News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

SEGA Dinoking Figures

Started by Bokisaurus, August 05, 2012, 09:31:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bokisaurus

SEGA, through the years, has released many series of prehistoric figures that range from super tiny to really big. One of their latest releases is a collection of 36 different prehistoric animals including dinosaurs, marine reptiles, pterosaurs, and the odd mammal. This set is inspired and connected to the popular video game called Dinoking.
The figures are "vividly" colored, some sporting wild designs and patterns. Most of the figures are articulated (arms, legs, etc.) and bigger in size than your average 1:40 size figure. The material is made out of soft plastic and is hollow.
As far as I know, there were no later additions to the original 36 figures Like many Japanese figures, there were not widely sold outside of the country, making them harder to complete. Once again, ebay is perhaps your best bet in finding these figures (price varies).
True to the video game that spawned the line, the figures are not what you will call scientifically accurate. The design/sculpt is somewhere between retro and stylized. Most have large, exaggerated feet, perhaps to give the figure some stability. Despite these flaws, most of the figures are recognizable as the species that they represent.
To –date, I have almost all of the figures from the series except for the stegosaur (#22) that continues to elude me. In addition to these larger sized figures, there was also a smaller set of the same animals (mostly) that was released as a set. Most of these small figures come with a base of some sort that interconnects with each other. Based on this, I believe that the small figures were part of a game.
I personally love the line. There are some interesting species such as Isisaurus (sauropod)  and saurophagnax, that  you won't find in any other line. I'm particularly fond of the ceratopsians, duckbills, and sauropods (surprise!). Like all the other major lines, this one also has one odd mammal, the ever present mammoth.
One more thing, just to make things confusing, there was also another Japanese line that was released around the same time as the SEGA Dinoking, the Happinet line. In size, and to some extent, style, the two collection lines are very similar and are often a source of confusion. If I have the time, I may do one for the Happinet, too.
Okay, onward to the photos. Enjoy.

#19 Deinonychus, #20 Therizinosaurus, #5 Spinosaurus

# 21 Amargasaurus, #24 Saltasaurus

#27 Saurolophus, #23 Fukuisaurus, #3 Parasaurolophus

#28 Pentaceratops, #13 Styracosaurus, #1 Triceratops

#17 Futabasaurus (plesio)

#4 T-Rex, #25 Saurophagnanax

#30 Megalosaurus

#26 Megaraptor

#14 Acrocanthosaurus

# 18 Seismosaurus

# 35 Pachyrhinosaurus

#36 Titanosaurus (Isisaurus)

#33 Shuntungosaurus

# 34 Achelousaurus

#32 Yanchuanosaurus

# 37 (?) Mammoth

# 6 Pawpawsaurus (middle figures - other two are Happinet)

# 2 Canotaurus (purple) - other are Happinet figures (you can see how similar the lines are)

# 15 Pachycephalosaurus, # 16 Pteranodon

So those are the ones I have, missing only # 22 Stegosaurus ( I don't have) and # 31 Majungasaurus (I have but can't find the photo, its red with white and black bands.) If someone who has them can post pics to complete it ;)
Overall, I really like the line.

# 22 - Stegosaurus!
[]

Here are the mini sets, I don't have most of them. Some with base, others don't. I'm not familiar with their story,so maybe some who is can shed some light

In addition, there was a set of 8 mini keychain figures and one secret ( which I don't have)

Curiously, there was no Lambeosaurus in the larger figures, but there is one in the KC mini. I'm pretty sure they are from the same line (released by SEGA) and not by Happinet (which had the Lambeo)
Pull the chain, and you have some micro figures ;D

There you have it, the SEGA Dinoking figures. Feel free to add your collection photos,too.  ;)
Maybe next time I will do its sister set, the Happinet collection sculpted by Kazunari Araki :))

Jetoar

I like the figures and the game of Dinosaur King. I have some mini sets. I like the details but i dont like the colors in other dinosaurs
[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

Takama

Man.  All i have of Dinosaur King is a DVD of the first Episode, a deck of tradeing cards, a magna book, and the video game on DS.

Its like pokemon, except with real creatures that once lived in this world.

I dont own any of the figures that came from this series, however, given the diversity of its species, i often pretend that CollectAs dinosaurs are tied to it.

SBell

I am hoping to someday hunt down the last 8 of the Playmates Series II figures (I have all of one)--the are the ones with the brown bases.  There are at least two other small sets from Japan.  Some very small ones that came with black bases (associated with juice or something) of which I have a Pachyrhinosaurus.  And a small set of figures that are very like the Playmates ones, but no bases (I have the Baryonyx).

I curse that not one of these lines ever made it to North America--I had to get all of mine from Europe.

Bokisaurus

Quote from: SBell on August 06, 2012, 12:12:46 AM
I am hoping to someday hunt down the last 8 of the Playmates Series II figures (I have all of one)--the are the ones with the brown bases.  There are at least two other small sets from Japan.  Some very small ones that came with black bases (associated with juice or something) of which I have a Pachyrhinosaurus.  And a small set of figures that are very like the Playmates ones, but no bases (I have the Baryonyx).

I curse that not one of these lines ever made it to North America--I had to get all of mine from Europe.
Oh yeah, forgot about those really small ones! I  also have the pachyrhinosaurus

It's the smallest one, a mirror image of the larger one.
Also, more small figures with brown base

The only reason I got as many of these as I did was that two former members had them for sale/trade before. I was able to find the rest on ebay... except for that darn stego! >:D

Blackdanter

Boki mate,

The vinyl articulated Stego has been on Ebay for ages if that's the one you mean. Here's a link but it looks like the last one if you need it. I bought mine from this seller as a discounted lot but only got about half the figures that way. You kinda wind up loving the darned things don't you  ;)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dinosaur-King-Sega-Toys-PVC-Figure-Stegosaurus-NEW-/270987216351?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f1818c5df

Horridus

I'd really like that T. rex, just as a dinky counterpart to the big fella.
All you need is love...in the time of chasmosaurs http://chasmosaurs.blogspot.com/
@Mhorridus

Brontozaurus

Boki, the Pawpawsaurus in your original post is actually Saichania. I went through a bit of a Dinosaur King phase a few years ago, and consequently I know the dinosaurs off by heart. The Dinoking Pawpawsaurus looks like this.
"Uww wuhuhuhuh HAH HAWR HA HAWR."
-Ian Malcolm

My collection! UPDATED 21.03.2020: Dungeons & Dinosaurs!

mooseman

I love the colours of these, and that Futabasaurus is awesome. Will have to keep an eye on eBay for one.

Jetoar

Cool figures. I will share images of my collection and repaints of my figures.
[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

mooseman

I don't know if this will be of any interest, but in the UK it seems there's a Dinosaur King magazine, and this month the free gift was 2 mini dinosaur figures. They're only a few centimetres tall, and just my luck I got 2 T rexs. Still pretty cool though. I'd never heard of Dinosaur King before, the magazine is official though.

Jetoar

Hello friends this is my collection of Dinosaur King figures. In Spain you can find figures of season 1 and some figures of season 2.

I dont have the bif articulated figures and other figures but i would like to have some day  ^-^.

DC

I am looking for the series 2 playmates also.

there were also some low end DInosaur King figures used as tops.
You can never have too many dinosaurs

DC

The best figures were the Diorama Collectabales from Sega.

See bottom of page for Sega figures.
http://www.dinosaurcollectorsitea.com/Japan.html

[attachment msg=21451][/attachment]

SBell

Quote from: DC on October 15, 2012, 08:25:14 PM
The best figures were the Diorama Collectabales from Sega.

See bottom of page for Sega figures.
http://www.dinosaurcollectorsitea.com/Japan.html

I have the whole set of top dinos--they were at a Dollarama, probably knock offs, but they look exactly the same!

The full set was Torosaurus, Ankylosaurus, Ceratosaurus, Lambeosaurus, Amargasaurus and Tyrannosaurus.

And if you can still find the Series 2 figures, I am still looking for 8 of them, so any help would be appreciated!

DC

Majungasaurus

[attachment msg=21479][/attachment]

docronnie

I only have this, which was a gift from a friend:

Just 2 days ago, I got a mini Torosaurus and a mini Lambeosaurus keychain, but without the chain anymore.

I actually saw the mini figures with bases on sale here at Greenhills (a local place where most collectibles are displayed and sold).  I did not get the lot of 12 because some where badly made.

Not really a Dino King fan, but the large figures are really interesting.
Keep The Magic Alive and Kicking! :-)

Blade-of-the-Moon

I'm still looking for a Futabasaurus figure myself..never have found one.

SBell

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 10, 2013, 07:27:10 AM
I'm still looking for a Futabasaurus figure myself..never have found one.

I just really want the series 2 Pteranodon and Therizinosaurus (as well as a few others to complete the set) but they had even worse distribution than the first series.

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.