News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Boki's Adventure in Sculpting:The Conclusion! (2/26/22)

Started by Bokisaurus, June 27, 2018, 07:31:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SBell

JohannesB

You are a real artist. The fishes and corals together make fantastic displays.

Bokisaurus

A big thank you everyone for your wonderful comment and suggestions, I take them all to hear to help me improve my work.
I'm glad that you guys enjoyed the reef and the fishes, they sure were fun to make. Since these guys, i have created 4 more reef scene that are specific for the larger species I intend to display them with. So keep an eye out, one of these days they will make an appearance! ^-^

Bokisaurus

Okay, the much delayed post!
I just realized that I am way behind in posting all of my finished work!
So, this next one is my very first attempt on a marine reptile. Since this one, I have made 6 more marine reptiles that I am happy about.
Meet my version of the large ichthyosaur , the mighty Shoniosaurus! I have always like this species and when I started, this was one of the species on my shortlist ( which now is a very looooong list! LOL!)
This was sculpted wayyyyy back, right after the very first fish I made. As you can see, it is rough on the edges. This was the final version obviously. When I first finished it, it was so odd looking, the head looks like an ice cream cone stuck to it's head! ;D
Th head was simply too round and beak pointy with very little transition. I almost threw this one out. It sat neglected for months ( finished it way back in late May) until one day I decided to see if I can salvage it.
So I re-shaped the head and added more bulk to it, as well as the beak and jaw/neck area.
[
You can see that the body is very rough and textured with a weird ridge running along the side ( my attempt on skin folds back then)
But I like how it turned out, so I finished dit and finally painted it.
[]

Who knows, one day I may revisit this one again.
Here she is with the base and reef scene I made specifically for it. The small ichthyosaurs can be babies or just generic small species swimming around the big one :))
[]

Well, I hope you like her. I will try to post my second marine reptile later this week. Again, thanks for looking, till next time, cheers! ^-^

Bokisaurus

Okay, it's been a while! I will continue the Marine reptiles theme this week since I really need to catch up ;D
So right after the Shonisaurus, I sculpted another marine reptile, this time one a predator. I considered a lot of species, eventually settled for Platycarpus.
Unfortunately, it did not turn out the way I planned, the snout is too long to be one. So instead, I decided that this one is a Tylosaurus ;D

Notice the blue background, this  one had proven to be tricky to photograph in black background. Even with the blue, it still was hard to get the colors and the details right. Hopefully it's not too distracting.
Here he is swimming on the reef with various critters. As you can see, the small accessory for the bases is employed and it was fun to change out or combine different ones.
Hope you like it. Little hans for scale idea.
[]

I also found some nice larger pieces of wood discard from the shop and use it as a  larger base to form a diorama or to just display the various figures all together. The holes can be cleverly covered by one of the small coral piece  :D
[]

I will post next the third figures, maybe tomorrow. There are two more after this, then afterward and after a long break from marine reptiles, I sculpted 3 more that are far far better than these guys.
Thanks for looking, Cheers! ;D

Bokisaurus

Okay, another marine reptile today.
This time it's the old classic Pliosaurus ;D I wanted to make one to keep my Fauna Cast figure company. I tried to make mine as close to the FC figure's size as much as possible.
[

I tell you, I almost gave up on this one due to how difficult it was trying to sculpt teeth on an open mouth! In the end, I decided to salvage it by doing away with the open mouth, after all, we have many open mouth predators already (my justification LOL), and went with the closed mouth version. It was still challenging, but much more easier.
I was happy enough with it that it survived the culling ;D
The colors were inspired by my clownfish, highly unlikely colors for a huge predator, but I think its fun.
[]
Here he is with his new mate ;)
[]

Well hope you like him, after this, I have an elasmosaurus, another classic, that I will post next.
Thanks for checking, Cheers! :)
[]

IrritatorRaji

Ahh, it makes my day when this thread it updated! Beautiful Pliosaurus, beautifully sculpted! I love how bold the colours are :)

Bokisaurus

Quote from: IrritatorRaji on October 17, 2018, 07:33:36 PM
Ahh, it makes my day when this thread it updated! Beautiful Pliosaurus, beautifully sculpted! I love how bold the colours are :)

Thank you! In due time, I will post something that I think you will appreciate more ^-^ So stay tuned, and thanks for looking :D

Bokisaurus

Okay, time for the fourth marine reptile. This figure will round out the quartet of the first phase of the marine reptile series. This one also mark the transitional from the earlier works and the much later ones. After this one, I took a break from marine reptiles and then just last month went on a binge again and sculpted 3 more species ^-^
I was inspired by CollectA's added little touches such as parasites. I think they really add more to the figures deputies being small. As you can see, this one has some barnacle-like parasites on her sides ^-^
[
[]

And here she is with some of the new reef accessory ^-^
[]

Hope you enjoyed this post. Next week, I think I need to catch up with the mammals as t here are some oldies but goodies still to post. Till then, thanks for looking and cheers!
[]

Jose S.M.

The marine reptiles are very good and I always like the way you paint your sculpts, the color schemes are always interesting.

Halichoeres

In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Bokisaurus

Okay, this week we go back to the mammal ^-^
This week, I plan on posting a trio of large mammals with the "therium" on their name ;)
That said, I will start off with one of the largest land mammal (that we know of anyway) that ever walked the earth, the mighty Paraceratherium!
I have always love this species and it was high up on my short list. It really is a shame that its been neglected by toy makers.The few that we have, like the retiring CollectA, is about the only large one from the major brands. Hopefully that figure will be replaced soon once it has retired.

Anyway, when I started, I wanted to give it the more classic, armor looking skin look. I also wanted to make it as close to the Fauna Cast model that I have so that he can have a mate :))
I tried that more classic, head held up look, but eventually changed it to look a little different. I originally plan on a pose that makes the animal look like it is drinking. But the neck ended up too long so I shortened it to what it looks now.
I sculpted this, along with the other "Therium" last week of August
[

One night I was finishing up trying to make a small elephant, but was having difficulty with it. So I decided to convert the small figure into a baby paraceratherium instead ^-^
It's little too big, but I didn't feel like starting over again.
So now I have a mother and calf ^-^  As you can see, the baby's color is inspired by a baby tapir!
[]

Here she is with the Fauna Cast model which is in 1:40 scale
[
[]

Well, hope you like her ;D Thanks for looking, till the next post, cheers!
[]

Jose S.M.

She looks really good and so does her baby, I love the baby tapir coloration! I can't wait to see the other "theriums" you are going to show us. I like the pose too, it's not typical standing or walking pose  but it looks natural.

Bokisaurus

Quote from: Jose S.M. on October 30, 2018, 11:39:54 PM
She looks really good and so does her baby, I love the baby tapir coloration! I can't wait to see the other "theriums" you are going to show us. I like the pose too, it's not typical standing or walking pose  but it looks natural.

Thanks ^-^ I will try to pose the next two tomorrow, cheers!

Bokisaurus

Since I'm so far behind, I will end the week with two figures to share. These two figure were both sculpted and painted at the same time, sometime in early August. They were sitting for a while unpainted.
These two species, Embolotherium and Arsinoitherium are favorites of mine and were high up on my short (not!) list when I started.
I usually try to take a photo of the unpainted versions, but I forgot to take one for these two until they were already primed with black paint!
Here we go...

Arsinoitherium
[
[[url=https://postimg.cc/Xp91yn4M]
]

Next up is Embolotherium
[]

Together, they are not to scale with each other of course ;D
[]

Bonus!
Well, here is one Oldies but goodies that survived the culling ;D
The classic Barylambda. He was one of the earlier works, finished way back in July. Too bad we don't have any toy figure if this interesting animal beside the old Ajax ones.
[]
As you can see, the colors were inspired by the Red Panda, he was originally painted with Raccoon colors, but it ended up looking just like a giant Raccoon ! ;D
That's it for this week, thanks for looking, till the next time, cheers! ^-^

Halichoeres

In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

Bokisaurus

Hello everyone! Another week, another new post update!
Today we go back to fishes ;D So here is something you may not have expected from me, a Dunkleosteus!
To be honest, this species was never on my original list. But one day, I was sculpting something else and decided to try and see if I can convert it to this guys instead.
[

I was happy enough with how it turned out that I decided to see it through to completion instead of ending up in the garbage bin ;D I completed the sculpt in early August, but it sat around for a while unpainted.
I was going for the old, classic look instead of the more current one.
There are plenty of anatomic errors, but, I'm happy enough. I gave it small scales on the body and chose a gold color to paint the whole body. I was inspired by the African knife fish colors and design, hence the eyespots on the body.
After I painted it, I decided to make a mini reef scene for it as well as give him little buddy to swim around with. But don't worry, the little guy is not eaten by the big one :))
[
The mini diorama
[]
And with some of his new gangster friends! :D
[
Well, I hope you like him. I had fun with this species despite it's flaws.
[]

I'm reaching the end of this sculpting adventure. I am finishing up 3 species, and then I think that would be it... for now anyway. But I still have LOTS to post, so hope you stay tuned.
Thanks for looking, till the next post, cheers! :))

Jose S.M.

I love the coloration, it reminded me of something but I couldn't place it until I read knife fish, then it was clear. I love its little buddy too!

Halichoeres

The color scheme really is striking! Is the little guy some kind of ptyctodont?

Bokisaurus

Quote from: Halichoeres on November 13, 2018, 02:43:18 AM
The color scheme really is striking! Is the little guy some kind of ptyctodont?

Thanks guys!
Yes, it's supposed to be some kind of ptyctodont species, although I think I made the dorsal fin a little too big ;D
[]

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.