bred for military use. Or as I call it, a Waropod.

Tyto_Theropod

How have I missed this thread?! I love your style and, of course, the finished products. They should be employing you to illustrate serious dinosaur books!

As a sidenote, I totally feel you about learning to draw prehistoric animals from different angles. It's something I'm trying to do more of myself ATM.
UPDATE - Where've I been, my other hobbies, and how to navigate my Flickr:
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9277.msg280559#msg280559
______________________________________________________________________________________
Flickr for crafts and models: https://www.flickr.com/photos/162561992@N05/
Flickr for wildlife photos: Link to be added
Twitter: @MaudScientist

Ictonyx

Thanks a lot, that's a really nice vote of confidence! Also, Tyto alba are great dinosaurs and I have been lucky enough to see a couple in the wild.

Ictonyx

Suchomimus tenerensis WIP. Not enough light today to get a good image of the faint pencil, but when it's inked hopefully it will look ok.

Ictonyx

More Suchomimus WIP, now inked. Thought it might be interesting to document some steps in the process.

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.