News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Boki's Adventure in Sculpting:The Conclusion! (2/26/22)

Started by Bokisaurus, June 27, 2018, 07:31:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halichoeres

Quote from: Bokisaurus on November 14, 2018, 07:23:58 PM
Quote from: Halichoeres on November 13, 2018, 02:43:18 AM
The color scheme really is striking! Is the little guy some kind of ptyctodont?

Thanks guys!
Yes, it's supposed to be some kind of ptyctodont species, although I think I made the dorsal fin a little too big ;D

Maybe it's just a male of a so-far-undiscovered species :)
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Bokisaurus

Greetings, hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving!
So ramping up the posting ( I hope) since I have pretty much reached the end of my sculpting adventure ( for now anyway).
That said, I am posting a trio of figures at the same time.
Today, we have a trio of prehistoric elephants! Sick and tired of the woolly mammoths, I wanted to add some other species to my collection.
Here we go, I will post them in order of completion.....

First up is the odd Platybelodon. I always like this creature, so odd that it's hard to imagine how on earth did they eat? ;D
This was done way back in July
[]

Next we have Stegotetrabelodon - another odd one with even more outrageous tusk! This would be a cool one for one of the major brands to make ( Looking at you CollectA) ;D
This was finished in Early August
[]
[]

And last is the Deinotherium. Although there are enough figures of this species by major brands, I had to try my hands on sculpting on. This was on my original short list of species to make.
This was sculpted in September
[]

Group shot as well as the obligatory photo op with Owen ;D
[]

Well, it was a fun experience sculpting these guys. Hope you like them, next post will be back to the ceratopsians ;D
Till the next post, thanks for looking, cheers! ;)

Bokisaurus

Not a mammal or a dinosaur this time ^-^
My version of Placerias, that funny looking animal way before the dinos.
This was originally done to be the star of my diorama entry for this year. Unfortunately, time got in the way and I never got around to photographing it in the outdoors besides some test shots. As a result, I was not able to participate in this years contest :(
So anyway, I sculpted this one way back in late July.
Hope you like him :)
[]

I originally wanted to do a different species, a Jonkeria, but I came back to this since I do like the Placerias a lot and there is hardly any toy version out there.
Thanks for looking, till next time, Cheers! ;D
[]

Halichoeres

In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

Jose S.M.

I'm glad you decided for Placerias! I just love it since I saw walking with Dinosaurs.
The elephants are really nice too, I don't know how I missed them when they were first posted. Stegotetrabelodon is such a weird creature with those tusks!

irimali

Your placerias looks so lively!  Especially in that 4th pic.

Libraraptor

ceratopsian

I'm so glad you chose to make a Placerias - seeing it brightened up my day.  I have a soft spot for Placerias and we don't see them often enough. 

Bokisaurus

Hello, and thank you everyone! I'm glad you all enjoyed the Placerias, I sure had fun sculpting him ;D

My plan for my next installment is to post a dinosaur that many of you may no expect from me, so stay tuned! ;D

Bokisaurus

Okay, for my first new post for this year, I decided it's time to unveil my first and only theropod dinosaur!
I have been reluctant to do any theropod or biped dinosaurs for the simple reason that I have a hard time sculpting the legs, not to mention those teeth! :))
I'm sure a lot of you were not expecting a Spinosaurus from me ^-^
I have been fascinated by Spino so when I decided to try my hand on sculpting one theropod, I chose to do this species. My first attempt ended in disaster! As expected, I had a hard time with sculpting the legs and arms in a walking pose.
My original attempt was lated abandoned and eventually not wasted, but instead converted to another species ( more on this later, so stay tuned). My first attempt was way back in early August of last year.
[]

When I decided to give it another try, I decided to do one in a swimming pose. My original intent was to give my deluxe CollectA one a mate, so I based the size of this one on it.
I finished the figure Labor day weekend ( early September). I was happy enough on how it turned out, not perfect of course, but readable as a Spinosaurus :)) Now I am aware that the snout could be longer, I noticed that much later, but I did not have the energy to try and extend it as it was already a pain just sculpting the head and those distinctive teeth!
I wanted to show it in the act of swimming. I considered putting it on a rock base, but it just looks weird. So, like my fish and marine reptiles, I decided to suspend it using a pole.
[]

With it suspended high, the feet is so visible, so I tried my best to sculpt it the best I could. I also gave it a webbed feed, after all it swam ;)
As for the color, well this was the third option and also the most colorful one of the trio of possibilities. The first one was a black and white version, it looked cool, but sorta out of place for this animal. The second was brown tones with spots, like a baby tapir, but decided I wanted to see colors ( by now you all know I like my figures colorful! Haha! ;D)
[]

After I finished, I decided that the whole presentation was a little bland. The mini reef scenes I made looked empty ( the fish were to big). As I researched possible prey, I found an illustration of some Bahariya Formation inhabitants.
So, I decided to sculpt some of these animals as a companion for my Spino. I tried to sculpt them as close to scale, but I'm sure some are way off. I started with just one, but decided to do as many as I can tolerate. I left out the sharks ^-^

So here they are individually as well as with the Spino so you can see how they look together -

Mawsonia - The giant Coelacanth with the Spino
[]

Onchopristis - The giant sawfish
[]

Neoceratodus ( Gian Lungfish) and Bawitius (A giant Bichir) - I decided to put these two together
[]
[]

A small plesiosaur ( Polycotylidae) and a small generic fish ( it got damaged, the small anal fin broke off and got lost :-\ - Both of these were so fragmentary to identify the species
[]

With these additional critters, I was happy with the display stand. I like how it show some of the other inhabitant of the rivers and lagoons and possible prey of Spino. We know he won't be lonely or hungry ;D
Here are all the figures together for scale as well as with the spino in the large display stand
[]

Hope you enjoyed it. Little did I know that a few months later, both Safari and Schleich would announce their own new versions of Spino ;D
Unfortunately, in my excitement to paint the figure, I forgot to take a photo of it during the raw unpainted stage ???

Bonus: Some comparison with the CollectA deluxe as well as DinoMikes's older version of a spino swimming
[]

Thanks for looking and hope you like the figures. I promise I will post the sauropods ( first part) next, I think I have 10 of them now! Till then, cheers and Happy new Year!
[]

Jose S.M.

The Spinosaurus is the star of the group and it's great but I really love those animals that make it company. Lovely sculpts and color schemes!

ITdactyl

The Mawsonia's my favorite.  I love the color palette used - and he even has this happy look on him (I'm curious if that was intentional).

This set is awesome Boki.

Shonisaurus

How are you Boki? I come back from vacation and among other surprises I find this beautiful post of prehistoric animal figures made by your hands I congratulate you!

I love paraceratherium, dunkleosteus, shonisaurus (my namesake in my pseudonym) and recently in your beauties of elephants platybelodon, deinotherium and stegotetrabelodon among other figures.

Going to the recent figures I like very much your spinosaurus is very well modeled, by the way it is huge as big as Collecta spinosaurus I suppose that compared Schleich spinosaurus with this beautiful figure in size will be a miniature next to your work. The colors of the spinosaurus are very attractive and what I said I regret not having visited this post more often because I am amazed by the works of art that DTF members do.

I congratulate Boki, you could market your products without any problem.

Halichoeres

Wow, you've been busy! What a great set of aquatic critters. I especially love the Mawsonia and Bawitius.

Bokisaurus

Thanks everyone, glad you guys like them ;D It sure was fun making the Spino, but I really enjoyed the additional critters more myself. In the future, maybe I can add more like the sharks.
I have pretty much reached the end of my sculpting, I sculpted my last piece back in Early October. But don't worry, I still have so many finished pieces to post... I have like 10 sauropods, 4more new marine reptiles, 8 ceratopsians ( notice my new signature  ^-^), and a few more mammals! PLUS i have a  group of what I call redemption group, these are newer versions of some of my favorite very first sculpts that I felt needed redeeming ;D If you like fishes, make sure to stay tuned!
So yeah, lots more to share.

At the end, when I have posted all of my figures, I plan on doing a whole review of the process and experience as well as a whole group summary of all the different groups I made.
Thanks again for all the support and nice comments, cheers!
^-^

Bokisaurus

Here is a bonus one. Remember when I mentioned my first attempt at Spino and that it didn't go well so instead of discarding that version, I converted it instead to another species. Well, here it is, an Ouranosaurus! ;D
It was a pretty easy decision since there is no other dinosaur that is close to Spino's shape.
This figure is much larger than if I made one specifically of it since I used the body that was intended for the Spino.
Oddly, just like the sauropods, I had a hard time with hadrosaurus. I tried to make both a Lambeosaurus and Olorotitan, but both did not look right to me.
Anyway, I was happy enough on how this turned out so I decided to keep and finish it.
[]

The color scheme was another option I considered for the Spino and almost went for it. But in the end, I felt that there are enough spino art out there that sorta have this design. I think it worked better for this one.
Cheers! ;D
[]

ITdactyl

HAHAHA B @Bokisaurus , even your discard turn into gems.  That Ouranosaurus is great - you really put a lot of character into your sculpts.  While I'd prefer a different neck curvature, I really am enjoying this batch.

[Weird, despite Spino being the star of the batch, I really prefer his companions]

Shonisaurus

Nice ouranosaurus Boki if a toy dinosaur company made a figure of this dinosaur so little exploited commercially as you show it would not hesitate to state without any doubt that it is better ouranosaurus done so far except for Battan ouranosaurus that for I am a legendary figure.

It makes a good pair with your spinosaurus.

SBell

Quote from: Bokisaurus on January 08, 2019, 07:07:02 PM

Neoceratodus ( Gian Lungfish) and Bawitius (A giant Bichir) - I decided to put these two together
[]
[]

For the record, if you ever decide to cast that Bawitius let me know since I need every bichir I can get! I was hoping I'd see a Bawitius when I saw your topic re: Spinosaurus and swimming friends!

Jose S.M.

I was waiting to see your Ourano since you mentioned you made one. I was expecting an interesting coloration and I was not dissapointed! I love it

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.