News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Boki's Adventure in Sculpting:The Conclusion! (2/26/22)

Started by Bokisaurus, June 27, 2018, 07:31:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jose S.M.

Great work Boki! Very nice paintjobs again and I'm glad you saved the first Sivatherium, I like it's head sculpt a lot.

Bokisaurus

Quote from: Jose S.M. on July 12, 2018, 07:59:39 PM
Great work Boki! Very nice paintjobs again and I'm glad you saved the first Sivatherium, I like it's head sculpt a lot.

Thanks Jose, I'm glad I save him, too. Just started on ceratopsians and it was an adventure :))

Charavoitau

Halichoeres

In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Bokisaurus

Thanks guys! :D
Well, I am now deep into sculpting dinosaurs! Haha, looking at my mammals, they are starting to look so left behind. I am trying to finish up the last batch of mammals, mostly clean up and painting them now.
So hopefully I can take photos of them and post them.
For now, I am working on a series of ceratopsians, yes, those lovely animals. Ironically, as complicated and challenging as their head gear and horns are, I had better luck sculpting their heads than I had working on those sauropod heads. :(
So, in two weeks, I have made 4 finished ceratopsians and two waiting for the body.
I found it really hard to work smaller, I tried very hard to make the figures smaller, but my big hands and clumsiness is just not compatible with a smaller sized sculpt.
Anyway, I am dissappointed but he sauropods, so I may have to go back and re-sculpt the heads. And just to challenge myself even further, I also started on the head sculpt of two hadrosaurs ;D

Well, for now, I am going to leave you guys with a preview of the ceratopsian herd , now awaiting painting. Cheers, lets see if you guys can guess which species they are ;D

ceratopsian

You are very ambitious!  I'm really looking forward to seeing the results.  I am not so surprised the ceratopsian heads are easier than sauropods.  They are bigger but also they have a very distinct shape.  I think that must make an easier pattern to follow.  Easier to know when you are getting it right, if you know what I mean.

My guesses on identity: really not sure on the two outer creatures.  But the one in the middle with the crown-like edge to its frill, I think that is Regaliceratops.  And I think the one with two upstanding horns to the right of it is Diabloceratops.  The one at the far right - I think its frill edging curls forward, which made me think of Kosmoceratops or Wendiceratops.  But I'm not sure.  And pass on the left-hand model!

Neosodon

They look promising. Vegaceratops on the right maybe, agree with ceratopsian on the middle ones and on the left I'll have to go with Indo-tops.

"3,000 km to the south, the massive comet crashes into Earth. The light from the impact fades in silence. Then the shock waves arrive. Next comes the blast front. Finally a rain of molten rock starts to fall out of the darkening sky - this is the end of the age of the dinosaurs. The Comet struck the Gulf of Mexico with the force of 10 billion Hiroshima bombs. And with the catastrophic climate changes that followed 65% of all life died out. It took millions of years for the earth to recover but when it did the giant dinosaurs were gone - never to return." - WWD

Nimravus

My bets on your ceratopsians from left to right are:
No-clue :o, Regaliceratops, Diabloceratops, Kosmoceratops
Thanks to Ceratopsian and Neosodon for their clues!

PhilSauria

Four in one week!! - I wish that I was that focused! I still have the Triceratops I started ages ago sitting on my desk. Too many interests and outside commitments vying for too little time in my case. Looking forward to the unveiling.

Bokisaurus

@ Ceratopsian - yeah, I know exactly what you mean about the difference between ceratopsian and sauropod heads, you nailed it! :D I found it so frustrating, it seem so simple, but it really got me :o
@ PhilSauria - Haha, I tend to work fast, but my schedule is also so busy... I work in the afternoon and early evenings, so that really don't give me much time. So... I decided that I will wake up an hour earlier and give myself 2 hours to work in the morning. I wake up at 6:30, have my coffee, then work from 7-9, after that, no more. Sometimes, if I'm not too tired, I may work for an hour in the evening as well. I don't work on my sculpt on my days off, those are reserved for enjoying the outdoors ;D

Well, I originally intended to post figures in order of when they are done... BUT, as I work on finishing them, I started to jump around, working on figures that I like the most and excited me the most. So they are all over the place now and not in order.
With that, I decided that I will post each figures as they are completed, noting when they were finished in the process.

SOOOO ;D Two ceratopsian species have been correctly identified so far, and two not yet :))
I decided that I will post the very first photo of my ceratopsians based on which ones were identified first, sounds good? Any more guesses?
Tomorrow, I promise, I will post the first photos. Thanks again for looking and playing the guessing game! See you all tomorrow, cheers! :)

Bokisaurus

Okay, here we go with the first post of my newly finished ceratopsians.
As correctly guessed, the two were Diabloceratops and Kosmoceratops :)) I have always love the Diablo, so despite having two larger figures, I wanted to try my hands on sculpting one.
In the ceratopsian lineup, this is the 3rd figure I sculpted, there were two others ahead of it.

As you can see, there are two different colored sculpey. The brown one is much harder but also retains so much details and much easier to sculpt small details. This is what I used for the heads and feet.
And now, the finished and painted version  ;)
[]

For scale, here he is with some of his friends
[]
I wanted to show it with the Safari and CollectA versions just to give a better idea of the size and also to show the herd.
Overall, I am very happy with this figure turned out. Of course there are flaws, but that's fine by me.
One fun fact, if you look at the head, you will see a lot of small line. This turned out to be my fingerprints! Hahaha!
I dry-brushed the figure to give it more texture and to also bring out as much fine details that there is. Dry-brushing really helps make a repainted figure much more dimensional and really brings out details that are otherwise lost if you just paint it in one coating.

The painting process is the longest stage since you have to wait for the first undercoat of paint to dry before you can add another one. But I really love painting, so it was fun once I can start with the design part of it. I went with a simple design and color scheme for this guy, mainly I was inspired by the Asiatic Gaur, a huge cattle from Asia for the colors.
Well, hope you guys like it. If you are curious, it took me 1.5 hours to sculpt the head, and the same amount of time to sculpt the body.
Tomorrow, I will reveal the next species that was correctly guessed, so hope you guys stay tuned.

PS
As I look at all of my sculpting together, I started to see a certain style develop. I think it's a little bit stylized, but that's how it emerged ;D
Cheers, and t hanks for looking! ^-^

Jose S.M.

Very nice! I like the color on its face, it's blended nicely. Looking forward to the Kosmo and to get to know what are the unidentified ones!

Bokisaurus

Quote from: Jose S.M. on July 18, 2018, 09:51:34 PM
Very nice! I like the color on its face, it's blended nicely. Looking forward to the Kosmo and to get to know what are the unidentified ones!
Thanks Jose ;)

Bokisaurus

Okay, the finally the last of the two that was correctly guessed.
It's the Kosmoceratops, another favorite of mine.
[]

When I was in the process of deciding which colors to use, I wanted something that is  unexpected a nd very different from what I have done in my past repaints.
So, I know the color choice won't be for everyone, but I like it and has really grown on me. It also contrast nicely with the other ceratopsians ;D
[

I love the color blue, and I figured this would be a good choice to use it on.
[]
With CollectA's

Well,  hope you like her :))
I'm taking a break all next week, so there won't be any updates unless I get a break.
Right now, there are 5 different ceratopsians awaiting to be painted! Hahaha! Maybe I will pose another guessing game to try and identify the 5  ;)
Thanks for looking, Cheers!

Here are the two side-by-side
[]

ceratopsian

You should be pleased to have created such individual creatures. I think the brilliant colours of the Kosmoceratops work well. As you said, your style is quite stylised. The strong colour blocks and contrasts fit well with that look. And they remind me of the hot summer we are having here!

Jose S.M.

That's great, I love the use of the blue, I know some people don't like those colors on Dinosaurs but applied in a good way they can make for an interesting look. You nailed it in my opinion. It looks great with the black on the frill and the blue eyes look good too.

Halichoeres

I actually like the color palette. It screams sexual selection, which seems to have been so rampant in this lineage.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Bokisaurus

Thanks everyone. The ceratopsian herd keeps on growing, there are now a totally of 10 ceratopsians ! :))

Anyway, I have a new mammal to show, this time we head down south to South America .
Meet Toxodon! ^-^ I was fasciated but his large animal and really enjoyed it's very short cameo in one of the those prehistoric park show.
[]
This figure was sculpted just after the Sivatheriums, there is one other mammal just ahead of it that I will post next.
Anyway, I like how it turned out, now I finally have aToxodon in my collection ^-^
[]

Well, hope you like her, I sure had a lot of fun sculpting this one. Till next time, Cheers, and thanks for looking!
[]

Sinornis

Fantastic work (rather enjoyment!) I love your color choices. Gastornis, Kelenkken, Diatryma and Dinornis are my personal favorites! Keep up the great sculpting and painting!

https://avianmusing.blogspot.com/

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.