News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Boki's Adventure in Sculpting:The Conclusion! (2/26/22)

Started by Bokisaurus, June 27, 2018, 07:31:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bokisaurus

Quote from: ceratopsian on June 12, 2019, 06:20:15 PM
That Leedsichthys is really successful - and a lovely colour scheme.

Thank you! ^-^ Of all the figures I made, it was the one I was the most nervous about due to the size and the elaborate color scheme I had in mind for it. ^-^

Halichoeres

Not sure how I missed this before, but great job on the Leedsichthys! You got the fins right :)
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Bokisaurus

Quote from: Halichoeres on June 28, 2019, 03:27:38 PM
Not sure how I missed this before, but great job on the Leedsichthys! You got the fins right :)

Wow, thank you! That means a lot to me to hear  you say I got the fins right ;D Glad you like him.

Lanthanotus

Woah, nice interpretation of that enigmatic fish. I like the varying texture and superbly done coloration.

Bokisaurus

Quote from: Stegotyranno on July 19, 2020, 06:19:58 AM
Nice sculpts

Thanks and thank you for reminding me that I still have to finish posting all my other sculptures!
Wow, hard to believe it's been a year since I added anything to this thread!
I still have some marine reptiles, fishes, and dinosaurs to add!😂

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: Bokisaurus on July 20, 2020, 04:18:42 AM
Quote from: Stegotyranno on July 19, 2020, 06:19:58 AM
Nice sculpts

Thanks and thank you for reminding me that I still have to finish posting all my other sculptures!
Wow, hard to believe it's been a year since I added anything to this thread!
I still have some marine reptiles, fishes, and dinosaurs to add!😂
I'd like to see your take on a generic carnosaur of some type

Bokisaurus

Wow! It's been a year since I updated this thread! ;D
Well, I still have so much to add! So, taking this opportunity to add a few ones, this time some prehistoric sharks!

Edit: I would like to mention that these vibrant colors and designs were inspired by one of my favorite artist, Ray Troll. I was fortunate to have an opportunity to see his artwork when the Seattle Aquarium had a show of his work years ago. I was blown away! As a tribute, I wanted these fishes to look inspired by his work. :)

First up is the iconic Stethacanthus shark, one of my favorite.
[]

And not to be outdone, another weird looking shark Falcatus (male).
[]

The more familiar but also weird Xenacanthus - this was one of the first ones I made, it looks horrible, look more like a caterpillar ;D
[]

And rounding up the quartet Cobelodus
[]

Thats it for now, I do have a few more fishes to add on the next update ;D
I sculpted these guys way back in 2018, wow, that went fast! I haven't been sculpting for almost 2 years now. I have just now finished painting almost all of the unfinished ones, so they will slowly make appearances as time allows.
It was a fun project for sure. Now, I hope CollectA and Safari will start making some of these truly amazing and odd-looking fishes!
Thanks for checking in, cheers!

Shonisaurus

I'm glad you're back in this thread on the DTF after such a long time. Those fish that you have made are very beautiful. That said, we hope that one day Safari and / or Collecta will be encouraged to reproduce these animal species.

Tyto_Theropod

Nice to see my local lad Stetcanthus so well sculpted, B @Bokisaurus.  Keep up the good work!
UPDATE - Where've I been, my other hobbies, and how to navigate my Flickr:
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9277.msg280559#msg280559
______________________________________________________________________________________
Flickr for crafts and models: https://www.flickr.com/photos/162561992@N05/
Flickr for wildlife photos: Link to be added
Twitter: @MaudScientist

Jose S.M.

Nice to see your creations again! Great sharks with interesting colorations.

ceratopsian

I can't believe it has been a year! I enjoy the vibrancy of the colours.

Bokisaurus

Thank you everyone! About the colors... ;D I forgot to mention that when I decided to make the fish series, I was very much inspired by the art of
Ray Troll, one of my favorite artist! Years ago, I was able to see his art show that was shown in the Seattle Aquarium. I was just blown away by all of them, and they featured a lot of sharks, both extinct and extant.
So when I painted these figures, I wanted to capture his vibrant colors and transfer them to my sculpts, that's why they are really colorful ;D

If you are not familiar with Ray Troll's work, just google him and shark, you will see what I mean ;D
Glad you guys like them, stay tuned for a few more fishes in the coming days.
Cheers!

Quote from: ceratopsian on September 08, 2020, 08:03:35 AM
I can't believe it has been a year! I enjoy the vibrancy of the colours.
avatar_ceratopsian @ceratopsian   I know, the years went so fast! Thanks!

Quote from: Tyto_Theropod on September 07, 2020, 06:59:11 PM
Nice to see my local lad Stetcanthus so well sculpted, B @Bokisaurus.  Keep up the good work!
avatar_Tyto_Theropod @Tyto_Theropod   Thank you, that's very kind of you. ^-^ its one of my favorite species.

Quote from: Shonisaurus on September 07, 2020, 06:46:49 PM
I'm glad you're back in this thread on the DTF after such a long time. Those fish that you have made are very beautiful. That said, we hope that one day Safari and / or Collecta will be encouraged to reproduce these animal species.
Thank you, avatar_Shonisaurus @Shonisaurus

Quote from: Jose S.M. on September 08, 2020, 12:15:00 AM
Nice to see your creations again! Great sharks with interesting colorations.
avatar_Jose S.M. @Jose S.M. Thank you! Looking at all the unposted figures, I still have a lot to share  ^-^ How about you, did you continue with sculpting or pretty much done with it?

Loon

B @Bokisaurus I love that Stethacanthus, such an amazing and, I'd argue, iconic creature.

Also, thank you for informing me of Mr. Troll's artwork. After a, I'll admit, very quick Google Image search, I've fallen in love with his art. It's so different from a lot of animal art, extinct and extant.

Halichoeres

Boki, these are great! I'm also a fan of Ray Troll's work, especially his iniopterygian montage.

I like that you've given them plenty of space for their gill arches, which is so often overlooked. That's especially evident on the Cobelodus.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Jose S.M.

B @Bokisaurus I haven't sculpt so much in the last months because I was living in a tiny place and didn't have all my stuff there but I recently moved and now I have my tables and other stuff so I can start again, I already have some plans to venture into things ii haven't yet so wish me luck! Can't wait to see the other unposted figures !

Bokisaurus

Thanks everyone! I think I have 4 more to add to the fish series, hoping to post them later today if I don't get called in to work!
avatar_Loon @Loon - yes, Ray Troll's art is amazing isn't it? I have a few art prints of his work, the only ones I can afford! ;D
avatar_Dinoreplicas @Dinoreplicas thanks! Tropical vibes indeed :D
avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres thanks, glad you like them. Funny you mention that iniopteryx piece, I love that one and I actually made one for this series!, stay tuned, I think you will find two from the final group interesting, at least I hope ;D

Bokisaurus

Okay, this is the last group of fishes to post ;D

Iniopteryx - One truly odd looking fish! I saw a print of Ray Troll's drawing and I had to try and make one!
[]

Echinochimaera -Another oddity ;D
[]

Belantsea - One of my personal favorite from the entire group ! Another one where I saw a Ray Troll art.
[]

Bandringa shark - The weakest of the group I think.
[]

Well, there ya go! It's been a fun project and I really enjoyed it. I'm a big Ray Troll fan so it was especially fun to try to bring his art into a 3D form!
Here is the entire group.
[]

Overall, I think I made a total of close to 20 different prehistoric fish during the entire run of this project! ;D One day when I have more time, I would love to take a picture of all of them together.
Thanks for checking!

Jose S.M.

Those are great! My favorite is the Belantsea too! Very colorful nice fishes.

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.