News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Afrovenator 3D printed and painted (process)

Started by Aerosteon, August 21, 2022, 12:02:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aerosteon

Hello everyone, this is my first comment on the forum although I've been on it for a while.

Some time ago I sculpted an Afrovenator in Blender, this one in a resting pose to 3D print it in PLA, scale 1/15. To make the impression I divided it into different parts, to avoid the marks left by the supports in the impression.

Once the Afrovenator was printed, I continued with the gluing of the parts and fixing the joints with Green Stuff, and then painting it.

Actually it is the first figure that I paint and I was a bit lost, in the end I am happy with the color pattern that I got.

For the color, I looked at the colors of the birds and one of the most repeated is the combination of black, gray, white and yellow, such as "Motacilla cinerea".

Before painting it I did some tests.

In my opinion Afrovenator is one of the most interesting Theropods, its remains found are complete enough to make an accurate reconstruction, its type fossil is one of the most complete theropod skeletons ever discovered in North Africa. It is a megalosaurus trapped in Africa discovered by Paul Sereno, who described it as a graceful predator with relatively long forelimbs and legs, which gives us an animal prepared for hunting.

https://www.deviantart.com/tyrannophilus/art/Afrovenator-abakensis-skeletal-839636304

Unfortunately there are no figures that do it justice except the miniature of David Krentz.

CollectA figure reviw at dinotoyblog.com ----------> http://dinotoyblog.com/2010/08/29/afrovenator-collecta-new-for-2010/

I hope to print it in resin soon to gain quality.
I leave here the result:

TooOldForDinosaurs

What a grand opening! I think your 3D print turned out absolutely fantastic and and the paintjob is also very impressive. The final result looks marvellously lifelike - you've done a great job! I like the model a lot and hope we'll be seeing more from you very soon!  ^-^

Pliosaurking

Gorgeous afrovenator avatar_Aerosteon @Aerosteon
That paint job looks fantastic!

Aerosteon

Thank you very much for your comments "TooOldForDinosaurs" and "Pliosaurking", your comments encourage me to do new things, I hope to acquire a 3D resin printer to get more detail and quality in the prints and show them in this forum to learn from your opinions.

The next thing I have in mind is to put the Afrovenator with a nest, but the information I have found is limited, the arrangement of nests in large megalosaurid theropods is not very extensive.

For those that I have been able to find, it was arranged in a circular shape in a kind of bowl, possibly with vegetation covering them or in areas with geothermal energy.

paintingdinos

The sculpt work and the paintup for this are superb. Love the relaxed/sitting pose, I always appreciate seeing calmer moments like this depicted.

So glad you posted and hope to see more in the future!

Aerosteon

Yes, I also like to see more relaxed scenes sometimes. My inspiration has been the set of footprints found in 2009, Utah, of a theropod dinosaur (Eubrontes), which left the metatarsal marks, belly marks, both hands and the ischial callus.

Minute 7:25 ---------------->https://youtu.be/nkh5EELS-V8?t=445

Thanks for your comment.

Halichoeres

Great pose! It's what the CollectA Daspletosaurus wished it could be.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Aerosteon

Quote from: Halichoeres on August 24, 2022, 06:16:44 PMGreat pose! It's what the CollectA Daspletosaurus wished it could be.

Thanks for commenting on the figure, I understand that Collecta designed its figures and poses using a balance with the molds and taking into account that the production costs are low.

I, in this figure, have sought for the pose to be natural and aesthetically pleasing. I really enjoyed making it and sharing it here with you.

Aerosteon

I already have the eggs, made with fimo clay and colored with a toothbrush

HD-man

Quote from: Aerosteon on August 21, 2022, 04:48:52 PMThe next thing I have in mind is to put the Afrovenator with a nest, but the information I have found is limited, the arrangement of nests in large megalosaurid theropods is not very extensive.

Maybe this will help: https://twitter.com/smithsonian/status/1135555299132170242
I'm also known as JD-man at deviantART: http://jd-man.deviantart.com/

Aerosteon

Quote from: HD-man on September 03, 2022, 10:20:53 AM
Quote from: Aerosteon on August 21, 2022, 04:48:52 PMThe next thing I have in mind is to put the Afrovenator with a nest, but the information I have found is limited, the arrangement of nests in large megalosaurid theropods is not very extensive.

Maybe this will help: https://twitter.com/smithsonian/status/1135555299132170242

What a good reference, I had thought of the same thing that you show me, my doubt is the arrangement of the eggs in the nest, since I have seen that there are different arrangements of the eggs in the nest, circular, stacked, buried or in a nest and the truth is that I find no information on how large carnivorous theropods would make their nests, there is little information on this.

Aerosteon

The Afrovenator with the texture of scales. I already have a resin printer so I hope to print it with higher resolution than the previous one.

WarrenJB

Mamasaurus

Beautiful! The colors are gorgeous, and I love the relaxed sitting pose above. The speckled eggs are lovely too. I'm excited to see how a resin printed one will turn out. :)

Images copyrite to Mamasaurus

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.